• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

News Series - Oceans starting on BBC 2/12th November 2008 (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

http://www.bbc.co.uk/oceans/

There is a new series of Oceans (8 parts) starting on BBC 2 8-9pm on Wednesday 12th November 2008. An article is written all about this TV series in next weeks Radio times.

Philippe Cousteau will be following his families footsteps (remember Jacques Cousteau from all those years ago - showing my age here) will be presenting the show amongst others

I think it will be great all round viewing, and is available on BBC i-player once again :t:

Last edited:
*Red Alert* 'Oceans' starting tonight BBC 2 8-9pm

Looking forward to watching this new program tonight.

I think it will really enjoyable to see! o:)

Got the HD box (or whatever it's called!) set as we speak :t:

Been looking forward to this since I first heard about it o:) The oceans fascinate me and I could watch programmes about them 24/7 :t:

I watched this last night having not seen any of the previous shows and really enjoyed the programme. Good to know the BBC can and still does produce quality 'nature style' TV.

Di

Hi there

I really enjoyed the program and it gave us an insight into how some breeds of Sharks have become less than what they where years ago.

The comparison film between seeing lots of Hammerheads swimming about years ago, to todays investigation of the same area was heartfelt. Not a shark in sight.
It has been put down to peoples taste for Shark fin Soup!
The underwater gear that was worn was special as it produced no bubbles to scare of the sharks. There was no sharks to scare of anyway.

The Whales where fantastic to see and the divers where so confident and keen to see their subject - they did not hesitate to dive in. No fiddling about with gear like in the old films by Jacques many years ago.

The breed of Octopus (name escapes me) looked a bit daunting as it is not a good thing to have in that area if the ocean - just a replacement for species that are not around so much like the Hammerhead Sharks.

Loved the way that a breath was got from the whale with a model Helicopter - good idea. :t:

Super program and looking forward to seeing it next week once more. :t:

BBC i-player (41 days left to watch)!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00fm9hn

The underwater gear that was worn was special as it produced no bubbles to scare of the sharks.

'Re-breather' equipment is being used by more divers nowadays, apparently, so I'm not sure that it's 'special' - not sure of the technicalities of it (my mate services divers' breathing kit so he knows more about it than I do).

I could have done with a few less close-ups of the girl with the ring through her nose - not very flattering at all, I thought ;)

'Re-breather' equipment is being used by more divers nowadays, apparently, so I'm not sure that it's 'special' - not sure of the technicalities of it (my mate services divers' breathing kit so he knows more about it than I do).

I could have done with a few less close-ups of the girl with the ring through her nose - not very flattering at all, I thought ;)

hi Adey

Thank you for your information. Is it true that Re-breather equipment can be dangerous if not used in the correct manner? ;)

I have to admit I did not like the jewellery thought the girls nose. I might be showing my age here! :eek!:

hi Adey

Thank you for your information. Is it true that Re-breather equipment can be dangerous if not used in the correct manner? ;)

I have to admit I did not like the jewellery thought the girls nose. I might be showing my age here! :eek!:

I'm not a diver so I don't know the ins and outs of breathing equipment (though I do work on diving suits), but all kit needs to be used correctly or it could be potentially dangerous. Re-breather kit has to be set-up correctly, as the programme said, though most of those that use it seem to be the more experienced divers.

I think the programme was trying to make the divers involved into heroes or something, which is fair enough, as you sort of get to admire them for taking the risks in order to study the environmental problems of the oceans. Having seen the state that some divers let the equipment get, I reckon they're all barking mad - but I can't even swim, anyway, so I'm probably biased!

The facial jewellery is definitely a generation thing - I reckon it looks ugly but younger folk don't seem to mind...

I was dissapointed with the first episode. I thought it was a little to dumbed down and frankly, patronising. You didn't need to be a brain surgeon to work out that the colony of Sea Lions had found food somewhere else. The finding of one skull of a Hammerhead on a beach nearby doesn't constitute wiping out the species. Maybe they didn't want to dive if the sea was full of sharks.
Fishing for Squids then diving in with a camera? Hardly ground breaking photography.
How environmently friendly is a remote control helecopter(where did he come from?) to get samples of whale breath?
Sorry to be so negative but to me this felt like "I'm a Celebrity diver, get me on camera"
rather than a wildlife programe.

Doesn't help that i've just been watching Planet Earth, which shows how wildlife programs should be made.

Hope Oceans improves.

Sorry to be so negative but to me this felt like "I'm a Celebrity diver, get me on camera"
rather than a wildlife programe.

The 'Radio Times' for the day in question said 'Although this series purports to tell the "hidden stories of the planet's oceans", this opening programme focuses more on the workings of the expedition setting out to explore them and its attractive members...'

So you're not alone in your views!

It does seem to be the norm nowadays with this type of programme to try to make heroes out of people doing their job rather than the results of that job, so I hope, too, that we saw more of the creatures of the deep, rather than all the problems of the members of the group.

I suppose we'll have to but up with 'dramatic' moments where they have to make a choice on how far they dive on the oxygen they have left and how careful they need to be when coming to the surface after a deep dive and all the other stuff that divers normally deal with on a day to day basis

I suppose we'll have to but up with 'dramatic' moments where they have to make a choice on how far they dive on the oxygen they have left and how careful they need to be when coming to the surface after a deep dive and all the other stuff that divers normally deal with on a day to day basis

Hi Adey

It is a fact when the original program with Jacques Cousteau, to me it was very dramatic in the sense that divers would occasionally put their lives at risk for filming purposes. Sharks being one of the risks :eek!:
It would be good if there was some risk taken for the change meeting with an more unusual underwater creatures.

One area that comes to mind from the program format from all those years ago - is when the divers would go to the deepest parts of the ocean bed where life would be flimsy to the point the animals would be blind and white.
This was serious Health and Safety issues. I would think H & S would come into its own these days, so therefore the thought of getting the 'bends' would not appeal so much. :eek!:

The divers took some incredible risks with their lives then, and that has to be admired about them all those years ago.
Now the equipment is so much more sophisticated now and that changes all the risk factors altogether.

I hope it not all plain sailing for the crew in this new program, and we get some edge of the seat drama. All the better for viewing purposes. ;):-O

http://www.bbc.co.uk/oceans/

Oceans Part 2 - i-player

I watched it this morning as a major 'Footie' match was on so I could not see it.

Again it was interesting to see all the undiscovered Wildlife, Shipwrecks, and plant life underwater.

Loved the article about the 'Weedy Sea Dragons' what beautiful creatures.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back