• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Namibia and Botswana RFI (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
Looking into visiting Namibia after the new year, as an extention of an independent South Africa trip. We'd hope to include crossing into northern Botswana. I've Just seen a great trip report by Richard Rae who covered many sites in December 2004, all with a hired 2WD vehicle.

Anyone know if this is still likely to be possible, and if so more difficult in Jan through Feb weatherwise?

Any links to more recent reports involving 2WD, or any other advice greatly appreciated, eg would it be actually easier to access northern Botswana from SA somehow?

cheers,

Larry

PS. cost the biggest issue, ie. camping and no guides whenever possible.
PPS. Richard's report mentions the need for an international driving license to hire a car. Is this still the case?

Last edited:
Looking into visiting Namibia after the new year, as an extention of an independent South Africa trip. We'd hope to include crossing into northern Botswana. I've Just seen a great trip report by Richard Rae who covered many sites in December 2004, all with a hired 2WD vehicle.

Anyone know if this is still likely to be possible, and if so more difficult in Jan through Feb weatherwise?

Any links to more recent reports involving 2WD, or any other advice greatly appreciated, eg would it be actually easier to access northern Botswana from SA somehow?

cheers,

Larry

PS. cost the biggest issue, ie. camping and no guides whenever possible.
PPS. Richard's report mentions the need for an international driving license to hire a car. Is this still the case?

I did Namibia in a 2WD. Although I was there in July/August. I did get the car stuck once, but it is possible. Campsites in Namibia are horribly overpriced, as a result they can be very empty - outside Etosha.

http://www.freewebs.com/stevebabbs/southernafrica2010.htm

and no to the the international driving license - as long as you have a photo license. I've never been asked for one anywhere in the world. Do be aware though that some South African hire companies don't insure you for unsurfaced roads! Which is madness! Many are vague about cover and talk about 'suitable roads'. I got an email from the company to say that I was definitely covered.

Hi Larry,
couple of years ago I did a loop from Jo'burg, up through northeastern Botswana, and into Namibia along the Caprivi Strip, then down to Etosha NP, Waterberg, Spitzkoppe and Walvis Bay, before returning to Jo'burg on the Trans Kalahari Hwy through central Botswana.

I went in early March, and despite it being the rainy season, had only minor problems on a couple of dirtroads in Namibia, where flash floods had deposited thick layers of mud. I managed to get across one in my 2WD, but at the second I had to make a detour to get around.

I used the many excellent campsites along the way, both official and at a few lodges, with the most expensive being the ones at Etosha, which weren't that costly in any case. Gasoline and food was cheaper than in Europe, and everywhere was lush and green (except western namibian desert), which was quite a contrast to the usual images you see from a place like Etosha.

To be able to drive across the borders, I had to have a letter from the car rental company with written permission, and pay a road tax at the border posts (few USD), but otherwise crossing the borders was hasslefree.

As for the international driving license, I have also never had to show it anywhere, but as it usually costs only around 4-5 Euros, I would get one in any case - just to be safe.

Jens

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back