• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How does heavy snowfall effect our garden birds? (1 Viewer)

Mary Evelyn

Today , as I kept an eye on the birds feeding,a Chaffinch feeding on one of the open bird tables was almost covered in snow.It fell within inches of the bird.
I then realised -because of the heavy snowfall.How dangerous this must be to the birds.
I always try to ensure there is plenty of food and that they can make an escape from from Sparrowhawks etc. but the overhead snow???
I do brush it off the bushes etc but there are areas I can not reach.
What do you do?Please B :)

Last edited:
Mary Evelyn said:
Today , as I kept an eye on the birds feeding,a Chaffinch feeding on one of the open bird tables was almost covered in snow.It fell within inches of the bird.
I then realised -because of the heavy snowfall.How dangerous this must be to the birds.
I always try to ensure there is plenty of food and that they can make an escape from from Sparrowhawks etc. but the overhead snow???
I do brush it off the bushes etc but there are areas I can not reach.
What do you do?Please B :)

They're sturdier than they look. Unless it's slabs of ice or great cakes of snow sliding off roof tops, then don't worry. They'll just shake it off and keep going. They've been doing that for millions of years, so unless your yard is an avalanche area, just enjoy the peacefullness of the white fluffy stuff and uncover the seed when it gets buried.

Cheers,
Scott

p.s. Speaking of flying snow and birds, if you ever have the chance to tromp through grouse habitat after a fresh snowfall, there's nothing quite like the experience of having a grouse explode from under your feet in a frenzy of snow and feathers. It's not for the faint of heart.

Funny you should bring that up Cavan....I was just this afternoon thinking that it might be a lot easier to see Grouse up by Linhope Spout and the moors over that way since they are covered in snow now....may just wrap up warm and get over there tomorrow.
May have to get up before hubby though to pinch his 4X4....no way would my little Micra manage it LOL

GILL

cavan wood said:
They're sturdier than they look. Unless it's slabs of ice or great cakes of snow sliding off roof tops, then don't worry. They'll just shake it off and keep going. They've been doing that for millions of years, so unless your yard is an avalanche area, just enjoy the peacefullness of the white fluffy stuff and uncover the seed when it gets buried.

Cheers,
Scott

p.s. Speaking of flying snow and birds, if you ever have the chance to tromp through grouse habitat after a fresh snowfall, there's nothing quite like the experience of having a grouse explode from under your feet in a frenzy of snow and feathers. It's not for the faint of heart.
Thankyou for that Scott.
I will forget the grouse though I am faint hearted o:)

Chuck a couple of apples on your lawn and you will be surprised what turns up at this time of year, especially after snow, you might get fieldfares, redwings, song and mistle thrushes and blackbirds. As well as many others

Jake Apps said:
Chuck a couple of apples on your lawn and you will be surprised what turns up at this time of year, especially after snow, you might get fieldfares, redwings, song and mistle thrushes and blackbirds. As well as many others
Already done Jake-Plenty of birds here. o:) Blackbirds Thrushes and Starlings all tucking in. o:)At least they were earlier.

LOL, this thread reminds me of my first feeding efforts upon first moving to Arizona. I thought I was doing the birds a favor in the winter by placing seed on the ground under the trees, especially the more lushly foliaged junipers. It was an okay idea during and immediately after a snowstorm, but as soon as the temps came up, the poor little juncos, finches and siskins would get pelted with globs of snow falling off the trees, some of them bigger than the birds.

But as Scott said, they adapt readily and nobody got buried for more than a second or so. ;)

Katy Penland said:
LOL, this thread reminds me of my first feeding efforts upon first moving to Arizona. I thought I was doing the birds a favor in the winter by placing seed on the ground under the trees, especially the more lushly foliaged junipers. It was an okay idea during and immediately after a snowstorm, but as soon as the temps came up, the poor little juncos, finches and siskins would get pelted with globs of snow falling off the trees, some of them bigger than the birds.

But as Scott said, they adapt readily and nobody got buried for more than a second or so. ;)
Again Thankyou Katy.I feel a lot better now.I would hate to place the birds in danger . o:)

As Jakes comment points out there are a number of things birds do when the weather is difficult. Some stay put and eat our offerings, others move. Some move locally, some move further. I'll get to my local patch daily for the duration of the cold spell (sometimes if I can manage it twice per day). I'll also keep my eyes on the sky. I've seen a number of birds during cold spells that I've not seen at any other time. I'll also increase the amount of feed I put out. (The apples went out this morning). The rate it disappears is approximately double when its particularly cold.

Last edited:
I have had so many birds in to feed John but the depth of the snow for the first time ever- gave me concern.
The snow on our trees etc was so deep I thought it could crush the smaller birds if it was to fall.However this thread has made me feel much better.

According to "weather and bird behaviour" snow has lots of effects, some benefits and some not. If it is loose, it may actually be a source of shelter. If there are borders to the regions of snow where it is melting, then it will also be a source of water. Snow Buntings, Meadow Pipits, and others can benefit from insects blown on to snow that get trapped and killed. On the other hand, especially if has a heavy crust on top, it can stop birds getting at food on the ground and even trap them if crusts form on top of burrows. I think I saw somewhere else that even very cold conditions aren't necessarily a problem in themselves: they mean that birds need more food, but if they can get that food they will survive OK (remember that Homo Sapiens is a tropical animal, unlike British birds, who evolved to handle this climate).

mcdowella said:
According to "weather and bird behaviour" snow has lots of effects, some benefits and some not. If it is loose, it may actually be a source of shelter. If there are borders to the regions of snow where it is melting, then it will also be a source of water. Snow Buntings, Meadow Pipits, and others can benefit from insects blown on to snow that get trapped and killed. On the other hand, especially if has a heavy crust on top, it can stop birds getting at food on the ground and even trap them if crusts form on top of burrows. I think I saw somewhere else that even very cold conditions aren't necessarily a problem in themselves: they mean that birds need more food, but if they can get that food they will survive OK (remember that Homo Sapiens is a tropical animal, unlike British birds, who evolved to handle this climate).
Thankyou for that.Anything to make life easier for the birds is good by me. o:)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back