• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Ireland Local Patch (1 Viewer)

Spotted a mixed flock of Redwing & Fieldfare at the other side of a field near Balnamore, Ballymoney, Co. Antrim, late this afternoon.

Now all I need to do is find them earlier in the day .... & get closer. ;)

Cheers,
Dick

Attachments

• redwing : fieldfare.jpg
    redwing : fieldfare.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 35
Redwings now being sighted occasionally in the Waterside area of Coleraine but still no Fieldfare to my name for the winter so far. And I'm doing targeted Winter Thrush Survey walks for the BTO!

The 2013 list got off with a bang in the garden. The brambling showed up as did the blackcap, then around lunch a male sparrowhawk came through and lifted one of the 5/6 blackbirds which feed in the garden, killed it, mantled it and then took it off to an adjoining garden to eat it. Next day I saw a female sprawk in a tree at the end of my garden and later on had a flock of long-tailed tits come through. All I need now are the waxwings?

Have been garden watching of late as there are builders in and the main room is out of commission. We are therefore camped out at the back of the house and looking at the garden more than usual, sometimes 2 - 3 hours at a stretch rather than an hour in the morning. Recently have had 3 bullfinches (2M & 1F), up to 7 siskins, 3 blackcaps (2M & 1F) a song thrush & a goldcrest which has been visiting the fat feeders and sitting around for up to 30 seconds, which is long for goldcrests. Attached shots will give you a flavour. As well as these special visitors I have all the usual stuff and have even seen a couple of greenfinches. They are a lot less common than they were. Two winters ago I had 6 - 8 goldfinches on a daily basis, this year no more than 3 infrequently.

Attachments

• SNV30052.jpg
    SNV30052.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 30
  • SNV30075.jpg
    SNV30075.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 36
  • SNV30009.jpg
    SNV30009.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 32
  • SNV30065.jpg
    SNV30065.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Song thrush 2R.jpg
    Song thrush 2R.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Some more shots from the garden. Blackcap and goldcrest are ok, but try as I might I could not get the brambling at all. This was the only time he stayed still long enough for a shot, and as you can see he proved a little shy:eek!:

Attachments

• goldcrest (4R).jpg
    goldcrest (4R).jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Brambling bum (R).jpg
    Brambling bum (R).jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Blackcap (R).jpg
    Blackcap (R).jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 41
Nw200

last Friday was a lovely day for the trip up the coast from Larne.

stopped at a carpark near Dunluce and saw what I think is a Peregrine Falcon, and a Wheatear.

a walk along the strand at Portstewart and a Bullfinch.

shame about the Saturday....

Attachments

• _MG_7135 (Large).JPG
    _MG_7135 (Large).JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 31
  • _MG_7145 (Large).JPG
    _MG_7145 (Large).JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 36
  • _MG_7157 (Large).JPG
    _MG_7157 (Large).JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 24
Great photos extata; Peregrine, Wheatear and Stonechat!

Kittiwakes only really nest-building at the Ballyreagh colony (Portrush) now. Other breeding species present are Fulmar and Oystercatcher. Stonechat, Raven and Linnet pair all had fledglings when I had a look around yesterday. Off the shore, a bonus of 4-5 Bottlenose dolphins.

Kittiwake brood sizes on the north coast are definitely down from 2012 by the current appearance of things (barely any nests with >1 chick so far), although also very late so maybe the later hatches will see more 2-3 chick broods. I've a couple more weeks free to monitor them.

Just back from a week in NI. Didn't do any hardcore birding but still got a nice list:-

Highlight of the week was a juvenile Cuckoo still being fed by Meadow Pipits at Murlough on the 1st of August. Also good numbers Stonechats with fledglings present as well as a very attractive Common Blue Butterfly.

Newcastle harbour had it's usual flock of Black Guillemots close in every day, whilst Gannet, Common Guillemot, Manx Shearwater, Kittiwake, Sandwich Tern and Fulmar could all be regularly spotted feeding further out over bay. Plenty of Redshank and Turnstone about as well.

Also, a Red Kite near Tyrella Beach on Saturday and another just south of Ballynahinch on Sunday.

Cuckoo aside, the other highlight was a Hummingbird Hawk Moth (a lifer!) that was feeding on my in-laws buddleia that, in a brief 30 minute spell, was besieged by Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell, Speckled Wood, Large White and Silver-washed Fritillary.

Here is an old picture of a Barn Owl, taken 3-4weeks ago.
Scared the life out of me! Thought it was a ghost when I first clapped eyes on it. Was down the Beragh Hill Road in one of the unused fields.

The Mute swans and cygnets were taken 4-5weeks ago, down at Culmore point opposite Lisahalley. No idea if they still are around, I may check some time.

In the skeoge industrial estate, at the "back" section there are many acres of unused wild land. One section is popular with dog walkers/horse riders, and rabbits, another section is too hard to enter due to wonderful brambles.
However another is very water logged, almost boggy, which at times has marsh bird life, I very rarely bird watch there, I really must soon.

I want to go for a walk, depending on the weather, maybe just down the back roads, or maybe down to the Foyle.

Attachments

• tumblr_mqc0qlqEKm1r8k79eo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mqc0qlqEKm1r8k79eo1_500.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 107
  • tumblr_mq6dyf4VyL1r8k79eo2_r1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mq6dyf4VyL1r8k79eo2_r1_500.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 97
advice welcome

Hi everybody, going to be in County Antrim (Cushendun) last week of August (bank holiday weekend onwards). Wondered if you have any top tips on where to go birding please? Enjoy all kinds of watching, including a bit of gazing at the sea so obviously planning to go to Rathlin Island. All advice very welcome. Thanks!

Hi everybody, going to be in County Antrim (Cushendun) last week of August (bank holiday weekend onwards). Wondered if you have any top tips on where to go birding please? Enjoy all kinds of watching, including a bit of gazing at the sea so obviously planning to go to Rathlin Island. All advice very welcome. Thanks!

Hi Debs,

fantastic part of the country to spend a few days.

It depends how dedicated a sea-watcher you are, but there are plenty of good places along the North Coast, including Ramore Head by Portrush and Torr Head.

The Bann Estuary and Lough Foyle around Myroe would be worth a look, plenty of migrants should be coming through.

Maybe worth having a look at http://nibirds.blogspot.co.uk/ to see what was around and where at the same time last year, it might help you plan a few places to visit.

All the best.

I was seeing a friend in Letterkenny today and was wondering if anyone knows any good places down there to see any birds? Also, on the way home I seen a sign, 'Lough swilly bird reserve', is it any good, or rather, what time of year will have best sightings? Thanks.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back