• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch Fieldscope ED82 vs Kowa, Meopta etc (1 Viewer)

KoenNL

Good evening all,

Does anyone have experience with the Nikon Monarch ED82 Fieldscope? It seems quite reasonably priced, but it does not seem to get much of a mention on forums like this one.

How does it compare to scopes like the MeoStar S2 and Kowa TSN773/774/883/884?

Also, how do the 20-60x and 30-60x eyepieces compare to MeoStar's 20-70x and Kowa's 20-60x and 25-60x?

Hopefully someone will be able to provide some insight.

Cheers,

Koen

What about the Monarch ED 60? Any opinions or experience, especially comparing it with the equivalent Kowa or Opticron?

What about the Monarch ED 60? Any opinions or experience, especially comparing it with the equivalent Kowa or Opticron?

Or even the Swaro 65mm? Or even its predecessor, the venerable Fieldscope EDIII? And did anyone have a chance to compare the three eyepieces available for the Monarch scopes?

I'm really curious about these scopes. Sure, I've still got my Fieldscopes, all three of them, but after Henry's review I've become quite interested to learn more about the Monarchs.

Hermann

For anyone who might encounter this older thread, I can add some impressions.

I recently (November 2022) tried out the Kowa 773, Kowa 663, Swarovski ATS65 and Nikon Monarch 60ED, having come from an Opticron MM4 60.

I've yet to decide between a used Kowa 773 and a new Nikon 60ED. Apples and oranges, possibly, but roughly the same price* and weight; I didn't want a heavy scope. *Obviously, a new 773 is more than the Nikon - and Kowa prices are due to rise even further, so mine is something of a one-off comparison.

I find the Kowa almost perfect optically - sharp to the edges and with almost imperceivable colour fringing only at the extreme edges and in the worst possible light. The EP is 25-60x. My only 'complaint' is that 25x is a little long for immersive garden viewing... maybe I need a bigger garden.

The Nikon is not far behind the Kowa in all respects and has the advantage (to me, for garden birding) of a wider EP, starting at 20x. Having tried them both this evening, I'm not even sure the Nikon is any less bright at dusk, although it ought to be. If I hadn't found a used Kowa 773 I'd be perfectly happy with the Nikon for my budget of £1200-1300. My quandary is to balance the faultless Kowa IQ against the slightly better viewing experience of the Nikon eyepiece.

The Swarovski ATS had more visible colour fringing than the Nikon, and was worse in low light. My view is that it's simply not worth the extra money.

The Kowa 663 had noticeable colour fringing across the 'frame' with backlit subjects. I'd say it compares to the Opticron MM4 60mm, but is more expensive. For just a couple of hundred more £s the Nikon knocks spot off the Kowa 663 and the MM4 Opticron.

In summary, I'm no expert, but I'd say the Nikon was the best 60mm scope available, so much so that I might end up keeping it and sending the Kowa 773 back.

The Swarovski ATS had more visible colour fringing than the Nikon, and was worse in low light. My view is that it's simply not worth the extra money.

Just thought I'd add to this, because after 12 months I'd forgotten about the above post.

In a complete volte face, I've actually just bought a year 2021 ATS 65 HD from a UK dealer, along with a 25-50 eyepiece. With the benefit of a little more experience - and having scratched a few 77-88mm scope itches - I've found that a more portable and more modest 60-65mm scope suits my needs perfectly.

The Swarovski ATS 65 tested above (#7) must have been a bad copy, or more likely was not the HD version, because the one I just bought is superb - and by that I mean it's as sharp edge-to-edge as a Kowa 883 (I compared them side-by-side) and maintains what seems like 99% sharpness right up to 50x, plus it exhibits absolutely zero false colour. It feels like I've found the perfect scope.

Going back to the comparison with the Nikon 60mm - while I was obviously impressed at the time, I didn't buy it since it's made in China (and it was badly overbalanced, with the foot way too far forward). The Swarovski is made in Austria.

Off-topic to the original post, but I didn't want my previous comments about the Swarovski to be picked up and have any adverse effect on its reputation.

Last edited:
Thank you Henry, that was a good read. This review seems quite favourable as well Nikon Monarch Fieldscope 82ED-A Review - Rokslide

Makes you wonder why the scope doesn't get mentioned more often.
That might be to do with availability. When I got mine, I could find nowhere where I could try it out and very few places that sold it. I ordered the body from France and zoom eyepiece from Norwich. I am very pleased with it, although I use my 50/65mm scopes more often as it is heavy, but I have never properly lined it up against a similar sized Kowa/Swarvoski.

Edit: only just noticed how old this thread is but it may be of interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back