• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

google bar still running (1 Viewer)

deborah4

Hi

when I try and close down Win XP, box comes up saying programme for Google toolbar is still running even when Im not online. Been doing it for several weeks. Have to end prog. before Win shuts down. Also, wondering if I have someone interfering with my emails - is this possible, ie. for them to be diverted, read or deleted without me seeing them. Seems to happen a lot that when I open OE, connects to server then POP scan comes up (presumably scanning what's ever there) but then no emails appear. Also a few times have gone into OE and as it opens, it 'receives' mails, gives number of new mails, but when Inbox is open they are not there.

:h?:

Am using Firefox, and some fairly good scan packages eg Ewido, Ad aware etc - so this might be a 'back door' job if anything at all is going on.

any thoughts please.

:eek!:

Hi have just run Ewido 4.0 (had actually said it had expired for some reason! then worked)

RESULTS - COOKIES

Complete scan;

29 infected objects: but report says 6 found?

1. Googleleadservices MED RISK
2. 247 Realmedia ""
3. Serving-sys ""
4. Tribalfusions "
5. Sitestat "
6. Dialer.BT.c HIGH RISK

Recommended action to quarantine Dialer.BT.c and delete all others - shall I do this and will it be sufficient?

EDIT: continuing a conservation with myself LOL ... Ive quarantined the Dialer.BT - looks as if someone may be using my broadband from a dial-up/bt line. Hope that sorts it.

Other issue is toolbar: Looks as if this Cookie is a BHO google tracker (malicious?), found an option to remove it BUT not sure whether to!

file no: CLSID {AA48ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7}

last updates on this seem to be a few years back, opinion about what it was and whether it was malicious was mixed.

One last thing: in 'security' on IE connections, in advanced, there is something called 3rd party browser extensions - at moment computor is set to allow this, would it make a difference if I blocked it.

Am I getting completely lost here...... I think so

Last edited:
Whoa, slow down please Debs.

I've had minor problems with the Google Toolbar Notifier running - not to the extent that I can't shut down but I removed the toolbar thing anyway.

Don't do anything drastic - the BT Dialler maybe to dial your ISP via ADSL modem, ie., a false positive. We'll need to investigate it.

Your OE problem may well be to do with your profile settings.

Andy.

Re the scan:- the first five are merely tracking cookies, no real issue but you've cleaned them, that's fine.

Can you unquarantine the dialler, zip it and email it to me, please? I'll get it tested, you'll keep the original in case it is required to connect you to ADSL. If that's the case, we'll try to put together a standard Windows dial-up connection for broadband instead, keep things simple.

Re Ewido, it does run out but that's only the real-time protection and auto-update features - I tend not to use it for that, just as a scanner when needed - you can manually run the updates for it.

You can disable individual toolbars from the 3rd party browser extensions manager you were in earlier - you can also remove one or more completely, choice is yours (I removed all the Google toolbar stuff ;) ).

Outlook Express - sounds like there are two profiles loaded, you're just seeing the default one.

I think you access that from Tools/Options > Profile Manager or Switch Profile? You'll track it down before I can find a webpage for the fix ...

No, you weren't getting lost, just a little out of your depth - bang on the right troubleshooting route :t: fine job!

Ok... many apologies Andy ... Ive been running scans for past half hour and have also started and rebooted several times - not quite read through everything you've written yet! However, unfortunately I've now actually deleted the BT Dialer cookie all together (oops) but still appear to be online here LOL

Ive now run 3 complete systems scan and they are all CLEAN

am still looking at Google toolbar prog.... have 3 files in it and one was downloaded on 31 Oct 06 which is about when the problem occured (have done several separate spyware scans on that and it's definately clean). Seems apparently Google download these things to keep track of googled sites for customer benign purposes (according to them??) See file no. above, will take you to web page with info - you may find something more up to date than I did.

back soon .....

I removed all three Google Toolbar references/files from my system -
a - I use Firefox for almost all my browsing and IE only when I have to,
b - I reckoned if the toolbar notifier wasn't behaving correctly, it may be common to other parts of the toolbar,
c -how long does it take to type in 'google' or click a favorite for it; it's a timesaver but if it causes problems elsewhere, why bother with it anyway?

Great, ADSL works without that dialler - there's no problem anymore ... ;)

Have you looked at OE yet, Debs?

Ok getting there slowly! I also only use FF for browsing - only use IE if FF is playing up which is rarely (times out but not bothered about that)

1. Have disabled 3rd P Browser exts.
2. Have disabled IE Automatic Updates (don't know whether that might help but who
knows!)
3. Having troubling deleting prog.files x 3 in Google Folder - cancelled because not sure if they were right files LOL

File Ref: given above (post 3) now longer exists on C/ (doesn't come up on search) - was knocked out by Ewido, so hasn't made any difference to Googlenotifier playing up

still working on OE

Ok ... probably flying a bit blind here LOl!

Anyway, had trouble removing google files so went manage Add Ons - disabled gog brows exts and gog toolbar that IE had used - rebooted several times didn#t work. Have now completely removed the Google file programme from the IE browser - everything shuts down and restarts fine .. guess that was the right one to delete!!!!!?????

and finally! :king:

Have looked at OE - have created password and personal identity - have also set it to run on '''different credentials'' (whatever that might mean lol!)

So reckon that's about all I can do Andy .. unless you can think of anything else

deborah4 said:
1. Have disabled 3rd P Browser exts.
2. Have disabled IE Automatic Updates (don't know whether that might help but who knows!)
3. Having troubling deleting prog.files x 3 in Google Folder - cancelled because not sure if they were right files LOL

File Ref: given above (post 3) now longer exists on C/ (doesn't come up on search) - was knocked out by Ewido, so hasn't made any difference to Googlenotifier playing up

still working on OE
Mostly good so far then Debs.

1 You may need to enable some 3rd party extensionss for some 'pretties' - Macromedia, Java - but as you use Firefox, you might never notice ;) .

2 Not sure why you've disabled Automatic updates, there's really no need to for most people, it doesn't use the CPU or bandwidth until no events have occurred on the PC for a few minutes and stops the instant you start using the computer again.

There are various options for updating - you could have it run just to notify you that there are updates available, right through to turning it off altogether.

Ensure you visit the M$ Windows Update sites regularly - download and install, at the very least, the Critical Updates (if you are unsure of the possible ill-effects on your OS, you can check what the updates are and read about them from the normal Windows Update if you go Advanced - you can deny almost any that you don't feel you need).

3 Have you tried uninstalling the Google Toolbar? It's probably completely disabled now, anyway - no real need to remove it, doesn't take up much space.

Try http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=oex&sid=265 as your first port of call with the OE bug.

Some other helpful sites might be http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/oe.html and http://www.oehelp.com/Default.aspx if you want to sort through it under your own steam.

Debs, you've been pretty busy whilst I was answering the earlier post :t:

Just run through the Updates options and read the OE links at your leisure - reckon you've sorted it, pretty much.

How are you doing for Backup, by the way? - always good to rethink your strategies after you've had a little scare!

Andrew Rowlands said:
Mostly good so far then Debs.

2 Not sure why you've disabled Automatic updates, there's really no need to for most people, it doesn't use the CPU or bandwidth until no events have occurred on the PC for a few minutes and stops the instant you start using the computer again.

Have only disabled updates coming through IE not FF

Microsoft updates and all the defence updates come through when I'm browsing with FF as these progs are running in background - I always install them

Have only removed Google from IE browser prog. FF will hopefully do a better job of protecting my computor/broadband - still have Google on my FF start up but removing it from IE has prevented IE from trying to run it in background which is why when I closed FF and tried to shut down, the google toolbar was still running

I think running the OE on different credentials just means it's not open automatically with MSN (I think?)

Thanks for your help - lets see how it runs for a few days :t:

Cross post there Andy - have XP system back up on disc - have copies of all scan reports and steps taken tonight - have lots of photo files etc on CD but will need to do more!!

Speak soon & cheers

:gn:

deborah4 said:
Have only disabled updates coming through IE not FF

Microsoft updates and all the defence updates come through when I'm browsing with FF as these progs are running in background - I always install them

Have only removed Google from IE browser prog. FF will hopefully do a better job of protecting my computor/broadband - still have Google on my FF start up but removing it from IE has prevented IE from trying to run it in background which is why when I closed FF and tried to shut down, the google toolbar was still running

I think running the OE on different credentials just means it's not open automatically with MSN (I think?)

Thanks for your help - lets see how it runs for a few days :t:
I'm always misinterpreting things, Debs :brains: - I don't think there's a problem turning IE updates off if you don't use it - with one caveat, it also stops any updates for OE as they share files and settings. You are using OE and it's controlling a major route for malware ingress - if you are careful and keep the rest of your security updated and use safe hex, you should be ok waiting for the main Windows Updates to come through.

Sounds like the browsers are working as expected now.

I'm not sure of the OE credentials, Debs - sure one of the links will have the answer though.

Don't forget to backup, verify and test your data as a weekly routine ... nag, nag, nag ...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back