• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In Malta (1 Viewer)

skylark25

Hey all,

Unfortunately when one hears about 'Malta' and 'birds' we are always mentioned for all the wrong reasons in the media. Few people are aware that Malta can be a great place to observe bird migration and birdwatch! Even due to our relative small size one can easily visit the top spots and make the most of a visit!

If any of you or any of your friends are planning to visit Malta in the upcoming months and wish to do some birding, I do recommend that you visit our local website I created with a good friend of mine.

Our site promotes our local and migratory birds and places where to go birdwatching illustrated with plenty of photos all taking by local birders.

Despite we are only students, over the past year out of our free time have uploaded over 200 bird profiles and over 700 bird photos!

You can also contact us on our email and we can give you any a quick reply with any advice or any information that you require.

Enjoy

www.birdinginmalta.com

Thank you:t:

Warm greetings from Malta,
skylark25

This is one of the classiest websites I've seen in a long time. A brilliant intro (how did you do that chaps?) and lots of info. Warmest congratulations are due to all and any birders in Malta simply for being out there and thereby supporting the 'cause', but you guys have acheived 'above and beyond' the call of duty. I suspect that simply going birding in Malta is a statement of sorts, so well done for promoting the birding in such a brilliant manner.

To be honest I can't see myself visiting Malta anytime soon (unless I go out on a 'raptor camp') as I'm far too enamoured with an area the far end of the Med. One big question, though, needs asking - given recent history what sort of reception do birders, esp. foriegn ones, get from the locals? How do you avoid confrontations or cope with the notorious 'downside'? I ask as I'm sure that's on others' minds. Of course, the bottom line is that, in the long run, more visiting birders should help change attitudes and be a positive force. However, having heard a non-birding friend describe the carnage a decade or so ago, I'm not sure I could rein in my anger or exercise sufficient self-control if I was there (unless in a disciplined & organised group). That said, congratulations once again and good luck with your project,

Superb site and much needed. I have happy memories of visiting the island 3 years ago and especially the Sima reserve where I was lucky enough to be shown around by one of the wardens during the midweek. I know that many birders won't visit Malta on principle because of the persecution of many birds but it seems to me that the more birders do visit and speak out against the shooters, the more chance we have of seeing it being stopped, or at least of the police making a effort to control it. Just my point of view....

I must admit that I used to be keen on an organised campaign to boycott holidaying on Malta. Hitting the population by threatening the tourist ££ was, I reasoned, the only way to exert pressure on the authoritites to take the issue seriously. However, the work of people like Skylark25 and oft voiced view from Maltese birders that this would be counter productive, persuade me that encouraging birders to visit the place is the way to go. Not sure I could stomach it, though,

Last edited:
I also won't consider a visit to Malta until their government enforces European law. Would love to visit if things were different.:C

Re: Your question

One big question, though, needs asking - given recent history what sort of reception do birders, esp. foriegn ones, get from the locals? How do you avoid confrontations or cope with the notorious 'downside'?

Hello John Cantelo,

Thank you for your kind comments. I am glad you enjoyed our site and found it informative.:t:

To be honest it was my friend whom did all the techical stuff and designed the website. I just wrote and supplied a lot of the information thats online. Regarding the introduction, we used 'Flash' to create it.

Regarding your question, well thats quite a good question to ask and a good question needs a good reply from my half.

When looking and trying to understand the local situation down here one really has to try to understand the culture and mentality of many of the locals. Maltese were always fasinated by birds and their ways. Being an island in the centre of the Mediteranean, between Europe and Africa many locals found migration fasinating. The only thing, that many people expressed their 'love' and interest in birds by either trapping and shooting them instead. This doesn't apply to Malta only, all mediterranean countries have the same culture.

Birdwatching in Malta has only taken a bit of a boost in the past few years. Before that it was unheard of and the only way how you can 'enjoy' birds was either by shooting or trapping them. This was the norm. Infact when Birdlife Malta was formed in 1962, there only where a handful of birdwatchers back then and I really admire them and their determination because they really had to go through a really hard time always facing threats and abuse.

Today things really have changed. But I still believe it is still matter of where one decides to go birdwatching. To be honest I don't really like to make my hobby open in public. I am not even 18 yet I have been threatened, offended and insulted 3 times at my local patch by a few irresponsible lot just because I had a binoculars around my neck minding my own buisness. So yes, there is that fear. Many european birdwatchers, I am sure never past through experiences us maltese birders have experienced once or more in our life and most foreign birdwatchers probably take their hobby for granted! But then again it really depends where you go. I visitedthe nature Reserves, Buskett, Comino, Ta Cenc and some other places whicha are all protected and I never had any problems at all and always sighted interesting birds. Problems may arise when once prefers to visit any other unprotected site.

Well ok, hunting takes plave all over the world and even though there are some principles that I can never agree with, I just have to live with the fact that there are people that prefer hunting birds rather than watching them. I just ahve to accept it (i am obviously referring to legal hunting)

The problem here is that Malta has so many hunters in such a small area of land that the density is too high. Just imagine visiting your local patch that is merely 2 km across and there are over 20 hunters around waiting for game to pass over. Seeing Song Thrushes, Skylarks and Starlings fall out of the sky isn't the most pleasant site to enjoy.

But yet again that is why I stress that it is merely about birding at the right place at the right time. If one doesn't want to see such scenes even though they are legal then the best is to stick to the protected sites I mentioned above. Besides the main reason that we created our site to promote our birds and birdwatching, we also created our site so it serves as a guide to the safest and best places to visit too

Usually its the birdwatchers that come for the camps of birdlife that may encounter problems. If one had to come as an independent birder he/she shouldn't have a problem with any locals. Actually the Maltese in general are very friendly people.

Re: ''How do you avoid confrontations or cope with the notorious 'downside'''

Well, its very frustrating when you encounter illegalities. If I don't want to see illegalities the best thing I should do is opt not to visit a site where hunting takes place. Because normally when I do and birds are present I always end up going back home in a bad mood witnessing a illegality(maily targeting of protected birds) . Last year I collected a blasted Grey Heron that fell in a garden in my village and I also picked up a Common Kestrel that was injured with gun wounds from my local patch. In both cases both birds had to be put down.

To cope with the notorious 'downside' you need alot of patience and control of temper I suppose. Legal hunting is here to stay wheather I agree with it or not so I will just have to accept it. All one can hope for is that education takes the better stand and persons start o enjoy birds in other ways without causing them harm. Illegal hunting needs to go and fast, although we are heading in that direction there is still so much that needs to be done. Thats why we need the international community to support Malta and help us out. Unfortunately every year I do witness certain incidents. For instance my first Osprey was shot at and came over me with a dangling leg and my first Black Stork was shot down too. This was just two years ago if I remember correctly. But the number of incidents on the whole are decreasing and less and less hunters are risking in braking the law. I don't want to sound all doom and gloom, and please not I do not want to put hunters all in the same bag or light. There are good hunters too that respect the law.

Anyhow, to cut a long story short, birdwatching in Malta can be a great experience. Foriegners visiting, if they know where they need to visit and expect, shouldn't have any troubles. Locals have started to accept birdwatching as a new hobby and with time things should change for the better good. Infact the mentality of the general public towards the appreciation of nature is improving and this is encouraging. You mentioned a decade ago, in a decade we have seen great improvement. For instance, in 2001 if you had to go to Buskett in Autumn to observe birds of prey, you would have seen honey buzzards and marsh harriers being shot down everytime they pass in reasonable shooting distance. Local birdwatchers had to endure such scenes everytime they go out!! Today, such scenes are now rare thanks to enforcement and the menatlity thanks God is changing! ...and yes today you can go to Buskett and enjoy such birds alive without getting shot.

John, If you ever will be visiting, do inform me, I'll be more than happy to show you around the island and show you some good birds too.

Yes encouraging birders to visit is the way to go. The quicker people start to realise that maltese countryside is there for everyone to enjoy, the quicker such illegalities should stop.

Wow i wrote so much! Thank you for reading all this

cheers
skylark25

Last edited:
Superb site and much needed. I have happy memories of visiting the island 3 years ago and especially the Sima reserve where I was lucky enough to be shown around by one of the wardens during the midweek. I know that many birders won't visit Malta on principle because of the persecution of many birds but it seems to me that the more birders do visit and speak out against the shooters, the more chance we have of seeing it being stopped, or at least of the police making a effort to control it. Just my point of view....

Thank you John Fleet, glad you liked it! I agree with your comment too:t:

I also won't consider a visit to Malta until their government enforces European law. Would love to visit if things were different.:C

The government is enforcing European Law, even if it is taking longer that one would want it to take. Infact for the past 3 years we haven't had a Spring hunting season opened for the hunting of Turtle Dove and Quail. The problem is that a derogation may be applied and a limited season may be opened under strict and contolled regulations...with bird quoats etc. At least that is what is being stated in the news. Trapping of finches in Autumn is now illegal too. So there you have it, government is enforcing EU law.

Please, illegalities happen everywhere in the world, from the massacres of all types of birds in Lebanon, trapping of song birds in Cyprus using limesticks, trappings of robbins etc in Italy and Sardinia, shooting of protected raptors in the EU, poisoning of raptors in the Uk...the list goes on forever.

The only difference is that Malta, we are a small country so the consequences are felt more as the chances of witnessing an illegality is much larger . Rest assured, things are improving, so I hope we will see you around some day:t:

Many thanks for your lengthy and very informative reply. Never mind the founders of birding in Malta, I take my hat off to yourself and all those locals who, despite provocation, go birding in Malta. Your island famously (and rightly) was collectively awarded the George Cross in WW2 and the courage of Malta's birders shows that this spirit is alive and well. In all honesty I don't think I could cope with what you put up with so I can't see myself visiting Malta - annoyingly since as a historian there's so much to see. However, anytime you'd like to join me birding in southern Spain you'd be very welcome indeed,

Excellent post and website.

Maybe one day if things continue to improve i will consider my first ever visit to Malta, an island we have close ties too and steeped in history.

Would love to visit one day.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back