• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Names lacking in the Key (1 Viewer)

It is the same quote as my first quote. ....
Yes, I know, ... with the blue text added. ;)

I gave it a quick try, but there's far too many Ottos and Adolfs (and their wives) involved ... far beyond my understanding.

Good luck (... finding the OD)!

Björn

PS. Nachruf Dr. s.c.nat. Adolf [Theodor Otto] Kleinschmidt (14.4.1904- 9.6.1999); here alt. here ... with condolence "zu seiner Frau Marianne".
--

Last edited:
Mellisuga Kingii

While checking things around Sephanoides sephaniodes I came accoss Mellisuga Kingii Syn: Sephanoides sephaniodes (see here) and the name seems to be missing in the Key. I assume dedicated to Philip Parker King (1791-1856). OD from Vigors here.

Seems to me a complicated case regarding authorship and year of publication as Vigors published his name in the same year as Lesson (& Garnot).

Two 'L's in King's first name. According to wikipedia :King was born to Philip Gidley King and Anna Josepha King née Coombe, and named after his father's mentor, Admiral Arthur Phillip (1738-1814), (first governor of New South Wales and founder of the British penal colony which later became the city of Sydney in Australia), which explains the difference in spelling of his and his father's first names

Hecale

Hecale Wagler 1832
(Syn. Nestor Ϯ Kaka N. meridionalis).

In the main account covering the Kaka in his Monographia Psittacorum, Wagler called that species Nestor hypopolius. However, in a note accompanying the text on the Gang-gang Cockatoo (there Corydon galeatus), [here], he referred to the species using another generic name. The note reads:
Observatio. Praeter Hecalem hypopoliam inter psittacos hucusque notos unicus, qui remigum pogonium internum falconum ad instar maculatum habet.
This would translate as: "Observation. Besides Hecale hypopolia, among hitherto known parrots, the only one, which has the inner vane of the remiges spotted as in falcons."
Hecale is not in the Key, and not listed in the Richmond Index. It is (somewhat oddly) listed by Neave as "Hecalem" Wagler; "Hecalem hypopoliam" in the above text is in accusative case (required by the preposition praeter), and a correction to the nominative is mandatory.
The derivation is presumably < Gr. Ἑκάλη Hecale, in Gr. mythology, a poor old woman who kindly received Theseus.

"Hecale hypopolia"/"Hecalem hypopoliam"

Sharp observation, Laurent!

Also note the worn pencil notation in the right margin, beside the quoted Latin part: "n.g." (novum genus, I assume).

Makes one wonder who scribbled it down ...

Björn

PS. This name was/is also mentioned, in its original form, on p.696, by Wagler:
Rostrum mediocre, albidum, spice flavidum, fere ut in Hecale hypopolia formatum; maxilla quam maxime ...

[here alt. here or here].
I guess Neave missed that one!

PPS. For anyone having trouble following the reasoning, and links (like I had ;)); Wagler's Monographia Psittacorum 1832 was published in the German journal Abhandlungen der Mathematisch-Physikalischen Klasse der Königlich Bayerischen Akademie der Wissenschaften (vol. 1, pp. 469-697).
--

Last edited:
PS. This name was/is also mentioned, in its original form, on p.696, by Wagler:
Rostrum mediocre, albidum, spice flavidum, fere in Hecale hypopolia formatum; maxilla quam maxime ...
I guess Neave missed that one!
I had missed it too, for sure...
Rostrum mediocre, albidum, apice flavidum, fere ut in Hecale hypopolia formatum;
= Bill moderate, whitish, yellow at the tip, shaped almost as in Hecale hypopolia.
Wagler is writing this about his Licmetis tenuirostris, now Cacatua tenuirostris, the Long-billed Corella.
(Just to nitpick, "Hecale hypopolia" here is still not nominative, it's ablative. But the genus name is a first-declension feminine Greek noun, and the epithet a standard first-declension Latin word: in Latin, in these two categories of words (and no other ;)), ablative happens to be identical to nominative.)

Also on [p. 698], footnote:
*) Characteres nonnullorum psittacorum mihi dubiorum exhibui post diagnosin Hecales hypopoliae.
= *) I have presented the characters of several parrots, to me doubtful, after the diagnosis of Hecale hypopolia.
(Genitive, this time.)

Last edited:
In a Catalogue of Stutgart Museum is mentioned Corvus klevenhülleri by von Müller. In 1855 in the JfO von Müller mentions Corvus in North Africa without mentioning this species. Might be in part III or IV of von Müller's birds of Africa habitat is Nubia?
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/49451#page/43/mode/1up
Or a manuscript name, which here would then be a nomen nudum...
(This is a calatogue of the birds in Müller's own museum in Stuttgart. The collection was to be sold, it seems. (See Cuncta venalia. = "Everything is for sale." on the back of the title page.))

I was also ploughing through the names in the catalogue of Mueller's collection, and had come across Corvus Klevenhuelleri. As Laurent states, the name is probably a MS one and hence a nom. nud., but I am still interested in who Klevenhueller might be. Google comes up with a variety of counts and dukes with the names Khevenhueller and Klevenhueller, but none seem suitable.

In an article about Brehm's collection in Novitates Zoologicae: A Journal of Zoology in Connection with the ..., Volume 8., is mentioned Khevenhüller’s Rabe from J. W. Müller’s Handschrift. Handwriting = MS? It is described as bigger than C. umbrinus.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/22660#page/55/mode/1up .
Yarrell mentions a Prince Richard Khevenhüller who collected birds in 1856.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/36278#page/424/mode/1up .
I think, Richard Maria Johann Basil, 5th Fürst [Prince] Khevenhüller-Metsch (1813- 1877)

Last edited:
There´s a [Cinclus] "Khevenhülleri" mentioned in Journal für Ornithologie 1856 (here), in a paper by Ludwig Brehm.

To me "Corvus Klevenhülleri Müll." simply looks like a typo or a printers error.

Note; there´s also a beetle named [Adelops] "Khevenhülleri", by Ludwig Miller 1852 (here):
Herr Ludwig Miller legt die Abbildung und Beschreibung eines neuen sehr interessanten Höhlenkäfers vor, welchen der Herr Vereins-Präsident, Seine Durchlaucht Fürst von K h e v e n h ü l l e r, in der Adelsberger Höhle aufgefunden hat.
Who (or which) Fürst von Khevenhüller Miller was commemorating is all unknown to me. But I assume the part "Herr Vereins-Präsident" is a clue, that might/could crack the case? If you look at p.5 (here) in the same journal (Verhandlungen des Zoologisch-Botanischen Vereins in Wien) we find:
"Sr. Durchl. Fürst Richard Khevenhüller-Metsch, als Präses"

To me, it looks like Mark's suggestion is a high likely candidate.

For what it´s worth. If of any help?

Björn
--

Last edited:
Thanks, Mark and Björn. Despite the status of the names I am convinced by your findings, and have created both khevenhuelleri and the misspelling klevenhuelleri in the Key.

Thanks, Mark and Björn. Despite the status of the names I am convinced by your findings, and have created both khevenhuelleri and the misspelling klevenhuelleri in the Key.
... but no "khevenhülleri/klevenhülleri" entry ... original spelling ... as in so many other cases. ;)

However; you´re welcome James, but it´s all thanks to Mark, no credit needed on my part. I just went along. Simply for the fun of it.

Björn

PS. James, how did you rule out C. c. aquaticus Bechstein, 1797, or another Cinclus, as a possible synonym for the [Cinclus] "Khevenhülleri"?

PPS. Other proofs that Khevenhüller was into Ornitology; here, here and here.
Based on nothing more than what´s been said this far I´d say he´s "our guy".
-

Last edited:
In Bonn. Zool. Beitr. 17: 87-134 [pdf], G Niethammer published letters exchanged by CL Brehm and CF Bruch between 1827 and 1857. On p.127, in a letter dated 9 Jan 1857, Brehm, talking about new ornithological findings, wrote to Bruch:
Neu ist auch ein Cinclus, welchen ich beim Fürsten Khevenhüller sah; er ähnelt dem Cinclus Pallasii, zieht ebenso stark ins Aschgraue.
It seems next-to-certain that the bird that Brehm had called Cinclus Khevenhülleri in J. Ornithol. in Nov 1856 and that he had cited in a list of Cinclus spp next to C. pallasii, must have been the same as the one, shown to him by Khevenhüller and similar to C. pallasii, which he alluded to in this letter.
This suggests the bird in question may well not have been a C. cinclus of any ssp. (But, rather, a specimen of a wholly dark [ash-grey] dipper sp.)
Unfortunately, no clue about the origin of the bird...

...From this, it follows that a name not [yet] made available, technically, cannot have an "original spelling". ;)

Last edited:
"no clue about the origin of the bird..." In 1854 Richard Khevenhuller wrote an article Strix aluco aus Slavonien. So maybe there? He liked caves like Adelsberg.
Unrelated except about Austro-hungarian nobility and bird names. Crown prince Archduke Rudolf of Austria became friends with Alfred Brehm in 1870's. HBW has two birds named for him.
Paradisornis Rudolphi Finsch and A. B. Meyer, 1885.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/127802#page/589/mode/1up .
And Ninox rudolfi A. B. Meyer, 1882,.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/35128#page/273/mode/1up . In the article by Meyer the specific name is rudolfi but in the picture by Keulemans it is rudolphi. In Systematics and Taxonomy of Australian Birds
By Les Christidis, Walter Boles they spell it rudolphi but seem unaware of rudolfi. In 2009 article "The correct scientific name of the Sumba Boobook is Ninox rudolfi Meyer 1882, as also given by every authority since then, not ‘rudolphi’ as given by Christidis & Boles (2008) . Owls on the Island of Sumba, Indonesia Olsen Trost & Myers. Is this a first reviser act?

Last edited:
Khevenhüller's Dipper and "his" Raven

No "ODs" found (if they exist), but ...

Synonymik der europäischen Brutvögel und Gäste: systematisches Verzeichniss ... by Eugène Rey 1872, says (on p.180): "[Cinclus] Khevenhülleri Br." [by Brehm] = [No.] 251 (here) ... which leads us to (precisely that Number); "251. Var. Cinclus Pallasi. Temm." (here), on pp.63-64.

As I understand it, according to Rey; "Cinclus Khevenhülleri" ought to be a synonym of the Brown Dipper Cinclus p. pallasii Temminck, 1820 (even if Rey wrote it with single ending-i.)

Also, back to Mark's first link in Post #73, and the short note, by Hartert and Kleinschmidt, from 1901, in their Paper; VERZEICHNISS DER BREHM'SCHEN SAMMLUNG, Die Formen von Corvus corax L., where they mentioned "Khevenhüller's Rabe" (Rabe = Raven), a bird from Nubia, on p.41, bottom of table, No. 13a (or here): "Keine Beschreibung. Ist ein grosse umbrinus mit abnormern Schnabel"

To me it looks like Corvus khevenhülleri is a nomen nudum, equal of the today invalid "Corvus corax umbrinus" [i.e. "Corvus umbrinus" Hedenborg & Sundevall 1838], a junior synonym of the Brown-necked Raven Corvus r. ruficollis Lesson, 1830. Or possibly only a large, single specimen with deformed/abnormal beak ...

For what it´s worth.
--

Last edited:
And Ninox rudolfi A. B. Meyer, 1882,.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/35128#page/273/mode/1up . In the article by Meyer the specific name is rudolfi but in the picture by Keulemans it is rudolphi. In Systematics and Taxonomy of Australian Birds
By Les Christidis, Walter Boles they spell it rudolphi but seem unaware of rudolfi. In 2009 article "The correct scientific name of the Sumba Boobook is Ninox rudolfi Meyer 1882, as also given by every authority since then, not ‘rudolphi’ as given by Christidis & Boles (2008) . Owls on the Island of Sumba, Indonesia Olsen Trost & Myers. Is this a first reviser act?
This might be seen as a FR act if this was the first one -- but it's not.
Under the 4th ed. of the Code, the simple subsequent use of one of the spellings by the original author qualifies as a FR act, even if this author did not cite the other spelling. David et al. 2009 [pdf here] identified [this] (Meyer using rudolfi in 1892) as the FR act.
(Albeit [this], from 1882, might perhaps qualify as well. (That would depend on whether it was indeed published after the description or not, which is not fully clear. Meyer did not indicate page numbers for the description in Ibis, which suggests he did not know them yet when he submitted this paper. The volume is just dated "1882"; the OD is in the April issue of Ibis.))

OTOH... This is arguably a slightly peculiar case, because in the dedication ([p.234 of OD]), Meyer wrote:
I have great pleasure in naming this new species Ninox rudolfi, in honour of the illustrious patron of ornithology, His Imperial & Royal Highness Archduke Rudolph, Crown Prince of Austria, as a slight token of respect for his personal virtues and scientific attainments.
...In recent years, we have seen some workers "correcting" scientific names based on this type of "internal evidence", supposedly indicative of an "inadvertent error" in the original spelling. Maybe this is what C&B were doing ?

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back