• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK magazines (1 Viewer)

Cyclops

1 eyed tree hugging nature nut!
I've been out of the loop for a while and with all these austerity measures, businesses closing etc I was wondering how many birdwatching magazines are currently available in the UK and which people prefer. I'm not a twitcher, not interested in counts, (my life list is unknown, probably sub 200), or going across country to see a rare bird, I'm just interested in birds, their diversity and ethology . I know of two magazines, but I'm wondering which one would best suit me, a casual birder who's a geek with an interest in natural history.

Think the only 2 birding magazines you can get single issues over the counter are Birdwatch & Birdwatching which you can probably peruse at your local WH Smith. I subscribe to the former.

If you have a more broad interest in UK natural history, British Wildlife comes thoroughly recommended, but you would have the same issue with subscription, but I believe you can get a free back issue for trial.

I subscribe to this & British Birds too.

Last edited:
Your choices are effectively British Birds - probably too scientific for your interests judging by your description - Birdwatch (weighted towards reports of various levels of rarities) and Birdwatching, which is less rarity-oriented and covers a wider spectrum.

As Andy says Birdwatch and Birdwatching will be in your local newsagent. Both are monthly but if you decide you like one you can save a little with an annual subscription. I get both as one is included in my bird information package and the other I get free as I used to write a monthly county report and they have not stopped sending it. And if you want to check 'BB' then I am sure they would send you a sample copy.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back