• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AOU-NACC proposals 2013 (1 Viewer)

Moving all those into Calidris seems totally odd. I mean, Spoonie I can see at a push, but Ruff is a Dunlin...eh? I'll stick to the 'old' way thanks
But if Sharp-tailed Sandpiper is more closely related to Ruff than it is to [Red] Knot, what else can one do? I'm a little surprised that IOC hasn't lumped Philomachus etc., into Calidris (yet, anyway).

I'm purely going on the non-scientific facts that Ruff have an amazing breeding plumage and the size difference between the sexes is vast (both - AFAIK - not shown by another Calidris)

I'm purely going on the non-scientific facts that Ruff have an amazing breeding plumage and the size difference between the sexes is vast (both - AFAIK - not shown by another Calidris)
Obviously less marked differences than in Ruff, but Pec Sand shows a fair degree of sexual dimorphism in both size and plumage (and has lekking behaviour, too). Interestingly, Pec is less of a genetic link between Ruff and other calidrids, than Sharp-tailed is.

Ruff are lekking birds... maybe you'd feel more comfortable lumping them next to Sharp-tailed Grouse than Sharp-tailed Sandpiper!

A proposal to replace the genus name Nyctanassa with the prior name Nyctherodius was rejected in favor of petitioning the ICZN to continue to use the more recent name.
Why ? Nothing justifies the rejection of Nyctherodius

"Nothing justifies the rejection of Nyctherodius"
In 2011 I wrote: AERC March 2011 . But most likely answer why is:
https://www.researchgate.net/public...n_nomenclature_by_G_N_Kashin_during_1978-1982 .
Gregory & Dickinson troublemakers. See Gregory Cerny et al.

The single post-1899 use of the name found by Gregory & Dickinson, in an apparent 1903 reprint of a pre-1900 work, is certainly not the only one.
Also (perhaps in the continuation of the first link above -- Anales de la Academia de ciencias medicas, físicas y naturales de la Habana) : in some more recent works published in Cuba, and which dealt with local bird names, a scientific nomenclature that would have normally been regarded as outdated, including the use of Nyctherodius, seems to have been continued. E.g. :
(Usage must be assessed on a global level, and cannot be limited to a subset of arbitrarily chosen works that are felt to be more "strictly ornithological" than the rest; the above works are publications too, and must be taken into account in assessing usage for the purposes of Art. 23.9 as well.)

Last : I have not seen Kashin's 1978 text, but if his way to "drew attention" (G&D's words) to the Nyctherodius/Nyctanassa issue was by an affirmative statement that Nyctherodius is not actually preoccupied and must therefore be used instead of Nyctanassa, this would of course represent an instance of usage of the name too.

Last edited:
The single post-1899 use of the name found by Gregory & Dickinson, in an apparent 1903 reprint of a pre-1900 work, is certainly not the only one.
Also (perhaps in the continuation of the first link above -- Anales de la Academia de ciencias medicas, físicas y naturales de la Habana) : in some more recent works published in Cuba, and which dealt with local bird names, a scientific nomenclature that would have normally been regarded as outdated, including the use of Nyctherodius, seems to have been continued. E.g. :
(Usage must be assessed on a global level, and cannot be limited to a subset of arbitrarily chosen works that are felt to be more "strictly ornithological" than the rest; the above works are publications too, and must be taken into account in assessing usage for the purposes of Art. 23.9 as well.)

Last : I have not seen Kashin's 1978 text, but if his way to "drew attention" (G&D's words) to the Nyctherodius/Nyctanassa issue was by an affirmative statement that Nyctherodius is not actually preoccupied and must therefore be used instead of Nyctanassa, this would of course represent an instance of usage of the name too.
Did American ornithologists bring the case before the commission of the iczn to maintain Nyctanassa?
What prevents me from using Nyctherodius in my list?

Did American ornithologists bring the case before the commission of the iczn to maintain Nyctanassa?
What prevents me from using Nyctherodius in my list?

Not that I am aware. The Code states that prevailing usage must be maintained :
  • when the conditions of 23.9.1.1 and 23.9.1.2 are both met, or
  • if an author wishing to maintain use of the younger name has referred the matter to the Commission for a ruling under the plenary power, as is mandatory under 23.9.3 in such instances, "While the case is under consideration".
If you want to use a scientific name for this bird, you have the choice between (1) using Nyctherodius, (2) petitioning the Commission yourself, or (3) violating of the Code... ;)

Not much, I'm afraid. These issues are not regulated by the Code for names above the family group.
They are however taxa with authors and dates, even if it is not regulated by the Code, the principle of priority can apply in one way or another. In other words, I can use Ardeiformes without violating the Code as it happens 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back