• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what birds of prey will carry off prey while its still alive? (1 Viewer)

scuba0095

Always been curious. So far I understand that the sea and fish eagles do it when catching fish/water snakes. But it doesnt seem like such a good idea due to the fact that the snake often bites the eagles feet in the process!

scuba0095 said:
Always been curious. So far I understand that the sea and fish eagles do it when catching fish/water snakes. But it doesnt seem like such a good idea due to the fact that the snake often bites the eagles feet in the process![/QUOTE]

Hi scuba0095

I think most of them would have no hesitation in carrying off live prey, unless of course they needed to subdue it first, as per poisonous snakes etc.

nirofo.

i read something about the eagles feet being protected from snake bites?that they r hard and scaly or something like that,even if the snake bites it doesnt penetrate

I think they can carry the snakes alive because they probably either hold the tail or the head which means the snake can't bite said raptor

Otto McDiesel said:
Just because it's dangling it doesn't mean it's alive. The snake, that is... ;)

Hi Otto

That's right enough, however I have seen Short-toed Eagles carrying a live snake, it could clearly be seen wriggling in the birds talons! Whether or not the birds are able to tell the difference between a poisonous and non poisonous snake I don't know, I doubt they would have the time to take much notice as they dropped onto the prey.

nirofo.

Otto McDiesel said:
Just because it's dangling it doesn't mean it's alive. The snake, that is... ;)

I can assure you that on more than one occasion I have seen both Short toed Eagle & Buzzards with live snakes. Where we used to stay was in the middle of the mountains near Gaucin (south of Ronda). It was a relatively common affair to see mainly the Eagles with one and the occasional Buzzard.

Due to the position of the Finca we had extremely close up views of the birds with their prey and you could see the movement of the snake quite easily.

I did notice that in all cases the snake was being held fairly close to the head with the rest of the body dangling.

John

Reader said:
I can assure you that
I know - just teasin'. I've seen them myself, but sometimes the snakes were dead for sure. Serving live slithers to the chicks probably teaches them how to catch and handle their own when the time comes. It's like our mamas serving us a a live cow instead of a meatloaf.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back