• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

13th annual Big O Birding Festival (1 Viewer)

Andy Wraithmell

aka Limeybirder
Save the Date

March 9 to 13 2014

Birders Wanted: March 9-13, 2014 on the Southwest Shores of Lake Okeechobee, and sites throughout Hendry and Glades Counties, Florida. Tours by boat, bus, swamp buggy, and more. Enjoy 4 days of tours, presentations, great food, passionate birders, and superb scenery, all in Florida's Freshwater Frontier. This festival features many of Florida's most sought after species; Snail Kite, Swallow-tailed Kite, Limpkin, Burrowing Owl, Crested Caracara, Roseate Spoonbill, Wood Stork, Painted Bunting, Least Bittern, Purple Gallinule, Fulvous Whistling-duck, Mottled Duck and much, much more.

PO Box 456 LaBelle, Florida 33975

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-O-Birding-Festival-March-9-13-2014/192206487531773

I tried to send an e-mail with queries about the various field trips offered on Tuesday and Thursday of the Festival, but I can't tell if it went through (because I had to log on again). If I do the J-7 Ranch field trip on Wednesday, what options for Tuesday and Thursday, should be my priorities in order to maximize the diversity of birds, habitats, and chances to enjoy birding in a different part of the country? (I live in south-central Texas, so have previously seen most of the birds seen at this festival last year.) My best chances for seeing a life bird are likely to be after the festival, if I have a chance to go to St. Sebastian River Preserve State Park, not far from where my friends live. So many birds! and too little time! Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

Big "O" Birding Festival

I tried to send an e-mail with queries about the various field trips offered on Tuesday and Thursday of the Festival, but I can't tell if it went through (because I had to log on again). If I do the J-7 Ranch field trip on Wednesday, what options for Tuesday and Thursday, should be my priorities in order to maximize the diversity of birds, habitats, and chances to enjoy birding in a different part of the country? (I live in south-central Texas, so have previously seen most of the birds seen at this festival last year.) My best chances for seeing a life bird are likely to be after the festival, if I have a chance to go to St. Sebastian River Preserve State Park, not far from where my friends live. So many birds! and too little time! Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

Here's what I'd suggest:
Tues. Lake Okeechobee by boat then one of the free Carpool trips, Wed. night Owl Hoot. and Thursday Devils Garden Bird Park and on your own to Fisheating Creek WMA (Palmdale). I tried to upload last year's list. If it doesn't come through can you e-mail [email protected]?

Last edited:
Here's what I'd suggest:
Tues. Lake Okeechobee by boat then one of the free Carpool trips, Wed. night Owl Hoot. and Thursday Devils Garden Bird Park and on your own to Fisheating Creek WMA (Palmdale). I tried to upload last year's list. If it doesn't come through can you e-mail [email protected]?

Save the Date

March 9 to 13 2014

Birders Wanted: March 9-13, 2014 on the Southwest Shores of Lake Okeechobee, and sites throughout Hendry and Glades Counties, Florida. Tours by boat, bus, swamp buggy, and more. Enjoy 4 days of tours, presentations, great food, passionate birders, and superb scenery, all in Florida's Freshwater Frontier. This festival features many of Florida's most sought after species; Snail Kite, Swallow-tailed Kite, Limpkin, Burrowing Owl, Crested Caracara, Roseate Spoonbill, Wood Stork, Painted Bunting, Least Bittern, Purple Gallinule, Fulvous Whistling-duck, Mottled Duck and much, much more.

PO Box 458 LaBelle, Florida 33975
863-675-0444

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-O-Birding-Festival-March-9-13-2014/192206487531773
Check out the Big "O" Website for updates. More information to be posted soon. http://www.bigobirdingfestival.com

Big "O" Updated Schedule

View attachment 479994QUOTE=Mmcguire;2877579]I tried to send an e-mail with queries about the various field trips offered on Tuesday and Thursday of the Festival, but I can't tell if it went through (because I had to log on again). If I do the J-7 Ranch field trip on Wednesday, what options for Tuesday and Thursday, should be my priorities in order to maximize the diversity of birds, habitats, and chances to enjoy birding in a different part of the country? (I live in south-central Texas, so have previously seen most of the birds seen at this festival last year.) My best chances for seeing a life bird are likely to be after the festival, if I have a chance to go to St. Sebastian River Preserve State Park, not far from where my friends live. So many birds! and too little time! Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
STA5 Today South Hendry County Florida

STA5 South Hendry County Jan. 25, 2014
Driving access:
Driving trips Feb. 1, Feb. 15, Feb. 16, Feb. 17, March 8, and March 9.
Reservations required contact:
Margaret England LaBelle www.hendrygladesaudubon.org

Big “O” Birding Festival Information www.bigobirdingfestival.com (March 9-13).

Walking/bicycling: Public Access no reservation required for Walking/bicycle access Friday, Saturday, and Monday during daylight hours.

Stormwater Treatment Area 5, Hendry, US-FL Jan 25, 2014 8:30 AM - 3:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling 25.0 mile(s) 93 species
Link to list:
http://www.hendrygladesaudubon.org/.../Stormwater-Treatment-Area-5-Jan.-25-2014.pdf

Register for Big "O" Birding Festival

Register today for openings at the Big "O" Birding Festival.
Start your adventure with the Meet and Greet and Keynote speaker
Sunday March 9th from 5 to 9 p.m.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back