• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (3 Viewers)

Steph - that 1% fact about the Marsh Warbler was gleaned (if my memory serves my correct) from a great talk on birdsong given at one of the DOS meeting in Allestree about 6 years ago.

If interested in Marsh Warbler mimicry read THE IMITATIVE RANGE OF THE SONG OF THE MARSH WARBLER ACROCEPHALUS PALUSTRIS, WITH SPECIAL REFERENCE TO IMITATIONS OF AFRICAN BIRDS BY FRANÇOISE DOWSETT-LEMAIRE.
An abstract can be found here: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1474-919X.1979.tb06685.x/abstract

Very interesting

Like the bit about reaching 6-7months and they stop learning... Explains why we cannot identify all the sounds, a lot will be African!

Incidentally did anyone hear our bird do Bee-eater? I have heard many Marsh do that imitation and was suprised I couldn't pick it out on the Carsi one?

Steph'

That osprey picture I mentioned.

One lucky holiday couple had it both Monday and Tuesday, if it was the same bird...

Nothing today?

Attachments

• carsiosprey110613.jpg
    carsiosprey110613.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 57
Like the bit about reaching 6-7months and they stop learning... Explains why we cannot identify all the sounds, a lot will be African!

Incidentally did anyone hear our bird do Bee-eater? I have heard many Marsh do that imitation and was suprised I couldn't pick it out on the Carsi one?

Steph'

Tony D did check his website.

Aha so he did, I must have not been listening hard enough... although I do remember the Collared Prat and Rosefinch ones!

Anyone record it singing by the way? I know Alan Shaw got some video...

ATB
Steph'

I got a few crap recordings but don't know if they will be any good.

Wyver Lane today. A single Egyptian Goose around the upper pool this morning is the second record this year after a 7 year absence. 4 drake Teal and 2 drake Gadwall on the main pool. The Oyc family weren't around the main pool but I did see an adult fly in to the upper pool so I presume the chick is also there.
Redstarts very vocal up near Wyver Woods. Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Hobby and Kestrel all seen briefly. Great Tits feeding 4 fledged young near the hide. And the 3 BH Gull chicks doing fine.

A Spotted Flycatcher down Wyver today is the 102nd species of the year. It was in Wyver Woods together with a male and juvenile Redstart. I could hear more Redstarts calling but failed to see them.

3 Teal and 4 Gadwall on the main pool. I never saw the young Oystercatcher but I presume it's around the upper pool where It could stay well hidden. There was 3 adults around there. There was also 13 Lapwings around the main pool.

Being uncharacteristically skeptical here.... Green Woodpeckers;) Hope I'm proved wrong!

Steph'

It sounds genuine. A couple of decent birders by the looks of it. They have been watching them this morning and have recordings of the song and calls too. Both birds seen and heard well.

It is indeed genuine. Just had a phone call from somebody who is on site and they've got a singing male bird there.

There is a Golden Oriole in front of this lot I promise!
I still don't think we have conclusive proof of two present but before I left we had 2 singing seemingly 150 yards apart.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 345
I'm amazed you managed to get Mr Brown in that shot without shooting wide screen. Just had about an hour and a half up there and heard and saw nothing.

See I knew I'd be skeptical at the wrong time:-O:-O:-O:-O Ha! Glad to be proved very wrong.... Just hope they are there in the morning tho' as just got in from the Pacific Swift... but that was 20years of pain and unfinished business finished finally!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back