• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Louisiana birders ? Info please. (1 Viewer)

Cuckoo-shrike

I'm thinking of planning a birding trip to Louisiana next April and would appreciate answers to a few questions:

1. What's the weather normally like at that time - temperature, rain, humidity?
2. Are mosquitoes and other bugs a problem then?
3. Is there an area of the state that encompasses the major habitats for the special birds of the region plus migrants? Two species I'm especially keen to see are Kentucky and Swainson's Warblers.

Thanks.

Andy

Just saw this old thread but since it's asking about the future still...

1. Temperature varies but most of the time, mid 80s-low 90s. Humidity is normally high. If we're lucky, we get rain on or slightly off the coast that causes a fallout.
2. Mosquitoes can be quite bad in the woods. Long pants, long sleeves on a shirt and perhaps a bug net for the head. They usually aren't bad enough for the net until summer though.
3. Define special birds? What's special to you might be ho-hum to me since I've lived here all my life. Kentucky shouldn't be hard. I'd recommend a trip to the coast to see one. Swainson's is tougher. I rarely see them on the coast during migration and they might not have territories set up yet in April.

Just saw this old thread but since it's asking about the future still...

1. Temperature varies but most of the time, mid 80s-low 90s. Humidity is normally high. If we're lucky, we get rain on or slightly off the coast that causes a fallout.
2. Mosquitoes can be quite bad in the woods. Long pants, long sleeves on a shirt and perhaps a bug net for the head. They usually aren't bad enough for the net until summer though.
3. Define special birds? What's special to you might be ho-hum to me since I've lived here all my life. Kentucky shouldn't be hard. I'd recommend a trip to the coast to see one. Swainson's is tougher. I rarely see them on the coast during migration and they might not have territories set up yet in April.

Thanks for your help. Sounds too hot for us so we'll look into states further north!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back