• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Elephant Hawk Moth (1 Viewer)

MothMan228

Hello all,

I found a elephant hawk moth larvae in my garden sometime last summer. It formed a cocoon not long after I took it. I found out from various websites that it would spend a good few months in it's cocoon state before emerging in late May, however, it has hatched today half way through January. I'm unsure as to why, possibly the conditions I kept it in were too warm. Anyhow, what would be the best option for me to keep it alive until summer time to ensure it completes it's cycle?

Many thanks

Unfortunately, moths do not live that long as an adult, once developed. They're main activity will be to seek a mate and feed on host nectar rich flowers which you wont find in the middle of January. Enjoy the beauty of it whilst it is with you and perhaps garden for wildlife if you can. Perhaps put some ivy or small twig in a container so it can rest.
Its emergence now is as you said down to artificial temperatures interfering with the natural life cycle.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back