• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How about keeping a Yard/Garden List for 2010 (1 Viewer)

Larry Lade

Our home is in Saint Joseph, Missouri, USA

January Birds

1. American Goldfinch
2. Dark-eyed Junco
3. House Finch
4. European Starling
5. Carolina Wren
6. Blue Jay
7. Northern Cardinal
8. White-breasted Nuthatch
9. Red-bellied Woodpecker
10. Black-capped Chickadee
11. House Sparrow
12. Northern Flicker
13. Downy Woodpecker
14. Red-breasted Nuthatch
15. American Crow (fly-over)

16. Sharp-shinned Hawk, January 6

It spooked all the birds at our feeders as well as those birds at feeders in our neighbor's yard down the street. Now it is just perched in one of the neighbor's trees presumably waiting for the feeder birds to return.

Hi Larry,
I'm new to this but that sounds like a great idea how about a weekly list or monthly. daily would seem to be alot for most folks unless retired.
January So Far In South Carolina, USA

Yellow rump warbler
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted titmouse
Cardinal
Chipping Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Ruby crowned kinglet
Red belly Woodpecker
Carolina Wren
Red-winged blackbird
Mourning doves
Downy woodpecker
Dark Eyed junco
Pine Warbler
Red shouldered hawk

Yard/Garden List

Don't have feeders in my yard ,good idea and will contribute when spring arrives or when a bird passes through!Does the list include birds seen or heard from your yard?

My idea when creating this thread was to include all birds seen or heard when you are in your yard. * It will include birds that fly over your yard which you can identify, viz. crows, ducks & geese, gulls & terns, etc.

You don't have to add birds every day, every week, etc., just keep a "running tally" of the birds you observe from your yard as you have the opportunity to do so.

We have lived at our present location for 37 years so have a rather long "Yard List", (137 species observed).

I just thought it might be interesting to keep a list for a single year, in this case the year 2010.

Chris, I will watch your additions to your list with interest.

Chris, it looks like you live in a great spot for observing various bird species! It would appear that you are not too far from the Atlantic and also very near Lake Moultrie. I would imagine that you bird those areas quite often.

It should be enlightening to see how our yard lists (South Carolina [USA], Manitoba [Canada] and Missouri [USA]) compare in respect to bird species recorded.)

21. Red-tailed Hawk (a fly-through), March 3
22. Snow Goose (1000's flying over), March 4
23. Ross's (several flying over with the Snow Geese), March 4

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back