• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding areas around Perth (1 Viewer)

Gemfyre

Australia
Pretty much just going to list places here. BirdsWA has an excellent book on the good sites around the place, I intend to buy it soon.

A ten minute walk away is Lake Monger - a lake right next to the freeway. The eastern freeway side is being restored and replanted with native vegetation and has had a channel placed through to filter the water before it reaches the lake proper. The western side is mainly grassed but is a good area for spotting ducks and seeing swans. Too many people still feed the birds on this side (despite signs discouraging it) and there are quite a few feral ducks. In the south-west corner is an island which is good for rails and the odd oblong tortoise.

The western side is grassed but has bamboo thickets right on the shoreline in most places. In the summer there is a large area of mudflats where one can see rails, stilts and avocets.

The northern side is similar to the western side but has less bamboo and a small viewing area over the water.

About a 5 minute drive away is Herdsman Lake. This is the largest urban wetland in the world. 80% of it is covered by typha reed which provides an excellent breeding ground for many species. I can usually get at least 30 species on a short walk around part of the lake. Some feature birds are great crested grebes, black-fronted dotterels and glossy ibis. Freckled duck (rare in the Perth region) have also been recently spotted here.

A little further south-west is Perry Lakes two small lakes close to each other. These tend to almost dry up in the summer but apparently it's good for spotting rails in the mornings and evenings. I found two tawny frogmouths here, much to my surprise and delight. The Birds Western Australia headquarters is also near here.

Right next to Perry Lakes is Bold Park, a large area of bushland. I haven't been here yet.

I go to Murdoch University. On the campus there are large gardens with lots of banksia and grevillia which attract hundreds of honeyeaters and there is a large area of bushland at the southern end of the campus. It's a great area for bushbirds. I have done some mist netting and banding on campus and we identified many species, among them the white-naped honeyeater and splendid fairywren.

Just south of the campus are North Lake and Bibra Lake. North lake is relatively small and quiet and good for waders and rails (and tortoises). Bibra Lake is much larger. Its western side is grassed and the ducks and swans are quite tame and bold because they are used to being fed. There are also many Silver Gulls and feral ducks and geese unfortunately. Franklins Gull has been spotted here a few times. The rest of the lake is surrounded by bush and very good for bush birds. There is a bird viewing area on the eastern side.

Some other areas

Carine Swamps and Open Space - Two swamps surrounded by bushland and grassed ovals. I took a walk around here yesterday and spotted grey fantails, western gerygones and an Australian hobby among other things. There is a small flock of feral domestic ducks here too. :(

Star Swamp - I will be going here in a few weeks time. I have never been there before but apparently it's good for bush birds.

Trigg Reserve - Another large area of bushland, very close to the beach.

Lake Gwelup - Another of the chain of lakes.

Lake Joondalup - A large lake about 30km north of the city. This lake has the usual grassed areas and natural bushland. Apparently royal spoonbills have been spotted at the northern end. I will be going here next Saturday. Last time I went (many years ago) all I remember were HUNDREDS of rainbow lorikeets which are an introduced pest over here.

Garvey Park - A park that runs along the Swan River, there is a lot of bushland here (and across the river at Ashfield Flats) as well as a small lake. I went on a Birds W.A. walk here and spotted many birds including Buff-banded Rails, Spotted Pardalotes and Rufous Whistlers. There was also a surprising number of Caspian and crested terns flying over.

Matilda Bay - Another area on the river. Good for pelicans and cormorants.

Kings Park - A large (and famous) park on a large hill (Mt Eliza) next to the city. The park consists of grassed areas, lakes, gardens and natural bushland. Many species can be spotted here in the different areas.

Alfred's Cove - Also on the river. This area is protected as it is known as a stop off for migratory species.

Penguin Island - An island near Rockingham - about a half hours drive south of the city. A colony of Little Penguins nests here as well as Pelicans and Bridled Terns. Most of the island is protected and inaccessible to the public.

Perth is also close to the coast - various birds can be found at the many beaches - the most common of course being the ever present Silver Gull.

Last edited:
Good on yer Gemfyre, I lived in the West since 1966 and returned back to the UK in Jan 2003. I do not think I will ever get back to Australia so your reports will be very interesting to me. I lived in Hamel, near Waroona. I was the only person to be allowed to trespess on the land to observe the Ibis that breed near the South West Highway. The farmer who ownes the property is called. Peter Ferraro. If he thinks you are genuine then he will allow you to visit the two dams. Keep me informed. I bird watched in all of the places you mentioned.
Tanny

Birding around Perth Western Australia

G'day again, I was pottering through all my contributions and came up with this thread. What a fizzer it turned out to be. Well I thought,"bagger it" I will rectify it and see what turns up, after all I was expecting to read regular news of the birds I used to see during my thirty seven years in the West.;) Strewth theres gotta be some new chums who can wet my appetite.:t:

Western Australia

"What", no one interested in making any comments on this thread, it looks like I will have to go back to Australia and get some up to date birding from there. I am negotiating at the moment for a visit in September, thats the cheapest time for flights because it's supposed to be the off period, but I think it is the best time because of all the wildflowers that are in bloom then. When it gets nearer to the time I will try and contact you forum members from the West, and also try to see my old mate Harry Butler, that well known Western Australian environmentalist. Come on Sandgropers tell us your tale.

Thanks for that posting Gemfyre. I'll be going to Perth for a week or so soon so will take a copy of your post with me. I will be restricted in time but should have a chance of a couple of hours here and there. I've spent a few weeks birding in WA many years ago but will be happy to refresh my memory of some of the specialities.

Nancy

Going to WA in December 2008/Jan 2009, been before to 2 People's Bay, Broome, Mgt River and around Perth.Have a decent list from then but hping to get some good spp this visit.

Need to know if Shark Bay/ Exmouth area worth a trip, any inland options and just possibly if the Noisy Scrub Warbler has EVER been seen by a human...?

I found that the Noisy Scrub-bird was actually the easiest of the 3 specialities at Two People's Bay to see when I visited in June 06! Bristlebird was the most skulky. We followed the coastal path back toward the info centre and found a pair calling either side of the track so just crouched down and waited - sure enough one crossed one way, the both crossed back again!! Gotta be the only way to see them.
We did Shark Bay and Exmouth and found some good birds - skim through my trip report here :

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=113389

Ads

Apart from entries here, please consider the option of adding information in one or more location entries in the Opus!

Cheers
Niels

This is what we've got so far in Opus:

Perth Area

Anyone with habitat pictures? - you're welcome to upload them too.

For other locations, just click on the 'Australia' link at the bottom of the page. I'm sure there's more places to go birding in Australia than what's shown there;)

D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back