Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

ebird android source code

Old Thursday 16th January 2020, 08:48   #1
THE_FERN

ebird android source code

Anyone know if this is available, and if so where?

(Obviously will ask them if necessary)
Old Thursday 16th January 2020, 16:43   #2
njlarsen
Opus Editor

you mean source code for the ebird app? I would not expect that to be available.

Niels

Recently moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 16th January 2020, 19:18   #3
THE_FERN

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
you mean source code for the ebird app? I would not expect that to be available.

Niels
Yes I mean that. I find it strange that publicly-funded bodies like Cornell can keep things closed source but I guess the revolution hasn't reached all parts. In principle, it's possible to reverse-engineer...
Old Thursday 16th January 2020, 19:46   #4
jmepler
It's just a flesh wound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_FERN View Post
Yes I mean that. I find it strange that publicly-funded bodies like Cornell can keep things closed source but I guess the revolution hasn't reached all parts. In principle, it's possible to reverse-engineer...
Cornell Lab of Ornithology is not publicly-funded. It is supported by 75,000 members.

There is no charge for the eBird or Merlin Bird ID apps, despite the fact that they have spent a tremendous amount of time and money developing it. Why would you possibly think that you should have access to the source code? What purpose would there be in reverse engineering something that is already available free of charge?
Latest lifer: #375 Barrow's Goldeneye
Latest Pennsylvania lifer: #343 Harlequin Duck
Latest Lancaster County lifer: #304 Varied Thrush
Use eBird to record your bird sightings.
Old Thursday 16th January 2020, 19:48   #5
Hauksen

Hi,

Quote:
I came across this Open Source system a while back, because I wasn't happy with the state of affairs either:

http://openbiomaps.org/documents/en/introduction.html

From their main (Hungarian) page, I'd guess this seems to be an active project with good participation, just from looking at the dates and names of the events mentioned there (as I don't read Hungarian).

Not really what you asked for, but I think this OpenSource effort deserves honourable mention in this context anyway ;-)

Regards,

Henning
Old Thursday 16th January 2020, 21:33   #6
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmepler View Post
Cornell Lab of Ornithology is not publicly-funded. It is supported by 75,000 members.

There is no charge for the eBird or Merlin Bird ID apps, despite the fact that they have spent a tremendous amount of time and money developing it. Why would you possibly think that you should have access to the source code? What purpose would there be in reverse engineering something that is already available free of charge?
I agree, I'm not saying the original poster has any malicious motives, but I'm guessing the source code could be used to compromise the integrity of the data on a larger scale if it got into the wrong hands?
And I guess this could be the case for many crowdsourced / "public owned" initiatives. You pay for the end product, not the intellectual property behind it.
Having said that, there is access to the interface protocols of ebird, as there are several apps and tools which interface with ebird.

Last edited by peter.jones : Thursday 16th January 2020 at 21:37.
Old Monday 20th January 2020, 10:55   #7
THE_FERN

I like some aspects of the current gen of ebird app: now can be used off line I've actually started using it (where I bird there's often no signal). But there are quite a few things is want to change for my own purposes. Having the source code a) ensures I can make sure any modifications remain compatible with the core ebird functionality, b) speeds up development.

Not going to rehearse the general reasons for open source here, but suffice to say the arguments about data security in the last post are somewhat naive. Be assured that I'm clever enough that I wouldn't be posting to a public forum like this if my motives were malicious...
Old Monday 20th January 2020, 14:30   #8
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

or the data integrity could be compromised unintentionally of course, more by accidental coding error than maliciously
Old Monday 20th January 2020, 15:31   #9
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:
I like some aspects of the current gen of ebird app: now can be used off line I've actually started using it (where I bird there's often no signal). But there are quite a few things is want to change for my own purposes. Having the source code a) ensures I can make sure any modifications remain compatible with the core ebird functionality, b) speeds up development.

Not going to rehearse the general reasons for open source here, but suffice to say the arguments about data security in the last post are somewhat naive. Be assured that I'm clever enough that I wouldn't be posting to a public forum like this if my motives were malicious...
Some of the changes you would like to see might be on their radar but others not. You can use the give feedback option in the app itself to reach the people in charge as far as I know.

Niels

Recently moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 7th February 2020, 03:24   #10
brdy

Unfortunately it appears to be closed source and I can't find any license information. However, it appears you can get an API key to query the website which returns data in JSON. Maybe you might find that useful.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: