• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nest building in October in Scotland? (1 Viewer)

Over the last few days two Tree Sparrows have been busy building a nest in a nestbox in our garden. They are coming in with a variety of items - dried leaves, small twigs and feathers. They do this for a few hours each day and then leave until the next day. This is nearly Winter in Scotland so intrigued as to why they are doing this at this time of year. They don’t seem to be using it for roosting. The box is regularly used by Blue Tits every year in Spring. They are likely to be part of a small group of Tree Sparrows that have been resident locally for some time and are regular visitors to our feeders. I’d have posted a photo on my gallery. Anyone else seen this behaviour?

If there's a good food supply, sparrows, like pigeons, will readily breed year round. I've seen newly fledged House Sparrows on Boxing Day, and newly fledged Wood Pigeon on New Years Day :t:

Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to taking part where I can. Also thanks for including the link to my photo - wasn’t sure how to do that

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back