• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pelagic trips Chile (1 Viewer)

tringbirds

I have tried contacting a number of Chilean sites advertising pelagic trips out of Valparaiso, but unfortunately none reply. Either the mail does not get there or they cannot be bothered to reply or perhaps there is some other genuine reason. This is all a little frustrating as I shall be in Chile next month and am wanting to take a pelagic trip as the reports read of a fantastic experience.
Has any one experience of organising a pelagic trip or knows of a genuine company which organises such trips?
thank you

When I went (December 2000 I think), we didn't have anything booked. The gen we had told us to just turn up at the docks at Valparaiso the day before with binoculars and somebody will realise that there are birders after a pelagic. Must admit, I like to have these things booked in advance, but on this occasion it worked perfectly for us. Within 10 minutes or so we had negotiated a price on a fishing boat for the next day. The fishermen had obviously done it before and provided chum and the day worked out perfectly; a fantastic pelagic.

That said, the boat's engine did fail and we ended up drifting without any communications half way to Easter Island whilst they repaired it. If memory serves, they tried to charge us afterwards for the extra hours we had out at sea!

Toby

I could not get the dates to fit with pelagic on Fantastico Sur, but did a one day (land-based) outing in Patagonia with them and had a fantastic day.

My Chile report from 2009 is here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=161985 At that time, we used Aconcagua Birding for the pelagic, but their website seems not to work at least today.

Niels

I could not get the dates to fit with pelagic on Fantastico Sur, but did a one day (land-based) outing in Patagonia with them and had a fantastic day.

My Chile report from 2009 is here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=161985 At that time, we used Aconcagua Birding for the pelagic, but their website seems not to work at least today.

Niels

Hi Sorry for delay in responding. Aconcagua appears to be now Chileanbirding with whom I am arranging a trip, but communication is painful.
Both have similar sites and same leaders. Just hope it works out as I have sent my deposit. They appear to be genuine but until I get there...?
cheers
Doug

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back