• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss victory pocket 10x25 (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
Anyone have this pocket ? how is in quality optics and mechanical construction ? I have looking for a good bino pocket, maybe a 10X best that a 8X model for landscape observations, of large range..
Thanks
wachi

Could readers please comment on their experience with this model in this configuration (10x25), or direct me to any review/s? Thanks.

There are a few "customer reviews" in retailer websites, but in BF or other optics forums I can only recall seeing a brief reference to this binocular in some other thread in this forum.

For comparisons, I have the 8x25 of this (it is my main binocular), have had the Leica Ultravid 10x25 (field of view 5.2 vs 6.0 deg. in this), and have viewed through a friend's Nikon HG-L/Premier 10x25. In the matter of color rendition I like the Nikon's, am content with the Zeiss, and not that satisfied with the Leica's!

Could readers please comment on their experience with this model in this configuration (10x25), or direct me to any review/s? Thanks.

I have 10x25 and 8x25 Zeiss Pocket binos, and I think they're both terrific. Currently the 10x is my favorite "grab-and-go" bino, and it doesn't disappoint. The 6 deg. field is a noticeable improvement over the 10x Leica's 5.2 deg., though that one is still my favorite daypack bino because of its great performance in a very compact package.

I'm not especially sensitive to color rendition in binos, knowing that my left eye gives a slightly redder image than the right, which tends toward blue; I'm quite satisfied with all the little alpha 10x binos (Zeiss/Leica/Nikon/Swaro), but I think The Zeiss Pocket "punches above its weight", as they say.

Thank you John. It is very useful to me to learn that the greater FoV vs the Leica is that noticeable.

A bit surprising that this model (in 10x) is not more popular and commented on here. I do see that the 8x with its qualities as often described will have a wider appeal.

Maybe the Leica "feels more packable" because of its slimmer barrels and "denser", tougher feel in the hand.

Hi
I don't think the lack of action on the 10x25 is any reflection of its quality; probably more that - when dealing with 25mm objectives - lower mag is going to improve the light at the eye, thus putting them more in a 'general purpose' category.
I have the 8x and use it a lot - probably more than anything recently, what with a lot of on-foot, local birding trips. Fantastic little binoculars.

I agree Paddy7, and that is part of what I tried to convey by saying of the 8x, "its qualities as often described." I seem to remember something negative (slightly?) being said of the 10x in comparison to the 8x, but cannot recall what, in BF. The "packable" comment was in response to John's remark.

Thanks Interoception I searched through all 16 pages of that thread, which is on the 8x25, but find that the 10x is mentioned there, by several people, only to ask my question! John above makes a brief response in it, and another person a says bit more but has got the model confused, as he/she says they have had that binocular for 10 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had my 10x25's for somewhere around 10 years now. They are stupidly good optically and I prefer the Zeiss design over Leica and Swaro. I did a lot of comparing before choosing these. I bought them, primarily, for SAR operations over the 8x20's. They are about perfect for hiking and general purpose. The only real issue with mine is that with they eyecups fully extended, my eyelashes get tickled in the small cups. While I'd prefer them fully extended, I've had to adapt to having them mostly in. I usually wear a ball cap in the field and gripping the brim of the hat with my fingers while holding the bins with my thumbs and marrying the two lets me get an incredible view for such a narrow field. Colors and resolution are really good, especially as mine are the original version. If I were buying today, I'd get the 8x25's which were not an option all those years ago.

CSG, thanks for trying to help, but you are mistaken about the model! The last sentence in my post just above refers to you, in post #377 of that thread. This present model was introduced in 2017, as seen in this other thread. The earlier model was, I believe, not called "Pocket" by Zeiss.

There are a few "customer reviews" in retailer websites, but in BF or other optics forums I can only recall seeing a brief reference to this binocular in some other thread in this forum.

For comparisons, I have the 8x25 of this (it is my main binocular), have had the Leica Ultravid 10x25 (field of view 5.2 vs 6.0 deg. in this), and have viewed through a friend's Nikon HG-L/Premier 10x25. In the matter of color rendition I like the Nikon's, am content with the Zeiss, and not that satisfied with the Leica's!

Adhoc,

I have the 8x25 Zeiss VP and the 10x25 DBA Oasis by Opticron which has identical specs as the Zeiss 10x25 especially same FOV at 315'. The possible disadvantages of the 10 as mentioned by others are tricky eye placement and reduced brightness especially in lower light. Also, the FOV of the Zeiss 8x at 395' is much larger than the alpha competition, e.g. the Swaro 8x25 has 357'. In 10x the competition is much closer. Zeiss 10 has 315' while the Swaro 10 has 294'. I think this is a big reason the 8x Zeiss attracts a lot more attention than the 10x. I like both formats for different uses, but if i had to pick one it would be the 8x25 for more versatile all around use.

Since you like the Zeiss 8x25 and have experience with other quality 10x25 models then if you are not bothered by the tricky eye placement and are willing to trade a lot of FOV for the 10 mag you will probably be very happy with the Zeiss 10x25 for viewing at longer range.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Thanks Mike for those points. I had forgotten about the Swaro. 10x25 and must look up its reviews. I very briefly had the Opticron DBA-Oasis 10x25 but its clarity and color rendition were not comparable with alpha.

What I wonder most about the Zeiss Victory-Pocket 10x25 is whether it has the same easy viewability as the 8x25 of that model. This quality lies beyond what can be calculated from the measures of exit pupil, eye relief and FoV. Adhoc

I have used the 8x25 extensively for the last two years, often on trips away with it as the only binoculars taken. From this experience, i would point out one thing that might - depending on the intended use - make the 8x a slightly better bet.
This is principally to do with distance work; binoculars this small with little weight resistance against the arm can be tricky to keep motionless. Up close, the Pocket is the best compact bin i've ever looked through, but can be more difficult at distance, just because any slight motion in the arm/hand is going to have an effect. I would think this is likely to be more of a problem with 10x and the increase in mag. I'm talking about fairly long distances here though - probably 250m and upwards.

Just to repeat the requests at posts #1 and 2 above!

This model (and the 8x25) has been around 4 years now.

Thanks Paddy7 for the caution but a bit of conscious steadying will remedy that somewhat and steadying on a fixed support will give much more detail (about as much as most good 15xs handheld).

adhoc, it appears that few here have tried or bought the 10x25. You're just going to have to try one yourself and report back! As a regular user of 10x32, even I chose the 8x25 VP to try... (and was very impressed but didn't get along with the eyecups)

adhoc, it appears that few here have tried or bought the 10x25. You're just going to have to try one yourself and report back! As a regular user of 10x32, even I chose the 8x25 VP to try... (and was very impressed but didn't get along with the eyecups)
What were your issues with the eyecups? I find they are not quite long enough for me and am considering 3d printing another set.

Edmund

Yes, not long enough. (I don't wear eyeglasses) Also the small diameter might feel tricky/uncomfortable if they were, but I suppose that goes with the pocket size. I wonder whether you'd like to make them with a bit larger end diameter.

Yes, not long enough. (I don't wear eyeglasses) Also the small diameter might feel tricky/uncomfortable if they were, but I suppose that goes with the pocket size. I wonder whether you'd like to make them with a bit larger end diameter.
I have the same impression. A bit larger at the end and longer sounds like a good idea.

Edmund

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back