• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nikon fieldscope ed82 a (1 Viewer)

hello, are these still in the product line of nikon and what about the eyepieces Mc and DS ??

They are still listed as a current products, but I don't think anyone here knows if they are actually in current production. Eyepieces other than the zooms and 16/24/30x DS have become very very hard to find in the USA, and the prices of those that are available here in the USA or abroad are much much higher (i.e. closer to list price) than they were a few years ago.

--AP

Or you could save yourself some money any buy one of these http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web/ph/cat/prodtype/1737/prodtype.asp, its an ED82 in all but name...

Undoubtedly, those are very fine instruments. But from what I have read, they're a knock-off rather than the very same scope.

One could expect glass quality to differ, QC and second-hand value should be worse. And are the Nikon ED82s really made in PRC?

A new ED82A body will be my next purchase and I can find them at £900, so I wouldn't take the chance with a knock-off.
But I'd be interested to try an Avian ED50A for spare, if they would make one in the future.

//L

Undoubtedly, those are very fine instruments. But from what I have read, they're a knock-off rather than the very same scope.

One could expect glass quality to differ, QC and second-hand value should be worse. And are the Nikon ED82s really made in PRC?

A new ED82A body will be my next purchase and I can find them at £900, so I wouldn't take the chance with a knock-off.
But I'd be interested to try an Avian ED50A for spare, if they would make one in the future.

//L

For a knock-off they are surprisingly good optically and I have not had any issues with their quality control at this point (about 6 months). I am just having fun swapping eyepieces back and forth between the Bosma 82 ED and the Nikon ED 50 A. ;)

The original is known to show perfect sharpness up to 75x. The Birdwatching magazine (see link in dwatsonbirders link) notes a fall-off from 40x - maybe a lemon, which confirms my QC suspicions and/or the fact that the glass is not quite up to Nikon quality.

I will check out the article. As you mentioned it could be a sample variation issue. On the other hand it could also be that the scope body is entirely comparable and the eyepieces are not. The fact that you can use most of the Nikon eyepieces with the Bosma scope is something to consider. I have swapped them and the Nikon eyepieces are more neutral in their color representation and, at the higher magnifications, control CA a bit better. Check out the post I left earlier this morning in the Theron Mag82/Nikon ED50 thread.

The Bosma scope is a good copy of the Nikon ED 82 A, but not quite its equal. The ED glass used in the Nikon is different, and consequently color correction of the Bosma, while good, is not as good. Likewise, anti-reflection coatings are better in the Nikon, as are internal bafflings. Thus with otherwise equally lucky samples of each (meaning equal optical aberrations), the authentic Nikon will have better contrast, more pure and vivid colors, better brightness and less stray light artefacts. But the differences are not huge. I have seen samples of the Bosma that take 75x magnification very well.

Kimmo

I have a Nikon ED82 and the eyepiece I use is the 30x which I think is one of the best eyepieces ever made.

The Bosma scope is a good copy of the Nikon ED 82 A, but not quite its equal. The ED glass used in the Nikon is different, and consequently color correction of the Bosma, while good, is not as good. Likewise, anti-reflection coatings are better in the Nikon, as are internal bafflings. Thus with otherwise equally lucky samples of each (meaning equal optical aberrations), the authentic Nikon will have better contrast, more pure and vivid colors, better brightness and less stray light artefacts. But the differences are not huge. I have seen samples of the Bosma that take 75x magnification very well.

Kimmo

As the t.v advert say's like a Golf. But not a Golf.

I contacted two "well known" Nikon dealers today,both reported the Nikon ED 82A currently out of stock.
Is there a shortage or do dealers only order them in on request.

Last edited:
I contacted two "well known" Nikon dealers today,both reported the Nikon ED 82A currently out of stock.
Is there a shortage or do dealers only order them in on request.

To answer my own question,having spoken to a couple of dealers this week who didn't have the ED 82A in stock.There is currently a waiting time of up to 4 weeks from Nikon.
However,I managed to find a company who had one in stock having just taken delivery today.ED 82A with x 30 DS wide angle eye piece,
"Wow" super impressed :t:
Probably will be purchasing the X 50 eye piece very soon.
Will be using it for bird watching,aviation and digiscoping.

Attachments

• Nikon 82A.jpg
    Nikon 82A.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 318
That's the same combo that I use, and I also have the 25-75x zoom. The view through the 30x Wide is spectacularly vivid, but it clearly shows curvature of field. The 27x/40x/50x Wide has a flatter field.

//L

I bought the Nikon Coolpix P300 camera recently for digiscoping purposes.Works perfectly well in conjunction with the Nikon ED82A,despite using a home made adaptor from two pieces of cardboard tubing.(Pat Pending)|:D|
I'm very pleased with the setup and just need to work out all the settings on the camera in order to get the best results.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back