• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird watching (and wildlife) Santa Barbara (1 Viewer)

Eos9

United Kingdom
Hi - I am currently planning a trip to Santa Barbara for approx 10 days in mid-late March.
I am already hoping to take one or two whale watching trips during my stay but would appreciate any advice on good locations to photograph birds and other wildlife during my visit.
My partner has a bad knee so we are ideally looking for places that do not involve a lot of strenuous hiking if possible.
We shall have use of a car so we are not entirely confined to Santa Barbara itself - a 1-2 hours drive would be ok if need be.
I particularly enjoy photographing Shorebirds but in reality I enjoy all wildlife so any suggestions for good places to visit would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

This response might be coming too late, but just in case you’re still in the throes of your SB trip, hopefully you’ll check out nearby Channel Islands. Lots of seabirds to see there. UCSB also does a local tour program if you are interested: http://copr.nrs.ucsb.edu/about/programs/tour-program. And if you are up for the drive, the Bolsa Chica wetlands is probably most well known for its seabirds in SoCal, but it’s about a 2+ hours’ drive…if there’s no traffic. I’m not entirely familiar with SB, but there’s a local SB blogger worth checking out and hitting up for advice if you haven't concluded your trip: http://birdcamoncheltenham.blogspot.com/

Good luck bird watching, and hopefully you weren't caught out during the huge rainstorm last week!

Hi - I am currently planning a trip to Santa Barbara for approx 10 days in mid-late March.
I am already hoping to take one or two whale watching trips during my stay but would appreciate any advice on good locations to photograph birds and other wildlife during my visit.
My partner has a bad knee so we are ideally looking for places that do not involve a lot of strenuous hiking if possible.
We shall have use of a car so we are not entirely confined to Santa Barbara itself - a 1-2 hours drive would be ok if need be.
I particularly enjoy photographing Shorebirds but in reality I enjoy all wildlife so any suggestions for good places to visit would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Not sure how I missed this post. This reply is likely too late, but here goes. A great source of information on all things birding in Santa Barbara County is here:

http://www.sbcobirding.com

From there you will find access to the pretty active local newsgroup and a guide to various locations. Let me know if you have questions about accessibility about any of the sites.

Wim

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back