• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Handa Island (1 Viewer)

JTweedie

Hi all, I've been thinking of a few different places to visit during the summer. One that jumped out was Handa Island in the far northwest of Scotland. I'd quite like to get good views of Skuas and other seabirds (I'm aware I can see most of these at other locations), but I was hoping to visit some geological sites in the area too.

Has anyone else been there?

I went many years ago - magical! I absolutely loved it. The scenery is superb. As we were rowed across by the local boatsman (who didn't seem to care if people paid him or not - I did!) there were Black Guillemots and Red-throated Divers surfacing by the boat. Brilliant views of Great and Arctic Skua plus Rock Dove as well. It meant more to me at the time as many of these birds were new. However, even without the birds it's a great place to visit.

Handa's great... one of those "must go back again islands".

We've just got some basic information at the moment in Opus. I strongly recommend you aim for the first ferry, so make sure you get there in good time.

The path through the middle of the island takes you through the Skua nesting area.

D

Thanks for the replies, makes me more keen to go than ever. Would feel privileged to be dive-bombed by a skua! I certainly intend to get there early, the more time on the island the better.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back