• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

Well even though it was nippy yesterday it had been busier the previous days. I think thats due to the Sparrowhawk returning for the past couple of days and actually catching something [think it was a Dunnock].

We are doing well for Coal Tits we have been getting 3 coming in, other years we have been lucky to get one. Seems as if it has been a good year for them.

This cold snap has certainly made everything a lot busier at my birdtable and finally my tree sparrows have come back. They arrived for the first time last winter and raised two successful broods this year and then disappeared. House sparrows arrived last winter too and also bred successfully, they've been eating me out of house and home ever since!

My Goldfinches tend to eat the peanuts, I gave up with the Nyger seed as it just blew away in high winds.

Love the recipe for the LTT Moraybirdlover. I presume it's just plain flour that you use? I get them in the garden but they haven't ventured to the feeders yet. That sounds like the ideal thing to tempt them.

TS

I've had a very busy week at my feeders, normally it's just great tits, blue tits and coal tits but we also added long tailed tits, chaffinches, greenfinches, starling, bullfinch, house sparrow, goldfinch, wren, robins and a blackbird. Plus one very determined yet unsuccessful grey squirrel.

I've got a day off tomorrow so hoping for more quality garden action. Only lived here for a month so i'm sure there's more varieties to come. Before we bought the place the previous owner mentioned that they sometimes had woodpeckers in the garden so i'm crossing my fingers for that.

The one problem i'm having though is the seed from my feeder is falling out and ending up all over the grass. i don't understand how it's happening as you'd have to shake the thing quite consistently for that amount of seed to come out. Anyone got any suggestions on how to solve this?

I found the lightweight plastic seed feeders literally emptied themselves whenever it was very windy. Since getting a much more substantial metal (and more expensive of course!) seed feeder, much less is getting wasted.

Hope you get the woodpeckers visiting soon. I still find it a thrill to see them. Quite jealous of your bullfinches, I still haven't had any in the garden yet!

TS

My resident familys are:
Dunnock (6 Birds total)
Robin x (3 Birds)
Blackbird (6 Birds)
Collared Doves (12 Birds)
House Sparrows (8 Birds)
Woodpigeon (6 Birds)

Daily visitors are Blue Tits, Great tits, Coal Tits, Chaffinches, Starlings, Magpie,Carrion Crow

Frequent Visitors are Goldfinch, Jackdaw, Greenfinch

Less Frequent visitors are Sparrowhawk, Heron!! (Yet no water, I wonder why it bothers?), Tree creeper, GSW, LTT, Song Thrush, Redwing

Never had a Jay or Nuthatch :(

Very quiet in my garden last 3 days, Dunnocks, Blackbirds, House sparrows still busy, all Tits, Finches just showing now and again............. and so few of them

Ah ha...........

Bit more lively yesterday and today, although when the 40+ Starlings come (twice a day regular as clockwork) the little ones dont show too well until the starlings have all fed, watered and washed!!

Coal tits a plenty same with the Blue tits, Dunnock and Robin, a couple of Great tits all day, chaffinch male (2) female (2) and a new garden tick with a couple of Gold crest in the willow trees

Hows others doing with their feeders today?

Dave

My feeders are getting hit fairly hard, mainly the open tray, but I don't really see what's going on it as it's dark when I go to work and getting dark when I come home. I did come home early on Tuesday and saw my robin on the feeder tray and a male blackbird taking some of the remaining cotoneaster berries on the bush while out loading up my garden waste bin.

...the robin was soon on the disturbed pile when I went back indoors. :t:

An interesting thread this, i have several feeders up including a table and also feed loose on the ground. I feed a mixed seed, and niger in a seperate feeder. I also feed suet pellets out of a dedicated feeder and these along with peanuts are never touched i have no idea why. I am lucky that i live next to a small wood and have open fields to the back. Todays list, as i saw them from this morning. Pheasants male and female, coal tits, marsh tit, great tit, blue tit, chaffinch, dunnock, robin, goldfinch, collard dove, green finch, greater spotted woodpecker (good views of him today) woodpigeon, blackbird, fieldfare, no redwings today which is unusual as they have been appearing with the fieldfares most days, sparrowhawk (failed again today) and a tree creeper. Must ahve missed the long tails that are here most days and untill recently we have had a resident reed bunting.

Dont you just hate the early dark nights........ enjoy the weekend watching

Yes I am really fed up!! Dark when I get up, dark when I return from work!!:-C Not even enough time for a birding lunch break lately either!
Managed to have a short time watching the feeders yesterday. Lovely to see the long tails again:t:. I always hear them before I see them, which is useful.But I am never quick enough to get a good photo!!
Hi Falconer, that is quite a list!!

Last edited:
On 2-10 shift this week. This suits me fine so I can get out on local patches or can use most of the day light with an eye on the garden feeders.

Today was very dull with loads of drizzle but managed to atract about 25 BH Gulls that swept down to the lawn to collect bread, althouigh a few took the risk to land and pick up, 2 jackdaws joined in the fun, 60+ starling then 2 Rook eventually saw them all off....

Feeders a little less manic and somewhat quiet with 4 Coal tit, 2 Blue tit, 2 Chaff: 1 M 1F, Plus resident Dunnock, Robin , Blackbirds on the apples

I was delighted yesterday to see my first siskin of the winter, a beautiful,neat looking little female. She is quite feisty, not allowing any other bird beside her, on the peanuts!

Yesterday in the Garden: 09.15 - 13.00
Long Tail Tits 6 Blackbird 1m 2f Dunnock 1 Robin 1 Coal Tit 1
Blue Tit 1 Starling 50+ House Sparrow 2m 5f Sparrowhawk 1
Magpie 2 Collarded Dove 1 Jakdaw 3 Rook 2 Goldfinch 2
Carrion Crow 10+ G S Woodpecker, Greenfinch 2 Chaffinch 2

Getting more lively now, The GSW came not long after I had put some peanut butter in a small tree hollow, but went straight for the suet balls for 15 minutes befoe moving on...

This morning had a fleeting glimpse of a Blackcap but not long enough to be positive ID so no garden tick yet:(

Last edited:
Yesterday in the Garden: 09.15 - 13.00
Long Tail Tits 6 Blackbird 1m 2f Dunnock 1 Robin 1 Coal Tit 1
Blue Tit 1 Starling 50+ House Sparrow 2m 5f Sparrowhawk 1
Magpie 2 Collarded Dove 1 Jakdaw 3 Rook 2 Goldfinch 2
Carrion Crow 10+ G S Woodpecker, Greenfinch 2 Chaffinch 2

Getting more lively now, The GSW came not long after I had put some peanut butter in a small tree hollow, but went straight for the suet balls for 15 minutes befoe moving on...

This morning had a fleeting glimpse of a Blackcap but not long enough to be positive ID so no garden tick yet:(
Sounds like a busy garden.Are you on late shifts again?

Busy busy

Hi Moray yes still on 2-10 shift, my prefered option in the winter, I like 6-2 in spring and summerB :)

The garden is just getting busier now (much like Falconers garden also) but when the rude boys (Starlings) come bursting in it does go quiet for a while as they take over. A bit annoying really but its part of the bird world i`m afraid.

I have attached a quick pic of the GSW on Monday, it loved the fat balls, didnt show today while I was about, maybe waited till I had gone to work....

Thought I had a blackcap this morning but it was still very poorlight through the bins so wasnt sure as it flitted off quickly, will attempt to put some apple halves in the tree to see if they come.

Enjoy the garden its amazing what comes in to feed, just hoping for Blackcap nuthatch and Brambling now:t: or a Siskin
Dave

Attachments

• Greater-Spotted-Woodpecker.jpg
    Greater-Spotted-Woodpecker.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
I haven't seen our garden in daylight for over a week now. We are visiting daughter No.1 this weekend in Hucknall, Notts so it'll be another week before I see it. My better half did spend yesterday at home though. Busy making Christmas puds and cakes. This is Carols through the kitchen window back garden list for 28/11/08.

Greenfinch and Chaffinch, about 30 of each on and under feeders, 26 Fieldfares after the remains of the apple crop, Great Tits, Blue tits, Coal Tits and Marsh Tits all after sunflower seed. 2 Moorhen, these come from a pond across the road and feed on seed dropped from feeders. 6 Goldfinch feed on niger seed. Wood Pigeon and Collared Dove always here with a cock Pheasant clean up anything dropped to the ground. 6 Tree Sparrows and a House Sparrow on the mixed seed feeder. A male Sparrowhawk misses everything and then attacks the sparrows but they are in a dense Berberis bush and he can't penetrate it. He retreats to the ash tree and preens for a while before leaving. The regular Magpie turns up with a single Starling to check out the bird table. A Wren searches the woodpile and a goldcrest flits around the conifers. Robin, Dunnock and Blackbird turn over fallen leaves and finally a Yellowhammer, the first since Spring, feeds on mixed seed dropped by sparrows. 2 Grey Squirrels get to the sunflower seed again, must put more vaseline on the pole.

Hopefully next weekend I'll get to see whats eating all this expensive seed, but at least I can bird at work!

Lewis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back