• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

goshawk in built up areas? (1 Viewer)

salty

geordie birder
just been checking a local patch web site for my area (birding whitburn) and noticed a goshawk had been spotted at boldon flats near sunderland. the area is best described as flooded fields behind local housing, and is a haven for birds of all types, but i never thought a goshawk would be spotted there.

do they come into built up areas often and will this just be a passing bird (not local) anyone?

Hi salty

I read an article a few years back (can't remember who by) about raptors moving into urban areas. The author thought there was an outside chance Goshawks would eventually move into urban areas.

regards
James

Where they're common they come regularly into built-up areas. They often end up in chickne runs here in NE Italy

interesting. i see sparrowhawks on a very regular basis, and would love to imagine goshawks being as common and well seen!

not sure how the other birds would cope though.

does anyone know if they are common around coastal areas? - been a sighting in one of my other favourite patches, that so happens to be near the coast. do goshawks come to areas where waders etc feed/roost like peregrines do?

only seen 3 goshawks this year so far and they were all very much inland, around woodland/moorland.

I must admit to thinking that Goshawks would stay clear of Urban areas but I remember when on Lesbos a few years ago that I saw a Goshawk on the edge of Skalla Kalloni. It actually took a chicken and was plucking it in full view of the nearby houses.

With Goshawks common in the country, I often see Goshawks passing through the city here - often migrants, but winter sees very few birds in general out in the open country (as everything migrates out or moves to the city), and I occasionally see Goshawks in the city at that time too, pigeons better pickings

I live on the north west outskirts of Glasgow, the suburbs I suppose, and have had the enormous pleasure of seeing a Goshawk make a kill in my back garden. We live fairly near woodland and the proper Scottish countryside begins only 5 minutes from the house. Ultimately though, we are in a busy suburban area and to see one was an unexpected surprise. It seems to me that there has been a growth in numbers of common raptors around my area so perhaps this is extending to the less frequently seen varieties...?

I live in the South Wales Valleys. The area is typified by housing (sometimes dense) in the valley floors and lower hillsides. In many areas, the uplands are covered in Forestry Commission conifer stands where Goshawks are now common.

Goshawks are sometimes seen soaring above the houses. I've even had friends who've seen immature birds perched on the nurmerous homing pigeon cots that we have here.

gos in built up area

As there are many falconers birds about now it may well be one of these. We have a pair near us but they dont look like they will breed.

Wildart

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back