• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stoney Middleton starlings (1 Viewer)

jisr1

Has anyone been to see if starlings are murmerating at Stoney Middleton yet this autumn?

I'm fairly new to the area and I'm keen to try and see/photograph them this year if they are about. Is it usually a bit later in the season or worth a look yet?

Also any directions to where is best to go exactly to look would be great.:eat:

Here is some info I've gleaned from the Derbyshire thread. The first paragraph was from last year but I imagine still relevant now.

From what I know the roost is viewed from the hide on Thunderpit Lane itself ie not the main lagoons. If you drive down the lane there is a gate on the right marked no access, this is however the access point. I have never been to this hide but apparently just walk up the hill and it is somewhere over there. Ah I see Steph has sent you up the Lane from Stoney Middleton, in that case the gate will be on your left when you have passed the mill.

This paragraph was from last week so already quite a sizeable flock.
I have seen some pics on line recently taken from Cavendish Mill but the flock isnt up to last winters size yet, being an estimated 30,000. They also seem to arrive and roost straight away currently rather than "perform".
There is a link here to the area from January.

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/ne...-skies-en-masse-at-stoney-middleton-1-6392370

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back