• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The mysterious Monsieur Longuemare in Longuemare's Sunangel … (1 Viewer)

Yes, Martin, Anthreptes should replace Euchloridia under longuemarei / longuemareus. Euchloridia doubtless a throwback to my original MS dictionary and synoptic check-list - there are probably a few more like that lurking in the texts of the Key. Many thanks.

To answer the dating question:

The description in Férussac's Bulletin is in the Jun 1831 issue. (This issue starts on p. 257 https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/4441719; date in the footer of the first page.)
The Illustrations de zoologie were published in 20 livraisons, each containing 3 plates + the corresponding text; this is plate #23, thus in Livr. 8; Livr. 8 was announced published in Bibliographie de la France on Sat 10 Aug 1833 https://books.google.com/books?id=--uHLQFgQJkC&pg=PA493.

IOW, the Bulletin was quite clearly first.

To answer the dating question:

The description in Férussac's Bulletin is in the Jun 1831 issue. (This issue starts on p. 257 https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/4441719; date in the footer of the first page.)
The Illustrations de zoologie were published in 20 livraisons, each containing 3 plates + the corresponding text; this is plate #23, thus in Livr. 8; Livr. 8 was announced published in Bibliographie de la France on Sat 10 Aug 1833 https://books.google.com/books?id=--uHLQFgQJkC&pg=PA493.

IOW, the Bulletin was quite clearly first.

But if you look at the text here Juin 1831. I am not sure if it is always

Plate 1, 2, 3 Livr 1,
Plate 4, 5, 6 Livr 2 etc.

At least with the Gould hummingbird plates it is not like that. But Lesson refered to the Bulletin in Illustration de zoologie.

But if you look at the text here Juin 1831. I am not sure if it is always

Plate 1, 2, 3 Livr 1,
Plate 4, 5, 6 Livr 2 etc.

At least with the Gould hummingbird plates it is not like that. But Lesson refered to the Bulletin in Illustration de zoologie.
But the meaning of the dates appearing at the end of each text is not explained in the work, and they might very well indicate a date of writing, rather than a date of publication. (I.e., they are probably best seen as "Not before" dates.)

- According to Bibliogr. France of 4 Feb 1832 -- https://books.google.com/books?id=QbEisyJoLvgC&pg=PA70 --, a prospectus had been issued, announcing the start of this work's publication for March 1832. This is very strong evidence against the publication of any part of the work in 1831. The actual publication of Livr. 1 was not reported before 14 Jul 1832 -- https://books.google.com/books?id=QbEisyJoLvgC&pg=PA392.

- As you say, Lesson quoted the Bulletin description of the sunbird in the text of the Illustrations, citing a correct page number ("Bull. des Sc., t. XXV, p. 242.") which he could presumably not have known if this had not been published yet. Additionally, his note in the Bulletin was titled "Illustrations de Zoologie; par RP Lesson. 1e décade: Ms.", and he noted there "L'auteur a fait exécuter une suite de vélins par l'habile peintre d'hist. nat., M. Prêtre, et désirerait les publier: à ce suiet, il lui importerait peu qu'ils soient gravés et mis au jour en Allemagne ou en Angleterre [...]" -- https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/4441029. This is explicit indication that he was reporting there about a manuscript which he wished to publish (i.e., not an already published work); and about plates that had been painted but had still to been engraved (i.e., not a work that was (even in part) nearing publication).

- Gould published his plates as he produced them, then reorganized them so that they would ultimately follow a systematic sequence (which, not unexpectedly, differed from the publication sequence). In some other works by Lesson, the final sequence of the plates in the work was imposed by the text, and is known to have differed from the sequence of publication as well. (La Coquille may be the best documented case, because the detailed plate content of each livraison of this work was announced in Férussac's Bulletin all along the publication process, thus is known for sure.) However, no systematic or logical sequence of any kind is present in Lesson's Illustrations de zoologie (e.g., the sunbird in question is preceded by a shell, and followed by a beetle...), thus there is no apparent reason to think that Lesson might have reorganized his plates a posteriori in this case.

- At least one point in the publication process of the Illustrations can be verified directly: the detailed content of livr. 1-12 was published in 1834 in Allgemeine Literatur-Zeitung https://books.google.com/books?id=BipRAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA3-PA481. Checking this confirms that the first 12 livraisons of the work, indeed, included the first 36 plates of the final book and their text.

Last edited:
I still think Mrs Gouye de Longuemare born 22. March 1796 (2 Germinal anée 4) supported as well by here p. 37 of 51

So fanny may added in the key with her birth date. As she got a pension from her husband at least death after 1866.

Looks like his wife was an artist if we read here

She painted as well Heliangelus clarisse Mme Longuemare, del.

And here a little bit further the family tree. Henri may have died in Bourg-la-Reine as he lived at least some time in...

Gouye de Longuemare, sous-chef de bureau, Grande-Rue, 60, à Bourg-la-Reine

Last edited:
But not in the key as per today with birth and death dates:

● Françoise ‘Fanny’ Victoire Rosalie Joséphine Gouÿe de Longuemare née Marsy (fl. 1823) wife of French naturalist Agathe-François Gouÿe de Longuemare (Myrtis).

I personally would see her as well as an artist. At least two plates we can find from her. In her death record as Victoire Françoise Rosalie Joséphine (different sequence of names).

Martin, at last you managed (which I didn't, back in 2014) to convince James.

The updated Key now tell us:
fanny
● Françoise ‘Fanny’ Victoire Rosalie Joséphine Gouÿe de Longuemare née Marsy (1796-1873) ...
[...]
:t:

/B

PS. Re. sequence of names, I agree with James, as above, I've got the same, my MS is in accordance with the Key, just like in her Birth record [except the "Fanny" part which (of course) wasn't/couldn't have been recorded at her birth, but simply how she became known, among friends, later in life. ;)]

I also agree with your remark that she was a (fairly skilled) artist/illustrator.
--

Last edited:
The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Longuemare's Hermit Phaethornis longuemareus Lesson, 1832 [Alt. Little Hermit]
Longuemare's Sunangel Heliangelus clarisse Longuemare, 1841 [Alt. Amethyst-throated Sunangel; Syn. Heliangelus amethysticollis clarisse]
Lesson wrote that he had seen the hermit in the collection of 'M[onsieur] de Longuemare'. This may refer to Alphonse Pierre Françoise Le Touzé de Longuemare (1803-1881), a French antiquary and army officer. The original description states that the sunangel was described by M. Gouye de Longuemare; some sources say that this was Henri Victor Goüye de Longuemare (1823-1890) which seems unlikely as he was only 18 when the bird was described.

But as we have seen here completly wrong track.

But Frances “Fanny” Wilson lifes dates seems still a mystery. Remember also
Not to be confused with the "Fanny" behind the following Birds:
● the sub-specis Tangara larvata fanny LAFRESNAYE 1847 as "Aglaia Fanny": "Cete jolie espèce, à laquelle nous donnons le nom lʼépouse de M. Wilson, …"
● Green-crowned Woodnymph Thalurania (hypochlora/colombica) fannyi (somethimes written fannyae*) DELATTRE & BOURCIER 1846 as "Trochilus Fannyi": "Dedié à madame Fanny, épóuse de M. Wilson, que nous avons cité." *As in for example: Zoonomen
= Francis "Fanny" Wilson (xxxxxxxx), wife of the collector (and patron of Natural History) Mr. Edward Wilson (1808–1888) – who himself is commemorated in Amazilia edward DELATTRE & BOURCIER 1846 [See thread Some tricky Edwards's and/or Edward's Birds … Part II , Post #13].

Frances Ann Stokes
Baptism
23 Feb 1809 • St Issell's, Pembrokeshire, Wales
Death8 Mar 1891 Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England
Edward Wilson of Hearn Castle
Birth16 Jul 1808 Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Residence1881 Wyke Regis, Dorset, England
Marriage

21 May 1832 • St Issell's, Pembrokeshire, Wales

Death1888
FatherEdward WILSON (1772-1843)
MotherElizabeth Bellerby (1780-1813)
SpouseFrances (Fanny) Stokes (1809-1891)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back