• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Damara -or- Black-headed Canary : South Africa ? (1 Viewer)

LKB-28

Hi guys;

After your valuable help again please!

With the 'pied' head on the male and the white-ish brow & cheeks on the female; are this pair Damara Canaries -or- regular Black-headed Canaries?

Seen at West Coast National Park, north of Cape Town, South Africa; September timeframe...

MANY thanks in advance...

Cheers;

Lee

Attachments

• 170923-1005-FB-BF.jpg
    170923-1005-FB-BF.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 47
Looks like a hybrid to me.

Depends what list you use but the IOC do not recognise Damara as a species.

We have photos from Namibia which show the same head pattern but that pattern is reverse of what is shown in the book. Damara is shown with a largely white face and black moustachial spot which is the exact opposite of what yours and mine show.

The book state that hybrids are unknow but it also also depicts an all pale bill on Damara which is not apparent on mine or yours either?

Attachments

• rsz_dsc_5983mod.jpg
    rsz_dsc_5983mod.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back