• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Affordable 8x32 roof recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Labdad

I'd appreciate any recommendations for 8x32 (or possibly 8x30) waterproof roofs for consideration, with best optical performance subject to the following constraints:
• available in US
• $300 - $500
• ED glass
• phase-coated prisms
• minimum 7.5° FOV (395 ft @ 1000 yds)
• at least 25 year (preferably lifetime) warranty

I do not wear glasses while using bins.

I've been using Eagle Ranger SRT 8x32 for several years and have been mostly satisfied with them but the focus wheel is starting to intermittently stick and there are a bunch of flecks of debris visible when looking through each barrel from the objective end (junk on prisms?). Time to upgrade.

I recently tried the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 and, though I had high expectations I had a hard time consistently getting a good view without blackouts in one eye or the other. Very unforgiving adjustments of IPD and position for me. Eye relief not right for me?

Interested to hear folks' recommendations in the hopes of building a short list (2 - 4 candidates) that I can order and compare side by side, then (hopefully) return all but one. Particularly curious about Zeiss Terras.

Thanks in advance.

Leupold Pro Guide 8x32 , $399 at B&H, made in Japan, lifetime warranty
Meopta Meopro 8x32
Kowa BD XD 8x32hec
GPO Passion ED 8x32, $299 at Costco under model name Spectra

There are others like the Opticron Traveller 8x32 and Vanguard Endeavor II 8x32 but I cant reccomend those as the ones I bought had terrible build quality. Others here have had very high quality units of those though so they might be worth trying out. I’ve owned all of the ones listed and they all have nice optics and build quality. The Kowa only has a 10 year warranty so that probably disqualifies it.

I don’t have a lot of experience with many models but I do own the Zeiss Terra ED in 8x32. I believe it has all your features. I feel the view is not as bright as it should be. The resolution in center of field is pretty good for price. I bought them because I had no experience with 8x32 binoculars and found them on sale for $200 (older model with under armor harness, discontinued). I quickly found out 8x32 is a favorite size and daytime view, I feel I get my $200 out of them, I don’t think I would have been happy at their full $400 price. Upgraded to Leica Ultravid HD 8x32 and never looked back. Good luck with your search.

If it were ME I'd try:

Maven B.3 8X30- You can demo one at no obligation. A nice binocular but ER didn't work for me. Since you don't wear glasses, probably a nice choice.

Monarch 7 8X30- I'd give them another try. I've had mine quite a while. Haven't had nary an issue. Watch for sales(LL Bean for one).

MIJ Vortex Viper HD 8X32- I've had mine a long time. It's been a proven performer. MIJ stands for made in Japan. This model is no longer being made but frequently on eBay.

That's about all I have experience with in this price range.

One more thing...

Upland has a Zeiss Conquest HD 8X32 on the classified- $575.00 That's like around a $900.00 binocular new. I'd sure try to stretch your budget and see about those. Just a thought.

One more thing...

Upland has a Zeiss Conquest HD 8X32 on the classified- $575.00 That's like around a $900.00 binocular new. I'd sure try to stretch your budget and see about those. Just a thought.

Definetly check out used. I bought my Ultravid HD's used. Save a ton of money that way and get great stuff. Plus, you don't have to worry about putting that first bit of wear and tear on it. Remember, the minute you take a new one out the box, its used! ;)

That said, I got a buddy I try to tell that to but he just likes new stuff. If that's you then you gotta do what lets you sleep at night. The used route has a bit more risk, here you're buying the seller so make sure they're legit and have a return policy.

Consider also the little Sightron 8x32... It's a proven performer at an even better price than some others. It doesn't tick all the boxes, but it does many...

Of the ones you specifically mention, the 8x32 Meopro HD I had was pretty good. The biggest issue I had with it was glare/flare, but I have problems with most binoculars regarding this particular aspect so it's maybe just something to do with my eyes/eyeglasses. To my eyes, the Terra are not worth the Zeiss name. I couldn't justify recommending them relative to other options in the price range (and I'm a big fan of Zeiss Victory series, so don't think I'm hating on Zeiss, and I also own cheap and Made in China binos, so it's no bias against those particular facets either).

I'd agree with Chuck that the best deal you will find is Upland's Conquest HD.

Justin

To my eyes, the Terra are not worth the Zeiss name.

Justin

I'm not sure I can defend that. I do think it's a serviceable bino at a $200 price point. I did not, nor should one, expect Victory ($2000+) performance at that price. That said, I can see how it can cheapen the brand name. I'm sure there are better options for the OP. Personally, I'd take the deal on the used conquest.

I would suggest the Meopta Meopro 8x32 as a best in it's price class option. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss it
Have a great day,
Doug

JG

Looks like the Spectra models don't have ED glass but have HT glass instead:
http://gpo-usa.com/spectra/

Lee

My “guess” is that they actually have the same glass but GPO is doing CMA. Would they really pay to have an entirely separate run for Costco with different glass? I doubt it. I don’t think GPO has had the sales they were hoping for and are trying to get rid of some inventory through Costco.

I would suggest the Meopta Meopro 8x32 as a best in it's price class option. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss it
Have a great day,
Doug

Decent binos but flare is a problem. Also hard to keep in focus. These observations have been noted by many others. I bought a pair and had the highest hopes for them. Unfortunately they weren’t realized. The MeoStars are excellent but cost about $900.

My “guess” is that they actually have the same glass but GPO is doing CMA. Would they really pay to have an entirely separate run for Costco with different glass? I doubt it. I don’t think GPO has had the sales they were hoping for and are trying to get rid of some inventory through Costco.

I checked this out with GPO, USA and the Spectra models are not redirected inventory but are closely related to the Passion ED models with the single expensive ED glass element replaced with HT glass. GPO believes that while the birdiing market wants ED glass the general public would rather have the lower price. The performance is pretty similar but the Costco link-up enables GPO to build volumes by entering the general market rather than confining themselves to birding/hunting.

Lee

I checked this out with GPO, USA and the Spectra models are not redirected inventory but are closely related to the Passion ED models with the single expensive ED glass element replaced with HT glass. GPO believes that while the birdiing market wants ED glass the general public would rather have the lower price. The performance is pretty similar but the Costco link-up enables GPO to build volumes by entering the general market rather than confining themselves to birding/hunting.

Lee

Thanks Lee. Good to know. Not sure why anyone would buy the Costco model then as the EDs can commonly be found for not much more.

I checked this out with GPO, USA and the Spectra models are not redirected inventory but are closely related to the Passion ED models with the single expensive ED glass element replaced with HT glass.

Hi,

I think that answer should be taken with a pinch of salt... although I can understand them well...

Regardless, one cannot just replace a single element in an optical instrument with one made from a different glass without redesigning the optics. And that is the expensive part you need the sale numbers to pay for.

Joachim

Thanks Lee. Good to know. Not sure why anyone would buy the Costco model then as the EDs can commonly be found for not much more.

Spoken like a birder Upland and I agree for the same reason, but the ordinary guy who has never heard of or couldn't care less about ED glass won't mind.

Lee

Hi,

I think that answer should be taken with a pinch of salt... although I can understand them well...

Regardless, one cannot just replace a single element in an optical instrument with one made from a different glass without redesigning the optics. And that is the expensive part you need the sale numbers to pay for.

Joachim

Agreed and GPO did say other changes were necessary so blame me for making the post too concise. I should explain that the word 'single' meant simply that only one element needed to be changed from ED glass to high transmission glass, it was not meant to say that this was the only change.

Lee

Last edited:
I'm not sure I can defend that. I do think it's a serviceable bino at a $200 price point. I did not, nor should one, expect Victory ($2000+) performance at that price. That said, I can see how it can cheapen the brand name. I'm sure there are better options for the OP. Personally, I'd take the deal on the used conquest.

I too found the Terra ED optically too dark, and the moving parts were really stiff. The difference between the 8x32 Terra ED and the 8x32 conquest was huge.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back