• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New bird names according to predictive text (1 Viewer)

Jhanlon

Rather alarmed to read an email I earlier sent referring to Whom hats. I meant whinchats! Has anyone else's predictive text created some interesting bird names?

Old Bird pager messages were great - Isabelline Wheatear in "County Court", a rare duck at Dungeness "undersea", and my favourite, a report of "2 Snoggies" (Branta caerulescens)!

This one gets a bit lost in translation but a birder in Iceland last week reported coming across "11 people crucified together" in a forest near Akureyri when they meant Crossbills, predictive text changing the word "krossnefir" (Crossbills) to "krossfestir" (crucified people").

This one gets a bit lost in translation but a birder in Iceland last week reported coming across "11 people crucified together" in a forest near Akureyri....

The Roman army on the rampage again?! :eek!: No idea they'd got so far west.

I hope you at least got roads, viniculture, public health, sanitation.... out of it.

Some quality ones there! I recall an old pager message describing an 'Iceland goal' but there must have been a fair few mis-types over the years.

Some years ago, when they were slightly easier to find, every time I typed 'Lady Amhersts's Pheasant' into my field notes using Wordperfect I got the message 'The use of the word "lady" in this context can be considered offensive by some people'. The later versions of the software don't do this, thank goodness, although the opportunities for typing the name of this species are now somewhat diminished.

This one gets a bit lost in translation but a birder in Iceland last week reported coming across "11 people crucified together" in a forest near Akureyri when they meant Crossbills, predictive text changing the word "krossnefir" (Crossbills) to "krossfestir" (crucified people").

I find it remarkable that your language envisages regular use of a special word for crucified people!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back