• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many bird sayings do you know. (1 Viewer)

“It’s hard to soar like an eagle when you work with turkeys”. A common sign on desks everywhere in the US. . ..

And speaking of turkeys, there’s also the expression “talk turkey”.

Moving on, how about “getting your ducks in a row”?

I didn't see anything about it been a barn swallow, although I do have a picture of one. My pic is of a violet-green swallow (Tachycineta thalassina). I don't think it will matter for my story anyway, if I add it. A couple more sayings have arrived also about swallows.
Because where the proverb comes from in England, the only bird called 'swallow' is Barn Swallow. Likewise for 'soar with eagles', the original reference point would be Golden Eagle. But as you say - it probably doesn't matter, I'm just being a bit pedantic as usual 3:)

Because where the proverb comes from in England, the only bird called 'swallow' is Barn Swallow. Likewise for 'soar with eagles', the original reference point would be Golden Eagle. But as you say - it probably doesn't matter, I'm just being a bit pedantic as usual 3:)

If memory serves, “one swallow does not a summer make” originated with Aristotle and who knows which of the local hirundines (if any particular species) he had in mind? And you think you’re pedantic! ;)

Last edited:
fugl, I have an image to go with 'get your ducks in a row'.

Attachments

• To get one’s ducks in a row.jpg
    To get one’s ducks in a row.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 5
Here is the new story of birds sayings with 8 new ones added that have been mentioned in posts. Have a browse through the new story here: BIRD SAYINGS Hope you like the new version.

If memory serves, “one swallow does not a summer make” originated with Aristotle and who knows which of the local hirundines (if any particular species) he had in mind? And you think you’re pedantic! ;)
3:)

Checked up, yes, it was Aristotle - which makes it odd, as swallows (well, Crag Martin at least) are resident where he was . . .

3:)

Checked up, yes, it was Aristotle - which makes it odd, as swallows (well, Crag Martin at least) are resident where he was . . .

Interesting. I suppose it’s possible that the word he used didn’t mean any kind of hirundine but refered to some other migratory bird (I understand that classical Greek is full of bird names for which the real-world referent is unknown). “Swallow” would be an obvious choice for the central or northern European translator.

Hi fugl, I have a picture that looks someone is a goose, Wild Goose Chase, I will have to fit it into the story some where. This is the story with those added already. BIRD SAYINGS. It looks like the little tale is going to be a best seller. :t:

Attachments

• wild goose chase.jpg
    wild goose chase.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 2
Re “silly as a loon”: the usual expression is “crazy as a loon”—it’s geese that are “silly”.

Hi fugl, I have a picture that looks someone is a goose, Wild Goose Chase, I will have to fit it into the story some where. This is the story with those added already. BIRD SAYINGS. It looks like the little tale is going to be a best seller. :t:
I think that goose is far too tame to lead you on a wild goose chase :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back