• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone fancy Morocco? (1 Viewer)

Is Mauritania a possibility at the moment given current politics? Thought it was pretty much a no go zone for western tourists at the moment?

Is Mauritania a possibility at the moment given current politics? Thought it was pretty much a no go zone for western tourists at the moment?

Italian tourist on her way somewhere in that very broad area today, abducted in southern Algeria, thought to already have been taken across a border. Regrettably, she stands real chance of not surfacing alive again. No, this area is not very safe, but that said the overland route through Mauritania is still open and a steady run of travellers are passing through, the chances of it being you in the wrong place are still low, but higher than for a little while now.

Miilda, Dantheman and myself returned in the wee small hours this morning - an excellent trip with great birds, great company and lots of sardines. Drove almost 7000km in two weeks, seemingly visited all corners of Morocco and Western Sahara, enjoyed pretty much all the "target" resident species plus Pied Crow and Western Reef Heron - and all for less than £450 each!
A trip report will follow in due course, but may take a while for various reasons; in the meantime, if anyone's planning a visit and want general or specific info, please feel free to ask on this thread, or by PM.
Finally, it's nice to be able to say that this forum works, and thanks to Birdforum for making this possible.

Stunning and extremely successful trip with the excellent company. Flush of birds from the first day. More and more species every day let us to finish with the impressive list of the trip and almost all targets under our belts.
Came back just a couple of days ago straight into the deep snow and cold but conspicuous suntanned and still with a wide smile on my face. I still have dreams about all these fantastic birds and wonderful country. This trip surpassed all my expectations!
I will definitely come back! :king:

Well done to Dan & co for coming back alive. Just wish I'd been able to go & not stuck on a boat in the North Sea. Can't wait for a trip report :)!!

Yes ... indeed ... as trips go it went reasonably well on the whole.

The trip went smoothly enough, most target species met with, with a few extras, and a reasonable haul of lifers each. 215 or so species seen (with a few heard only), but we failed to clean up on a number of groups, for example the larks, with only 9 and a half species (no Woodlark or Calandras), and Wheatears (too early for Seebohm's, didn't meet up with any on passage either), and only large flocks of Desert Sparrows down in the extreme south representing that family. Risso's Dolphins, African Wild Cat and stuff like that, but no Cheetahs, and contrary to the visitor board at Oued Massa, no Ostriches either. Most disappointing.

We got on ok or better most of the time, escaped fines from the police on a couple of occasions, it rained on one evening for a while. It was also cold sometimes at night, and windy in the desert. Room service at the Hotel Dacia Logan left a lot to be desired, but at least it was cheap.

Certainly won't be going back anytime in the near future ...

Last edited:
I should just add that had I been driving on certain stretches, we'd still be ambling along now.....

You're meant to be mentioning my superlative organisational and birding skills - I thought that was what I paid you for ... ? ;)

the larks, with only 9 and a half species (no Woodlark or Calandras ...

I can't count either. It was 15 species of Lark, if you count Long-billed Crested Lark and Black-crowned Sparrow Lark. A superb Dupont's was my personal highlight though ...

Missed the smiley off my last post of course ( ;) ) - fantastic trip ... cheers guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back