• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willington gravel pits (1 Viewer)

mtaylor87

If anybody fancies a journey down there, I think I may have seen a great white egret there yesterday. It was viewed from the second platform and was on the edge of the long grass, stood about 3m away from a grey heron. There were multiple herons and cormorants and I'm sure this white bird was the same size as the heron, but my bins are so poor that I could not make a 100 percent I.D!!!

Would be nice to put it to bed in my mind!

I would just like to mention that being a member of the Derbyshire ornithological society great white egrets are being seen more frequently in Derbyshire now in the last
couple of years, it was around 2010 or 11 that we had our first great white egret since
the 19th of may 1974 which then was only the eleventh recorded in Britain and Ireland
and the first since 1951 so mr taylor it was all possible that you saw a great white egret
at willington its a well watched site by Derbyshire birdwatchers I have recently been on the Derbyshire web site but cannot remember if I have seen any great white egret records for September I will have a look and get back to you.

Hi there

Well presently for September there has not been any great white egrets seen in Derbyshire but if you feel sure you saw a great white egret and can give me as
much information you can on this birds id you mentioned it was 9 metres from
a grey heron and was the same size as the heron if you have any more details
like colour of legs feet etc or anything else me being a member can pass your
details on into our bird society, the size you mentioned looks good was it a
bulky bird like the grey heron if you want to get back to me please do.

I better just say that our society will want the details from yourself perhaps on a rare birds form I presume your not a member of our society so not sure if I society will
send you a form or not.

Little Egrets are seen on an almost daily basis at Willington so my money will be on that. Great White Egret is a possibility of course but, Willington is well watched by a few birders including one of the county recorders who visits most days so I would have thought a Great White in the area would not go unnoticed.

I recently received an email via DOS about a large Egret sp that was definitely larger than a Little Egret that flew down the Derwent Valley and towards Wyver. Low and behold around the exact same time a Little Egret dropped in at Wyver. Size can be hard to judge especially when single birds are involved with nothing to compare with. And quite often non or novice birders find it extremely hard to judge the size of something.

And Coal Tit, you say that in 2010 or 2011 we had our first record since 1974. True if you don't count the one at Drakelow NR in Aug/Sep 2003. Or the one at Wyver Lane NR on 10/06/2004. Or the one over Ramsley Res in Sep 2007. Or another bird at Drakelow NR in Nov 2007. Or the one at Barrow upon Trent GP's in Dec 2007. Or the one at Ogston in June 2008. Or the one at Hilton in Feb 2009. Or the one at Willington in June 2009. Or the one at Long Eaton in March 2010.

Hi dave

Thanks for your update to my reply I must say firstly 10 years ago since the great white egret first reappeared again in Derbyshire surprised me I know time flies but
I was caught out on that one thou I knew a number of birds had been observed
since the great white egret reappeared here but again a surpriseing large number
for this bird personally speaking.

Hi guys, just noticed replies.

I have seen little egrets before, and I have seen little egrets with herons before. I have always been able to see a clear difference in size. These were nearly identical in size. I can't tick it because I am not 100 percent on what it was, other than it wasn't a little egret. My problem was I could make out no other features than size and colour... Saw its neck bend heron-like a couple of times but that was it!! Just bought some new bins at carsington today so fingers crossed no more of this situation lol

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back