• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Making movie with Pinnacle Studio - please help!!! (1 Viewer)

Cuckoo-shrike

I've put together some camcorder clips with Pinnacle Studio 9, but I can't achieve step 3 - making the movie!
I can play DVDs on my PC so assumed that I would be able to write the movie to a DVD-R, but when I follow the prompt and insert a blank DVD-R in the drive, nothing happens.
I tried copying it on to a video but nowhere in the Help section does it tell me how to connect the VCR to the PC (the firewire socket on my camcorder is labelled "DV out").
Can someone kindly help?
Many thanks.

Aquila said:
Any takers? My fist is itching to go through my monitor screen..............

Hi Aquila,

Never tried writing to DVD-R so can't help you there.

As your camera is only labelled DV-OUT then it may not have the facility to write back to tape. DV-IN is often missing from cameras sold in the UK (as they are classified as video recorders and attract more tax or some stupid reason). You can sometimes buy a widgit which will enable the DV-IN, but not on the budget cameras (I have the entry level digital Sony which cannot).

Hi Andy,

What CAN you output your movie as - .avi, .mpeg ...?

You say you can PLAY DVD's - do you have the facility (hardware and software) to write to DVD?

Do you have an ASPI layer installed? (not sure this is relevant, but ...).

Have you checked the instructions/FAQ's etc. from Pinnacle (there may be more help files on the installation CD/website)?

Andy.

Andrew Rowlands said:
Hi Andy,

What CAN you output your movie as - .avi, .mpeg ...?

You say you can PLAY DVD's - do you have the facility (hardware and software) to write to DVD?

Do you have an ASPI layer installed? (not sure this is relevant, but ...).

Have you checked the instructions/FAQ's etc. from Pinnacle (there may be more help files on the installation CD/website)?

Andy.
Thanks Andy. Yes, there is a facility to output as avi and mpeg but I wouldn't know how. Any easy answers?
My (D) drive is described as DVD/CD-RW so I assumed I could write to DVD-R without additional hardware/software.
Sorry to be such a complete useless duffer. I've tried reading all sorts of instructions but they all assume a level of (basic!) knowledge which I don't seem to be able to pick up on.
ASPI layer - no idea!

Aquila said:
Thanks Andy. Yes, there is a facility to output as avi and mpeg but I wouldn't know how. Any easy answers?
My (D) drive is described as DVD/CD-RW so I assumed I could write to DVD-R without additional hardware/software.
Sorry to be such a complete useless duffer. I've tried reading all sorts of instructions but they all assume a level of (basic!) knowledge which I don't seem to be able to pick up on.
ASPI layer - no idea!

So your DVD/CD-RW may just be a DVD player plus CD (re)writer. Can you find the model number?

You could output to a .avi or .mpeg and burn that to CD; that should give you a movie CD to test out.

The ASPI layer is a software interface layer that is sometimes required to be able to write to CD/DVD (I think it depends on the software you use - an ASPI layered software may be more efficient, closer to the hardware?).

Try a basic CD movie first - keep the size down to about 650MB - that'll give you a baseline.

Andy.

Thanks Andy. I've copied it on to a CD but of course the quality is poor. Looks like the simplest solution is to invest forty quid in a DVD rewriter. Then I presume it will be straightforward.
Thanks again for all your help - it's very kind of you.

Aquila
Yes you need a dvd writer. In Studio after capture, edit the picture. When edit completed go to make movie, ie stage 3. You wnat to make an mpeg of the highest quality, once you have done the settings then click on make movie after inserting a blank dvd of course. If you are not sure try writng to a dvd +rw to check playing on your dvd player through your tv if you have a separate dvd player.

The best advice really is to go through the studio tutorial, this will tell you how to make titles, create chapters and of course make the movie. I have used studio for many years and found it works fine. Do check the Pinnacle websites for updates.

Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back