• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the Panasonic Lumix GF1 (1 Viewer)

Neil

I finally got dispensation to buy the Panasonic GF1. I was originally going to just get the Panasonic 20/1.7 P lens and maybe the Canon S90 but was talked into the Panasonic package as being the best deal. With hindsight this made the most sense as I now have a back up for the G1 ( same battery ) and HD video as well.
First I tested with the 20-60 and 25-50 zooms at home. Some vignetting with the 20-60zoom but gone at 50x . Little to none with the 25-50 zoom.
Out in the local park digiscoping the usual suspects the lens Auto Focused very fast and the screen is big and bright , but doesn't reticulate unfortunately.
Menus and buttons are similar to the G1.
The lens looks sharp ( sharper than the Olympus 25/2.8P ) and the lens will screw into the DCA adapter and AF ( the camera is light enough to move back and forth in AF mode).
Here are a few taken today with the 25-50x zoom.
Neil

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicGF1/

Panasonic Lumix GF1 and Panasonic 20/1.7 P lens on Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw 25-50x zoom eyepiece and DCA adapter

Hong Kong,
China.
October 2009

Attachments

• bc night heron GF1 swzm25x_1010063.jpg
    bc night heron GF1 swzm25x_1010063.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 1,124
  • bc night heron GF1 swzm40x c_1010107.jpg
    bc night heron GF1 swzm40x c_1010107.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 897
  • duck GF1 swzm25x_1010206.jpg
    duck GF1 swzm25x_1010206.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 815
  • peacock GF1 swzm25x_1010121.jpg
    peacock GF1 swzm25x_1010121.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 826
Neil, these look excellent. Are they out of camera jPegs? Also, on first impressions, and disregarding the non-reticulating screen, do you think this could be a better digiscoping camera than the G1? Thanks,

David

Neil, these look excellent. Are they out of camera jPegs? Also, on first impressions, and disregarding the non-reticulating screen, do you think this could be a better digiscoping camera than the G1? Thanks,

David

David,
Unfortunately not. No Electronic Viewfinder is a major disadvantage when digiscoping out in the sun and one of the great features of the G1. On a straight scope you can use it like a DSLR plus Super-tele lens and you get to see the historgram so you can adjust exposure on the fly. The HD video doesn't make up for this unfortunately.
Neil.

Neil,

Thanks for your earlier reply. I found Thom Hogan's review of the GF1 on his website just after I sent you an e-mail. He is less favorable toward the GF1 but is looking at the camera from a non-digiscoper's view. Looking forward to more great images from you!

I forgot to mention that there is an external Electronic Viewfinder you can add to the GF1 at an extra cost.
Neil.

... but this extra viewfinder has a lower resolution and is smaller then the very fine 202k pixels on G1 and GH1.
The GH1 (video, rotable screen, and hig res viewfinder) with the 45 F2.8 is may be the digiscoping cam of my dreams o:)

... but this extra viewfinder has a lower resolution and is smaller then the very fine 202k pixels on G1 and GH1.
The GH1 (video, rotable screen, and hig res viewfinder) with the 45 F2.8 is may be the digiscoping cam of my dreams o:)

I agree Bughunter. I have one on my Ricoh GX100 and find it next to useless and it's always in the way and they get broken very easily ( by me anyway)
Neil

GF1 in HK

Neil,

I will be in HK Fri and Sat this week and I want to find a GF1 with the 20mm kit lens. Might you be able to share where you think I might find one in-stock in HK? I know they are hard to find. Did you have to pau more than the suggested retail price from Panasonic?

I really appreciate the help!

Thanks,
arynd

Neil,

I will be in HK Fri and Sat this week and I want to find a GF1 with the 20mm kit lens. Might you be able to share where you think I might find one in-stock in HK? I know they are hard to find. Did you have to pau more than the suggested retail price from Panasonic?

I really appreciate the help!

Thanks,
arynd

Arynd,
I buy most of my photo and electronic equipment from Universal Electronics in Pacific Place on Hong Kong Island. I've been buying from the same guy for almost 20 years. Not the cheapest in town but he can get me anything and is reliable. He had several GF1s on Monday. Ask for Kenny and mention my name.
Neil.

Arynd,
I buy most of my photo and electronic equipment from Universal Electronics in Pacific Place on Hong Kong Island. I've been buying from the same guy for almost 20 years. Not the cheapest in town but he can get me anything and is reliable. He had several GF1s on Monday. Ask for Kenny and mention my name.
Neil.

Neil,
Thanks for the quick reply. I will find the number on the internet and call Kenny to see if they still have the GF1 with the 20mm kit lens in stock. If you don't me asking, did you have to pay more than the manufacturers suggested price (around $7490 HKD)?

Thanks,
arynd

Neil,

Apologies if this has already come up, but have you ever tested eyepiece projection with either of your mini4/3-systems (ie. no camera lens)? It would be interesting to see how ep-projection performs compared to your normal digiscoping results in your standardized "heron test" ;). I very briefly played with a borrowed ATS80HD + 25-50x + UCA + Nikon D60 and I was positively surprised at how well the eyepiece worked with a DSLR. A mirrorless body with a short backfocus & live view would most probably be better. Unfortunately it is a dark and wet season here at the moment which is why I thought you would get the results faster.

This was a typical sample from my first trials. The distance was about 10m, the zoom at 25x, ISO800, 1/160s, snowfall, very poor light. This wide-angled zoom has a relatively heavy pincushion at 25x, but otherwise it seems like a perfect general purpose eyepiece for both birdwatching and digiscoping.

Best regards,

Ilkka

Attachments

• Pater.jpg
    Pater.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 782
Hi All

I am just getting back into digiscoping and considering a new camera. I am looking about these 4/5 cameras. Are they a body with lenses to fit onto like a DSLR? If so how does it work with digiscoping? Is there an adapter that fits onto the Swaro DCA?

All the best
Jon

Hi All

I am just getting back into digiscoping and considering a new camera. I am looking about these 4/5 cameras. Are they a body with lenses to fit onto like a DSLR? If so how does it work with digiscoping? Is there an adapter that fits onto the Swaro DCA?

All the best
Jon

Jon,
The G1 kit zoom lens (14-45 mm ) has a 52 mm thread so the DCA screws straight to it and you can digiscope on a fixed eyepiece. For the zooms have a look at the Olympus 25/2.8 P lens on the Panasonic 20/1.7 ( with new 25-50 zoom ).
Neil.

Hi Neil

I have either a 30x fixed or a 20-60x zoom. I would prefer to use the zoom as I assume the 4/5ths cameras are like an slr and dont have zoom?

Hi Neil

I have either a 30x fixed or a 20-60x zoom. I would prefer to use the zoom as I assume the 4/5ths cameras are like an slr and dont have zoom?

It depends on which lens comes with the camera. The G1 came with a kit zoom 14-45 mm which is good for digiscoping as it's internally focusing ( it has a 52 mm thread to match with your adapter ). The GF1 is being bundled with the 20/1.7 P lens which is not internally focusing but the camera is light enough that this doesn't seem to matter (it may in the long tern though ). The kit zoom will work well with the fixed 30x but not the zoom. The 20/1.7P has vignetting issues with the zoom eyepiece up until 40x and after that is ok and of course will be ok with the fixed 30x.
Neil.

I'm trying with next combination

Kowa 883 scope
Kowa TE-20H or KOWA TSN-VA3
DA10 adapter with 52 mm adapter-ring
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro
Olympus MF-2 adapter

Let's see shall I have vinjetting

Last edited:
Next combination
Kowa 883 scope
DA10 adapter with 52 mm adapter-ring
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro
Panasonic DMW-MA1E adapter

works fine with all next okulars
Kowa TE-20H
Kowa TSN-VA3
Kowa 20-60 zoom

No vinjetting

Back out to the park today in light rain ( just before the thunderstorms hit ) to test the zeiss 28/2.0 lens on the G1 and the Olympus 50/2.0 Macro on the GF1. Set up on my homemade balance bar for support for the heavy lenses.
I've also posted a video here taken with the GF1.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/4659495451/
Neil

Panasonic Lumix GF1 and Olympus 50/2.0 lens and Swarovski STM80HD scope and Sw 25-50 zoom and Homemade balance bar

Hong Kong,
China.
June 2010

Attachments

• flamingo GF1 swzm25 olymp50 P1090098.jpg
    flamingo GF1 swzm25 olymp50 P1090098.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 407
Neil,

How are you attaching the Panasonic 20/1.7 P lens to the Swarovski DCA, I have the impression that the thread is 46mm?

I was wondering as I quite like the look of the G2 (added HD video) and with the 25x50 Zoom this might be a good combo?

Cheers

I have a step down adapter from 46/43 mm to fit the 43 mm DCA. As I have two DCAs I have one set for 52 mm and one for 43 mm so I can switch cameras quickly. You can go from 46/52 mm if you prefer.
There is vignetting with the 20/1.7 mm lens on the 25 -50 zoom up to 40x but it's ok at 50/60x.
Neil

Neil,

How are you attaching the Panasonic 20/1.7 P lens to the Swarovski DCA, I have the impression that the thread is 46mm?

I was wondering as I quite like the look of the G2 (added HD video) and with the 25x50 Zoom this might be a good combo?

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back