• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wuhan University (1 Viewer)

Hi
I am attending a conference at Wuhan University in late March and wondered if anyone was (or new of) any birders at the University that could give any advice on how to make the best of any spare time for birding on/near the campus. I know that there is even a book about birds of the University, but it is in Chinese (therefore not so much use to me).
thanks in advance,
Keith

Hello Keith,

That's far from my part of China, but I've been there once and can share a bit:

This is the eBird summary for Hubei province: link.

In 2010 March I visited the Wuhan Botanical Gardens. Here is my checklist: link. I can vaguely recall leaving more than a few species unrecorded due to my uncertainty with that region's species.

I still recommend visiting the Botanical Gardens because they are easy to get to, have a wealth of habitat, and are easily walkable.

Here is the Baidu Maps link to the gardens: link.

Bus 413 from the south gate of Wuhan University will take you directly to the garden entrance in 45 minutes. Board the bus at 八一路珞珈山站 (Ba yi lu luo jia shan zhan).

Let us know how it goes, and please share your checklist(s) on eBird!

Hi
I only managed a fairly quick walk around the University campus - which was very busy because of the Cherry Blossom Festival. I did manage to the see the following species:
Mountain Hawk eagle
Speckled piculet
Masked laughing thrush
Grey backed thrush
Chinese blackbird
Dusky Thrush
Naumann’s thrush
Yellow-bellied tit
Eastern great tit
Black throated tit
Pallas’s warbler
Yellow-billed grosbeak
Azure-winged magpie
Black-billed magpie
Oriental Turtle-Dove
White Wagtail
Oriental Magpie-Robin
Crested Myna

As so often with a flying visit for a conference work gets in the way of birding!
Cheers
Keith

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back