• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

paint shop pro (1 Viewer)

tizziec

So best Buy has this on sale $30 and I have to go there tomorrow or tuesday anyway to pick up a note card order (OMG I HATE that place)

What i need to know is, should I bother. Is paint shop any good, is it worth paying anything for, and how is it to use. I am a complete computer know NOTHING but I am always interested in software that will allow for delicate fine tuning. Right now everything i use came with one piecew of equiptment or another. Mostly I use Picassa in conjunction with Nero photo. I used to use photosuite, but to tell you the truth I never loved it and it was quite slow.

So help me out here

tizziec said:
So best Buy has this on sale $30 and I have to go there tomorrow or tuesday anyway to pick up a note card order (OMG I HATE that place)

What i need to know is, should I bother. Is paint shop any good, is it worth paying anything for, and how is it to use. I am a complete computer know NOTHING but I am always interested in software that will allow for delicate fine tuning. Right now everything i use came with one piecew of equiptment or another. Mostly I use Picassa in conjunction with Nero photo. I used to use photosuite, but to tell you the truth I never loved it and it was quite slow.

So help me out here

PaintShop Pro is very good indeed. But it is a fairly complex bit of software that'll need a bit of effort before you can exploit it to its full potential. That said, they still make it pretty easy for the novice user to do the same sorts of things that you'll be doing with Picasa.

If it's the latest version (XI) or even the previous version (X) then $30 is a great price and I'd leap at it.

Im still using V7.04 VERY happily, alongside Photoshop 7. Its well worth it, unless it is a MUCH older version (V5 sucked).

hth

Paint Shop Pro is excellent.

I use PSP X, and it wants for nothing compared with Photoshop Elements.

It takes some getting used to (as do they all) but it is very capable indeed.

johnrobinson said:
Sorry I missed this earlier.
I started on PSP4 and am on 9 now . I use 7 for most of my work because I am so used to it. Iuse 9 for the fill in flash and backlight feature.
Have alook at my gallery - all the pics are psp processed if there has been any need to.
I reckon its the best there is. There seems to be this myth surrounding photoshop and I know a lot use it because they feel they ought to.
Cheers
JohnRobinson
No myth with me John - I have tried both and much prefer CS2.

So I guess at $30 ($70 instant savings special) it's worth it. I just hope my imagelad order gets there before the sale is over as I HATE to go there more than absolutely necesary. That store gives me a headache!

Thanks for all the info. I suppose i could put some effort into figuring somethig out with it!

I use both Photoshop and PSP, Photoshop CS2 I like and use mostly, but there are aspects of Paintshop pro that I feel are every bit as good as, if not better than, Photoshop, PSP has a more intuative user interface, and is better suited to someone new to image processsing.
I also prefer Paintshop pro for preparing images for the web, the main reasons being that the resizing options seem to give a better quality image without needing as much sharpening, also the jpeg compression gives a better image without as many artifacts when using larger amounts of compression, thus enabling a much smaller file size whilst maintaining a good screen appearance to the image.
That said it really is down to user preferance, but at 29-99 PSP XI is a powerful imaging program and a real bargain that will do far more than most users will ever need

I just baught it though it is on back order and at the price given I am not surprised. Allready out of stack at the store and it just went on sale yesterday.

tizziec said:
I just baught it though it is on back order and at the price given I am not surprised. Allready out of stack at the store and it just went on sale yesterday.

i love paint shop pro...for me it was the easier of all the softwares to understand...my hubby is a photo shop man..keeps telling me that i should learn photo shop because that is the more accepted software amongst professionals...but the more i try to learn it? the more frustrated i am with it...
give me paint shop pro any day....i use version nine..but i started with four or five i cant remember..

the best way to learn its features is to open an image in it....and play.....but i would be happy to help if ya get stuck![/i] :h?:

I am just beginning to check out black friday bargains (yes I am one of those, but I am poor, have a good sense of humor and laugh hystericallyat myself while standing in a parking lot at 4:30 AM) and i thin I will be able to stock up on memory cards at $2.99 each which is nice (1gig) the ones I have are old and I like to have back ups. I am also watching closely as I hear Ritz camera is having a black friday sale WOOOHOOOO

Hi Keith

Over here, Black Friday is traditionally the day after Thanksgiving in the retail world.

This year some stores are actually opening at mid-night on Thanksgiving. It's probably the one day of the year they gear towards in making tremendous sales thus keeping them in the Black and taking them out of the red. It is a horrendous day to go shopping and I want no part of it ;) These days, all my shopping is done on the internet.

ya. Get pnm line at $am to get extra deals. Some people stoy out all night on line to get tat one thing at an amazing price. I NEVER thought it would be me till I found myself a single paren and poor. Now I am able to laugh at myself and now that it is a tradition i ALMOST have fun LOL PLus it is one of the few times i get to go out shopping ALONE! No one will come with me HEHE

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back