• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch? - Mountain Washington State - USA (1 Viewer)

BodyResults

I found this bird at about 5,500 feet elevation in the North Cascade Mountains (Mt Shuksan). It was perched on a tree right next to a small cliff face. It did not make any calls that I heard.

Unfortunatly I had very little focal length to take the picture. This was a 105mm lens on a full frame.

I'm wondering if this is a Gray-crowned Rosy-finch?

Are there any other possibilities?

Thanks
Doug

Attachments

• gcrf-1.jpg
    gcrf-1.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 102
  • gcrf-2.jpg
    gcrf-2.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 77
  • gcrf-3.jpg
    gcrf-3.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 103
  • gcrf-4.jpg
    gcrf-4.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 121
Never seen one but from looking at photos on the internet it fits very well. Unsure of any confusion species so probably better to wait for confirmation from others with more experience.

Thanks everyone for the confirmation.

Late in the day when the sun was not hitting the snow ice worms came to the surface. I saw a couple birds about the same size as the pictured Gray-crowned Rosy-finch flying around and briefly landing on the snow. I suspect they were eating those worms.

Does anyone know if that would likely also be Gray-crowned Rosy-finches?

Late in the day when the sun was not hitting the snow ice worms came to the surface. I saw a couple birds about the same size as the pictured Gray-crowned Rosy-finch flying around and briefly landing on the snow. I suspect they were eating those worms.

Does anyone know if that would likely also be Gray-crowned Rosy-finches?

Could be. Here's what BNA-online has to say on the subject--

"Often forages along edge of receding snow on cutworms (Noctuidae) and germinating seeds. . .".

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back