• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron's new Travelscope (1 Viewer)

Have no idea, I suppose it depends on the initial demand for it. Anyway the weather outside has been so awful I don't mind waiting a few days.:C

update on above, scope delivered by parcel force ten minutes ago. You will love the struggle to fit the case over the body it's a very snug fit.:t:

Snap mine arrived about 10ish.Yes the case is extremely snug isn't it! Had a quick play out the window really happy, off down to Gibraltar Point in a bit to test it in the field :)

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you test this little scope properly in the field.

Well I had mine trained on the sheep and birds in the field behind my house. As I also have a small Nikon ED50 scope with a zoom eyepiece I was able to do a side by side comparison, with both on Manfrotto tripods. It was fairly dull and overcast but the images from both scopes was sharp and bright, also easy to get into focus on both. In my very inexpert opinion and through my eyes the new MM3 is just as capable as the Nikon ED50, and it is somewhat cheaper.

In short I am very pleased with my purchase as both scopes are much lighter to cart about in the field. one of them will certainly be in the boot of my car from now on to be ready for quick use.:t:

So Geoff, you were using it with the standard 12-36X eyepiece?

Niels

Not sure, - I have the SDC? eyepiece from my old Opticron ES80 ED. I also took it to the local Frampton reserve this morning and had no trouble looking at and identifying the bird-life in the reed-bed and open waters in front of the hide. Its performance to me was certainly as good as the RSPB and large Opticron scopes which live permanently in the Visitor Centre.

Last edited:
Well I had mine trained on the sheep and birds in the field behind my house. As I also have a small Nikon ED50 scope with a zoom eyepiece I was able to do a side by side comparison, with both on Manfrotto tripods. It was fairly dull and overcast but the images from both scopes was sharp and bright, also easy to get into focus on both. In my very inexpert opinion and through my eyes the new MM3 is just as capable as the Nikon ED50, and it is somewhat cheaper.

In short I am very pleased with my purchase as both scopes are much lighter to cart about in the field. one of them will certainly be in the boot of my car from now on to be ready for quick use.:t:

That is some very pleasing news. I always thought the GS ED 52 was comparable to the Nikon in terms of image quality if not a bit better in terms of apparent brightness and contrast. The only drawback was the slightly larger size and weight. It sounds like the MM3 addresses those concerns.

The eyepiece provided with the scope from In-Focus is the HDF Zoom which gives 12-36x magnification. Hope that helps for those asking.

As this is my first scope I have very little to compare it with. I would say I am very happy with it the amount of detail I am now able to see along with the ability to see things much further away has been brilliant. The quality for something so small is quite remarkable.

Hi Woodwolf,

Due to the first delivery already being sold out. Our next delivery of new stock will be going out to dealers w/b 17th Feb. Your nearest dealer who has ordered the MM3 ED will be The Birders Store in Worcester.

The Birders Store
7 King Charles Place
St Johns, Worcester WR2 5AJ
Open 9am - 4.30pm Tuesday to Saturday
Tel: 01905 312877

Hi Woodwolf,

Due to the first delivery already being sold out. Our next delivery of new stock will be going out to dealers w/b 17th Feb. Your nearest dealer who has ordered the MM3 ED will be The Birders Store in Worcester.

The Birders Store
7 King Charles Place
St Johns, Worcester WR2 5AJ
Open 9am - 4.30pm Tuesday to Saturday
Tel: 01905 312877

Thats great, I know the owner, will speak to Brian.

I spoke with the MM3 distributer here States side and was told the scope will hit the retail market mid Feb. I think I'll wait for this model instead of getting the Nikon ED 50. I'm anxious to read some reviews on the MM3! How does Opticron stack up against the likes of Nikon and Vortex?

Calpal,

I have not compared the Vortex and Opticron GS ED 52 but I did compare the Opticron to the Nikon. Optically the Opticron is a little brighter with a touch more contrast. The Nikon is slilghtly smaller and lighter. So it really boils down to what your priorities are. My only gripe with the Nikon is that the eyepieces are very hard to find.

Calpal,
So it really boils down to what your priorities are.

I agree, Frank. For us, the eyepiece/cup is what will determine our choice. The 13-15 mm eye relief of the Nikon ED50 is not sufficient for the scope to be shared with my wife who wears eyeglasses. The Opticron 12X36 eyepiece is listed as having an acceptable 17-22 eye relief for the HDF 40862, the wide-angle eyepiece we'd be most interested in.
Also, for changing the position of the eyecup as we take turns with the scope, a twist up eyepiece is also a priority. From what I understand, the eyepiece (13-30) typically offered with the Nikon ED50 is a fold up eyecup. Other eyepieces seem to be very awkward to obtain.

Eagle Optics gave us a price of $685 for the scope and the 12-36 eyepiece with availability sometime in February.

Steve

I have now had a try of the Vortex 50, Nikon 50 and today was kindly allowed to have a look through (and a good go on) an Opticron MM3.

The vortex was beautiful, crisp, clear, but failed on the eyepiece and eye cup (rubber fold down). I didn't like that at all. Secondly it was a fixed offering, also I didn't like it.

Nikon 50, 27X fixed wide was AMAZING - clear, crisp, perfect raptor watching scope. However, the zoom eye relief was far far too restrictive and then there was the case of availability and increasing costs.

So this morning I met a lady from the RSPB (on holiday up here in Scotland) had the MM3 with a 24x wide field watching the geese at Findhorn bay. Let me be blunt here - the eyecup is smooth, the focus is so exact it 'drops in' and gets to sharp no hassles what so ever. The coarse is smooth, the fine focus is smooth, and is equal to my eye to the Nikon in every respect but focuses easier.

All in all, I absolutely want one. As for portability, my Hawke Frontier ED binoculars are heavier. I am in love. Seriously, I so badly want one now lol.

I have now had a try of the Vortex 50, Nikon 50 and today was kindly allowed to have a look through (and a good go on) an Opticron MM3.

The vortex was beautiful, crisp, clear, but failed on the eyepiece and eye cup (rubber fold down). I didn't like that at all. Secondly it was a fixed offering, also I didn't like it.

Nikon 50, 27X fixed wide was AMAZING - clear, crisp, perfect raptor watching scope. However, the zoom eye relief was far far too restrictive and then there was the case of availability and increasing costs.

So this morning I met a lady from the RSPB (on holiday up here in Scotland) had the MM3 with a 24x wide field watching the geese at Findhorn bay. Let me be blunt here - the eyecup is smooth, the focus is so exact it 'drops in' and gets to sharp no hassles what so ever. The coarse is smooth, the fine focus is smooth, and is equal to my eye to the Nikon in every respect but focuses easier.

All in all, I absolutely want one. As for portability, my Hawke Frontier ED binoculars are heavier. I am in love. Seriously, I so badly want one now lol.

Yep, I am very impressed with mine, use it regularly now even in really dull weather and it still delivers.|:d||=)|

Yep, I am very impressed with mine, use it regularly now even in really dull weather and it still delivers.|:d||=)|

Yes, it truly does. The SDL2 zoom in it was a giggle, eye relief is superb with an absolute sweet spot around 25X before some drop off at higher mag. However, its not a massive drop in light and that's a shocker for such a small compact unit.

That said, swapping back to the fixed 24X wide field, I was sold. Utterly sold. On a dull grizzly day it really delivered pin sharp images with beautiful contrast. Again I cannot state highly enough what an absolute joy this scope was to use.

I'm absolutely having one :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back