• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2009 (2 Viewers)

I figured bison but then thought there aren't any bison in lithuania (are there?) and it was secondguessarama.

There are a few in Lithuania, but they are basically captive animals that seem to be part of a stagnant reintroduction program - I believe about 30 or so wander a small area in the centre of the country, most in a large enclosure, a few outside. Seen them in the past, but really interested in the wild ones, so it'll be down to Poland or Belarus a few times more till I finally connect.

Obviously the idea that you may have travelled somewhere to look for them was far too obvious for me to think of it |^|

I'd had ideas to stay within the borders of Lithuania a little more this year, but totally flumped that - already done three trips out, two more planned by the month's end, one being back down for another attempt on the Bison.

Got out to Greywell after work, the evenings are really drawing out now! The only mammal was a Brown Hare feeding in a field but they have been so elusive through the winter that I was satisfied with that. Tawny Owls called but didn't show.

John

Have to say I had two days excellent birding this weekend. Trouble was I was after mammals!

Saturday I was back at the Greywell far hedge looking for mustelids. No sign. Had to make do with Brown Hare, Rabbit, and good views of Bank Vole.

However, a ringtail Hen Harrier first thing, followed by the usual hordes of Buzzards, a couple of Kestrels, a soaring Sparrowhawk and a Red Kite, were all much appreciated.

Sunday I rose early and shot off to that British banjo-playing centre of excellence aka the Forest of Dean, there to search for Wild Boar. I was well aware that of late these have become much more elusive, as the locals have started to "control" them, but I fancied a go at a bunch other than the Beckley boars.

There were two Dippers on the river below the Wenchford car park that gave me good views but were camera-shy. A Kingfisher was more routine but added to the day's interest.

I must have covered eight miles or a bit more through the day, and although I didn't see any boars I did find huge amounts of tracks and snouting everywhere I went. I can also confirm it is not only bears that 5h1t in the woods as I found my first ever Wild Boar dropping. Do not get behind a Wild Boar and startle it is my recommendation.

I found two Fallow Deer at the edge of a dark pine plantation that I was traversing, and was making some success of a stalk when a huge wet flappy snort from a horse spooked them into flight. Shortly after I found the remains of two Woodpigeons that had clearly been Goshawked and shortly after that I flushed a Gos that I hadn't been aware of, sitting in an oak tree waiting for another Woodpigeon to do something stupid.

By lunchtime I was knackered from tramping up and down hills with a load of birding and camera kit and drove to New Fancy View for a rest. Three displaying Goshawks later, one of the other birders present hesitantly asked if a shrike had been reported as he thought he had one in his scope. Sure enough he had located the Great Grey Shrike on top of a tree about a mile away across the forest towards the ridge right of Cinderford. A good spot at that distance!

Half a dozen more Fallow Deer were lounging in a clearing just North of the viewpoint, distant but decent views. I finished lunch watching a couple of Brambling by the carpark feeders.

I plunged back into the forest for the afternoon, covering more ground but still not finding more than boar sign. A group of local walkers I met said they usually see them from the road - but between eight and midnight. Oh well. I gave it a dusk watch by a plantation with boar-broken wire fences and heavily used tracks in and out, but no joy. A couple of Tawny Owls called and I saw a flick of one go by my right side.

An easy run back was another bonus after a really fun but tiring day.

John

I got out to Moor Green last night, not to any great effect but a female Roe Deer still with her well-grown twins, a Grey Squirrel, a bunch of Rabbits enjoying the mild weather and rather later on, two courting Red Foxes yowling the night away were all enjoyable.

34 Goosander roosting were the bird highlight.

John

I took Friday afternoon off to enjoy the unaccustomed sunshine. As I got into the field the clouds came over.....

There were sunny spells after that. Mammals were limited to almost a dozen Roe Deer in ones, twos and one female with well-grown twins, several Grey Squirrels and a bunch of Rabbits.

One female Roe Deer with a single juvenile was just on the far bank of the River Blackwater and stood for photos until a family with children and a dog came along. Their sound initially sent the juv to its mum for a group portrait but then both of them moved off despite the child being hushed by its parents and the dog controlled. There is no substitute for absence of both but they did try, which not everyone does by any means. And they got views of the deer and were delighted.

Birds of the day were a pair of Shelduck, which are only passage migrants at Moor Green.
Baiting the Grove hide produced nothing at all, though given its fair sized reed bed and expanses of tussocky grass I think it has more potential for Harvest Mouse than the Colebrook hide (where I have seen one three times but not recently). This was also true of Saturday evening.

Saturday morning was quite entertaining down at the Greywell far hedge, with a surge in Bank Vole activity due to the warm weather. I finally took my first small mammal pictures with my new Canon 28-200mm USM and the results were spectacularly better than previous best efforts. It was so nice to be able to take everything from whole animal in setting, down to head portraits, without either changing lenses or moving position.

At least twenty Buzzards up at once was a decent count and the local Red Kite appeared briefly to get hell not only from corvids but also two Buzzards!

As I got home for afternoon tea a Little Egret flew South over the house.

John

A wander round Moor Green yesterday evening produced distant Roe Deer, quite a crop of Rabbits now the weather is warmer, a couple of Grey Squirrels and not much else.

Bird-wise a Ringed Plover was the pick of the bunch but two violently arguing Kingfishers along the Blackwater were a delight.

I moved at dusk across to the canal where my main photographic Badger sett was harshly illuminated by new floodlights at the riding establishment on my side. I anticipated a failure but was pleased to discover that the Badgers have already got used to the lights and were trundling about pretty much as usual. I got several quite nice pix over half an hour and went home very satisfied with calls of Tawny and some very loud Little Owls echoing in my ears.

John

Out after Badgers again last night, best to make hay while the sun shines - OK when its not raining, no sunlight at 1900 hrs! Badgers also making hay or at least nicking it: I had a superb view of one dragging huge armfuls of hay/straw backwards across the field to the sett, and just missed a classic picture by not realising just where the hole started. I got a shot but the Badger was badly positioned and halfway underground and you can't really see the bundle it is dragging.

Incidentally all these observations are with my nightscope boresighted with the camera. With Mk 1 Eyeball through camera viewfinder I would see diddly-squat.

I'll have another go this evening.

John

While I was waiting for the Badgers last night it occurred to me I was becoming more of a cyborg (cybirder?) than a human birder. When I first started birding I went out with bins round my neck and a scope on a tripod over my shoulder. Well, I did have a digital watch, but my camera was mechanical with manual focusing.

Last night..... digital watch, head torch, digital camera with electronic flash on top, autofocus lens on the front and IR nightscope mounted alongside; pager; mobile phone. Eight separate electric-powered gadgets. You don't have to twitch anywhere to run up a carbon footprint these days!

John

On a course last week so a lot of catching up to do.

Friday before last - 27 Feb. Beautiful afternoon so I scooted out of work as early as I could and down to Greywell, where I baited my Bank Vole spot and went for a wander to give the animals time to find the new batch of food. Distant views of Brown Hare later, I returned, to immediately see a small very dark shape dart out, snatch a seed and zip back into cover. No way was that a Bank Vole - that was a shrew!

Close attention revealed on a second visit that a Common Shrew (year tick) was taking seeds from the pile and whizzing back into cover to eat them. From the patter of very tiny feet it might be going all the way back to its hole to do so, so there was a gap of a couple of minutes between sorties. I had not really expected a shrew to take vegetarian food but I suppose at this end of the winter any high-energy source is fair game.

I settled down in the chalky mud for a long session and two hours later as dusk deepened to the point where I couldn't actually see the shrew arriving, I creaked upright with about thirty or forty frames. Half showed nothing, several more a departing rump and tail, but about five had a full-frame Common Shrew and one was a cut above the rest and I was ecstatic. Far far better Common Shrew shots than I had ever taken before: well worth leaving the office early!

Saturday we hunted and found a car for Marion, put down a deposit and then had a passage Marsh Harrier from the M25 on the way home.

Sunday, having missed the Saturday last post and needing to get a cheque to the car dealer, I drove round again, dropped it in and headed for Beckley where a whole afternoon and evening flogging round got me a few grunts and heavy footsteps but no sightings of the increasingly difficult boars. I did get a nice view of a Tawny Owl in flight and perched up, but too far off for pictures.

Being on a course through the week my opportunities were a bit limited but I did knock off a local Muntjac in the grounds of the venue as well as Ring-necked Parakeet for the year.

Thursday night a pair of Red Foxes out the back of our house kept me awake for an hour.
Hopefully they will breed there and I will get daylight cub photos later in the year.

Friday night I went to the canal Badger sett where the Badgers failed to put in an appearance probably due to the excessively loud, rather "county" riding instructor in the floodlit stables behind me. The evening was improved by my first Daubenton's Bat of the year skimming the canal surface.

Saturday I was down to Greywell in the morning where I saw no small mammals (but topped up the bait to keep them interested) but Roe Deer and Brown Hare were nice. Saturday afternoon we picked up Maz's new car - freedom for her now her back is much better - excellent!

In the evening Clare and I bowled down to the Badger sett where not only did a Badger give us a fine demonstration of gathering bedding (I got a shot but not a really good one - must do better) but Toads were on the move from the woods to the canal. We counted eleven, didn't step on any and got good pictures. We also saw a lot more Daubenton's Bats, multiple sightings with pairs chasing each other as well as singles hunting. 8-9 was a very conservative estimate.

Keen to keep scoring Clare and I were out again Sunday morning, and a Weasel surprised us on the road before we even reached the far hedge. By the time we got parked and found our cameras of course it had disappeared. Brown Hares were again in the fields and we had the bonus of five Grey Partridges, three distantly across the valley but two near the road along our ridge giving great views!

On the way down the hedge, we found a Blackbird sitting on a bare branch outside the heavy ivy swathing on a tree in the owl hedge, yelling its head off. It seemed obvious to me that there was an owl roosting inside the ivy, but try as we might we couldn't spot it.

It was apparent that something small had been at the bait overnight, with slipped dry soil pushed over the seeds nearer the top of the clear slope where I put it. While we staked it out we saw nothing, but it was very windy which often puts small mammals off.

The local Red Kite drifted past hotly pursued by Carrion Crows and we had a fistful of displaying Buzzards.

Bored and cold we tried Bramshill for Adders but clanged out. Clare had a Common Lizard which I missed altogether, and then she more or less trod on a Woodcock that gave her a heart attack. I just saw it after her shout before it vanished into the woods.

From there we though we would go for pix of Muntjac in Reading, but just as we arrived the heavens opened from a sky that had been steadily darkening. Twenty minutes of sitting in the car later, we gave up. We had reached Bracknell on the way home when we began to see the blue line that marked the passing of the front. Oh well.....

It was too bright an evening to waste so we reconvened and hit the far hedge again, to find the Common Shrew once again snatching seeds but only visiting infrequently and not conducive to getting pix. On the way there Clare had spotted six Fallow Deer in a field just East of Junction 5 of the M3, (South side). The final highlight of the weekend was the Tawny Owl in the owl hedge, sitting on the branch that the Blackbird had been mobbing it from in the morning.

John

Last edited:
Hi John,
Super signs of mammals on my land - a group of Elk have moved in, footprints everywhere. Seems they are resting up on a couple of the swamp islands, heavily used 'lie-ups' in denser areas. Also much presence of Roe Deer and one passing Red Deer. A littel free water has appeared beside one of the Beaver lodges. Had a Red Squirrel too, boundng across the ice.

The only one to get a photograph:

Attachments

• Roe Deer labanoras 1.jpg
    Roe Deer labanoras 1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 67
Hi John,
Super signs of mammals on my land - a group of Elk have moved in, footprints everywhere. Seems they are resting up on a couple of the swamp islands, heavily used 'lie-ups' in denser areas. Also much presence of Roe Deer and one passing Red Deer. A littel free water has appeared beside one of the Beaver lodges. Had a Red Squirrel too, boundng across the ice.

The only one to get a photograph:

Nice Roe Deer!

What a cracking array of stuff you get. Especially Woodpeckers! Maybe I will have to gatecrash sometime - not this year though, too much going on already...

Cheers

John

Wednesday evening I got out to Greywell again. I had just started down the hedge track when Pheasants alarming from the field alerted me to a raptor whizzing along at zero feet: a female Merlin showing well! I had a lovely view of it hurtling across the furrows, close enough to see the heavy streaking below and the face pattern before losing it between bramble bushes. Merlins are not common or easy locally so I was delighted with the record even without the excellent view.

There was a Brown Hare sitting up in a green field across the valley but someone walking their pack of five Rottweilers soon chased that off. I put bait down in the usual place (a mixture of mixed bird seed and sultanas is doing it for me at the moment)and wandered further along the track to give the animals time to find it.

When I returned, without having found anything else exciting but having spent some time watching a mixed flock of Chaffinches and Yellowhammers feeding, the Common Shrew was already zapping in and out of the site. Unfortunately I think he had already had quite a meal and his frequency dropped right off so I got no more pix.

Wren, Blackbird and tit alarm calls suggested very strongly that a mustelid was making its way along the far side of the hedge but find it I could not. I reckon with better weather sightings will go well up.

As I returned I could hear Little Owls calling from across the fields, and at the owl hedge Blackbirds made it clear it was "owl-time" just before the Tawny male announced himself and left his roost to fly away from me along the hedge, perching in a suitably overhanging position to await an unwary vole, Rabbit or for all I know, Roe Deer.

A good evening out.

John

Last edited:
Nice Roe Deer!

What a cracking array of stuff you get. Especially Woodpeckers! Maybe I will have to gatecrash sometime - not this year though, too much going on already...

You are more than welcome.

Snow still on the ground, lakes still frozen, but a butterfly today - Small Tortoiseshell flitting along past the city's cathedral!

Cheers Jos, apologies for absence everyone else. I've been on a course in London the last two days, so House Mouse is out of the way for the year: a young one at Tottenham Court Road (Northern Line, northbound platform) on Monday evening and an adult at Waterloo (also N Line N bound) yesterday morning. Judging age on absence of ingrained soot in fur of first one: adults in the Underground are filthy blackish.

A good weekend started on Friday when I left the office as soon as possible and rocketed down to Greywell. A Grey Squirrel at work was followed by three Brown Hares courting, two Common Shrews (one each side of the track at bait) that were much too quick for pix and a Bank Vole that only came out once. I had just seen a couple of Rabbits on my way back to the car near dusk when a Barn Owl flew past me on the far side of the hedge. Further up the Tawny Owl flitted along its hedge before perching up in a distant oak.

I zipped over to the canal where the Little Owls were shouting their heads off and three Badgers were frisking around at the sett. Further up lots of Daubenton's Bats were skimming the water surface. I returned to the sett and waited a long time, getting only occasional brief views of Badgers and being distracted by the Daubs and a pair of Mallards drifting idly on the water. Suddenly the last squawked and rose with a clatter of wings and lots of splash: in the nightscope I spotted a Mink swimming along by the far bank, towards me. I got one shot of it in the water, then it climbed out and made its way rather cautiously through the middle of the sett area, with me flashing off more pix and it much more concerned about the possibility of marauding Badgers than the quiet lightning coming from across the canal. It made it through without incident and disappeared along the badger track that follows the canal bank.

Saturday was cold and blustery but dry and I was back at Greywell by mid-morning to find it was raptor city, with about 20 Buzzards displaying on any panoramic scan, two Red Kites, various Sparrowhawks and Kestrels and best of all, slanting through my field of view while I was watching a kite and a Buzzard at the same time, a first-winter Peregrine that slashed down to ground level across the field next to me before zooming up, catching a thermal and soaring out of sight northwards.

I had a couple of Roe Deer but no other mammals, then followed a tip from Clare to Fleet Pond.

More later...

John

Had to go and do some work, shocking interruption.

Fleet Pond was a bird diversion: Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in one of its usual areas, near the Brookly stream, as well as a corking male Brambling that was just about photographable on its fly-catching perch in an alder. I couldn't spot any Sand Martins over the pond itself. I did find a Common Frog orgy in progress in one of the standing pools, and loads and loads of spawn in some of the others.

I had a tea break at home than went out to Greywell again late afternoon with Clare. No shrews, but three Bank Voles came to the bait and gave us decent photo-opportunities. As we transited from there to the canal five Grey Partridges scuttled across the road ahead of us - whoopee!

At the canal sett we had thre Badgers more or less straight away, getting decent views in the sunset afterglow, then we walked further along and had some Common Toads, a load of Daubenton's Bats and a (presumed) Soprano Pipistrelle - it was feeding directly over the canal and there is a large pond right next to it at that point so not an unreasonable assumption: when I have been able to test Pips locally with borrowed bat detectors the split has been as predicted. Roll on mine turning up - it is ordered.

Both Tawny and Little Owls were as usual very vocal and a pair of Red Foxes was yammering nearby.

Sunday was difficult and mildly frustrating as I had guaranteed I would turn up to support David doing Fleet half marathon and the weather was awesome! Brimstones were my first butterflies of the year which was some compensation, and Grey Squirrels bounced about in the Calthorpe Park trees.

In the evening I was back to the canal where the warm weather had finally brought out some Noctules. Steve D was watching the Badgers when I arrived: he had six adults altogether (I had only managed three to that point) so it seems the whole of last year's family remains intact. He had also had foxes coming from the outlying sett holes so with any luck there will be accessible cubs again later. I had more toads, loads more Daubs and the Soprano Pip again as well as the owls.

Tuesday evening after my course I was back at the canal again, seeing a Common Toad orgy (50 plus, I don't really do counting once I run out of fingers) and getting some OK pix of the Daubenton's Bats low over the canal. I also had a decent nightscope view of a Red Fox on the towpath but it made me fifty yards off and slipped away into the undergrowth.

Yesterday (Wednesday) I topped up the bait at Greywell but saw little - a few Brown Hares restive in a set aside strip, a couple of Rabbits, a Roe Deer and a scuttling Bank Vole. The canal yielded a bunch of 6 Noctules enjoying the warm evening (a couple of rubbish silhouette shots against the sunset) and the usual hordes of Daubenton's Bats.

And thats me up to date! Noctule was number 20 for the year, and in a week's time Maz and I are off to Scotland for a week - NOT camping.

John

Out again yesterday afternoon. To Moor Green first of all: LRP year tick, a Little Owl sitting out in the sun for a record shot, Barn Owl in the lake box doorway. Sunny, but a cold wind - not at all like the previous day.

I found a Roe Deer yearling feeding slowly towards the track, against the sun, and took a few pix trying to achieve something more than a field guide shot. Haven't really looked at them yet, but I think I managed broadly what I was aiming at. Unfortunately the damn deer got about half as close as I wanted it and then lay down in long grass - endex!

I headed for the canal late in the afternoon hoping for better views of Noctules but the cold wind seemed to make that unlikely so after nailing my first Swallow of the year I staked out the Badgers, finding Steve D already in residence. Unfortunately a combination of hedge chopping (and I mean total annihilation turning hacked off stuff into rustic fencing) and the loud riding instructor delayed emergence to late dusk and we didn't get the perormance then that the Badgers have been doing. A pox on humans, why can't they leave the countryside in a bit more peace?

A single Daubenton's Bat and a Soprano Pip finished the evening off apart from the sort of Badger that comes in a pint glass.

John

Friday and another bash at the canal at dusk for Noctules. Slightly more success with two whizzing around above the pond but unfortunately too distant even for record shots. Rather off-put by a fisherman who spent the first ten minutes of my watch making up to his girlfriend inside his tent thing and after she left, the next fifteen on his mobile to his partner protesting his innocence and explaining how he hated her. And no sign of Kyle or Goddard anywhere!

Daubs and Badgers showed but not with huge enthusiasm.

Saturday dawned fine and sunny and I was off out to Greywell in short order. Two Roe Deer on the drive down were followed by at leasat 6 Bank Voles showing up and down the hedge (2 coming to bait, one photographed), an OK performance from the Common Shrew on the other bait, and a distant Brown Hare lolloping about as various dog-walkers flushed it from place to place.

Chiffchaffs were obviously now "in" with males singing all over the place instead of just in sheltered wetalnd spots.

Late monring I decided on a change of scene and headed up to Bramshill to look for Adders. A good deal of searching only yielded one, and that was off like a shot: a darkish male. Small Tortoiseshell and Comma went on the butterfly year list.

I took a break in the afternoon and hit Greywell Mill at dusk again hoping for Noctule action. I didn't get any but did see a fine big Brown Trout and a few Daubs as well as my first local Marsh Tit this year and a good performance from the big rookery at the site.

Sunday monring I was slow getting up but went first to Bramshill where again the Adders had finished basking before I had started looking for them. I ticked Orange Underwing (which I might have missed altogether had Clare not nailed it the previous day somewhere else and put it in the front of my mind) and photographed a Common Lizard - always nice to do that away from the Thursley boardwalks.

At work I had been given a hot tip for a Brown Rat site: Blackwater railway station. "Doesn't matter what time of day, just look near the ticket machine": I was a little sceptical and not very optimistic as I reached the station dead on noon.

I had been there about five seconds when I saw the first big, sleek, well-fed looking rat run down the concrete retaining wall for the embankment and dive headlong into the waste bin at the bottom. I am so glad I am not the man who changes the bin bags!

Within thirty seconds I had my first pic and after ten minutes I decided I had enough and should go before I drew attention to the rats and led the Chinese Restaurant across the road to have them all poisoned. Top spot.

The rest of the day was non-wildlife related until Marion trapped an Early Thorn in the kitchen mid-evening.

A really good general naturalist weekend.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back