• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1000 birds to see before you die (1 Viewer)

Birding Peru

I cracked this idea for a birders bucket list and have decided to write a book. "1000 birds to see before you die".
http://bit.ly/1zad
Do you want to help and suggest content?
Check the link above. It is a fun excersize. If you don't want to list 100 birds for me...pls just send a list of your top 10-100 birds to the list. Number 1 gets 100 points, nr 2 gets 99 and so forth.

Right now people participating have a very American (North and South American) biase, so it would be good to have some European perspective
as well.

They can be both birds you have seen and birds you want to see all around the world. Simply the best birds of your lifetime. They can be rare and remote, but they must be regularily seen at their site. Ivory-billed Woodpecker and Slender-billed Curlew will not make the list I am afraid, but Tuamotu Sandpiper and Scarlet-banded Barbet may if they get voted for.

The book will be free for all to download - and I will think of some scheme/campaign in which money can be donated to Birdlife International for the conservation of the threatened birds.

Saludos

Gunnar Engblom
www.kolibriexpeditions.com
Lima
Peru

I reckon if you don't sit by a lazy river, pond or lake on a summer's evening watching the Swallows swooping over the water taking insects at least once in your life it is a life poorer for that. It's not always rarities that are great to watch.

Mike, that is cool to. I am thinking as much pf the occasions as just seeing the bird. One does want some specific action to go with it. You want displaying birds on the bucket-list. You want the lek, the adult Harpy Eagle and the male King Eider and so forth.

harlequin ducks playing in rocky and rough surf.

harpy eagle taking goodsized prey.

bald eagles soaring over the merrimac river.

After last Saturday - Hoopoe. Under any circumstances.

Although, when I read the title of the thread, I imagined 1,000 very hungry birds coming at you...

Mcali, yes I did see that book...but afterwards. However 100 hardly makes a lifelist...it is aiming a bit low. Secondly, they have Ivory-billed Woodpecker as number one. In any case, their list of 100 birds will be included in the final choice for the 1000 I shall write about.
Brunop: Your top 3 will certainly make the list. They are truly astounding birds.
ColonelBoris: Hoopoe is one of Europe's most spectacular birds. It was the one I most wanted to see when I was a kid.
Solvara: Thanks for your list. They are birds I still need to see. Turning 49 this year, so I hope I shall have 21 years to make them to my personal list as well.

here's 10 possibles:

marvellous spatuletail
spoonbilled sandpiper
green cochoa
himalayan monal
gurney's pitta
silktail
hyacinth macaw
sao tome grosbeak
palawan peacock pheasant
james' flamingo

all amongst my most wanted

The large albatross. (all 22 species are great birds)
Budgerigars flying around in a massive flock
Gouldian Finch...
Waders.

Any active nest (respectfully of course). Even house sparrows can provide hours and hours of pleasure...

Some suggestions:

Secretary Bird
Giant Hornbill
Hoatzin
Coral billed Cuckoo
Paradise Flycatcher (African or Asian)
Widowbird (male in full breeding plumage)
Stellar's Sea Eagle

I can't believe no-one's mentioned Resplendent Quetzal yet! I'd go for Zeledonia, Three wattled Bellbird, Golden browed Chlorophonia, Crested Owl, Agami Heron, Sunbittern. Theres loads of amazing Cotingas, Manakins and Tanagers too!

Just to mention a few more.

Bulwer Pheasant
Giant Ibis
Arfak Astrapia
Huon Astrapia
Wilson bird of Paradise
Red bird of Paradise
Golden-fronted BowerbirdB :)
Damar Flycatcher
Flores Scops-owl
Reddish Scops-owl
Black and white laughingthrush
Giant Pitta
Gurney Pitta
Philippine Monkey eagle

Kagoo, Standard-winged & Pennant-winged Nightjar, Bonin White-eye (Honeyeater), Tufted Puffin, any Curassow, both Picathartes species, any Asity, Helmet Vanga, Inaccessible Island Rail, White-breasted Guineafowl, Great Argus, both Peafowl, Crested Owl, Oilbird, Diademed Sandpiper-Plover, Capuchinbird, the Lyrebirds, Kokako.

Diademed Sandpiper-plover for its looks.
Wrybill for its... weird bill...
Spoonbilled Sandpiper, see above.

Those are my aims for the next 25 years..

Dimitris said:

Couldn't agree more with that!

EDIT: As for behaviour:
A big flock of turning Red Knots or Dunlins. VIDEO
The distraction behaviour of diffrent Plover species.
''Churring'' Nightjars.
Displaying Black Grouses.Video
Displaying Ruffs.
Singing Golden Oriole.

Last edited:
You've got to have a swift species in there somewhere. I'd plump for either White-throated Needle-tailed (forever Need-tailed Swift to me) for sheer speed, muscle and dynamism, or a flock of chattering Alpine Swifts in a mountain gorge. Which also brings Lammergieir to mind!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back