• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goosander (1 Viewer)

I love the potential of this shot as the colouring int he goosander matches the colouring in the stones so very well. I would want to produce a shot that shows this to better effect. I would do it by shooting a wider angle and getting low down to the ground so that you are on the birds level. The bird in this shot is looking up at you and that always to me gives a feeling of supremacy over a bird rather being at one with it.
Composition is important also. The bird is looking right so produce a positive space for him to look into. At present your crop is unbalanced with too much space behind. On the whole though a nice shot, reasonably sharp with good exposure, well done.

Hi Andy,

A beautiful photo, but it does need 'levelling' up so that you have as much on both sides of your subject. I have to go along with Annette's suggestion of getting down level with the Bird too. It makes for a far better and certainly far more natural shot. Give it a try and you'll see it far improves it. I've got so many where I'm above the Bird/Animal and I don't like them much either! ;)

Sue.

I agree with the things already said, but I will add that it always helps to focus on the bird's eye before clicking. This one seems to be focused on the birds back or rump, and the eyes seem a bit out of focus. This is hardly noticeable though.

And I do like the pic!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back