• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yucatan and Belize (1 Viewer)

Sooty Tern is one of the ones on my list that I will be searching for. You were there twice? In April and Auguest. I wonder if they will be there in the winter. Where is the colony in Cancun that you saw? Tom

Snorkelling/diving would be on my list of things to do in Belize, as would the ruins of Tikal in neighbouring Guatamala. Add in some time birding and mammal watching in the jungle and that would be a great trip!

I am not a diver. But I have lots of adventure planned. Staying at a treehouse in the jungle and a couple of nights in a Maya indian village. Trying to find a way to get to Half Moon Caye to see the Red-footed Boobies. Will give snorkelling a try.

Hello Jay, just seeing your post...been off line for a while.

let me know what your looking for, I would be happy to help...especially raptors.

I live in an area where you could see 200 plus species in less than a week. Its awesome here.
I'll send you an email with my details,

Dan

Dan, Would really appreciate that. Didn't recieve any email or private message. Where in Belize are you? I am leaving Sunday for Cancun. Will be in Belize for two months starting January 3rd. Tom

Thanks for the tip James, I will check it out. Kat, I usually manage to travel quite cheaply. I have a hotel in Cancun for $30 simply by not staying on the beach. In Belize, I will be staying in cabins, mayan villages, apartments, treehouses, and various other accomodations but not big fancy and expensive hotels.

James,
sent you a reply on e-mail.

Just keep safe, and travel wise. I would recommend not doing the Chiapas route, but travelling to/from Belize on the east coast, and crossing at Chetumal/Corozal border. ADO is a bus you can catch from Cancun to Belize City for about 40.00 USD.

Belize bus travel is not up to Mexico standards, though. Figure old Blue Bird school buses with no a/c and many stops! Not too bad though.

Look me up when your in the Cayo district. Raptors are plentiful here, migrants are in full force also when you get here.

Be safe!
Rgds,
Daniel

Maroon Jay - I am wondering whether you had decided which guide to take with you? Or whether anybody else could comment? Thx, Felix

Hi Felix, I guess you mean guide books. If you mean guides, I have hired a guide for a few days but most of the time I will be exploring on my own. For books I have Birds of Mexico and Central America by Van Pelo and Birds of Belize (cant remember the author at the moment. (I am in a cafe and my books are in my hotel room). I also have tour books by Lonely Planet, Rough Guide and Fromers. I wanted to get Where to Find Birds in Mexico by Howell but was unable to find a copy.

Maybe a bit late to bump this thread, but I just joined the forum. I was in Yucatan a couple of years ago and birded, among other places, Cozumel. Moped is definitely a fairly cheap option. It felt pretty safe on the road, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. One problem is that most agencies say they open at 8am, which means losing quality birding-time. I arrived with the ferry around 7am and managed to find an open agency though. I birded mainly the San Gervasio ruins, El Cedral and the presidente grid (in that order). The result was less rewarding in the later sites (as expected). El Cedral was the only place I managed to see the vireo though.

I'm actually going back to Yucatan from the 29th until mid-Jan, so it seems like we'll miss eachother by a some. But I'll make my own thread about that.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back