• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lapland (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Hi all

I'm in the early stages of think about a trip to Lapland at the end of May. We're thinking of flying to Skelleftea, in Sweden (due to it cheapness!) and then heading north towards Varanager. I've found a few trip reports, included Paul Chapman's one on BF, but any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Steve

I particular I'm interested in Steller's eider. The Gosney guide (written in 2010) says they've been diificult in late spring and summer in recent years. Does anyone know if that's still the case and where have been the best spots?

You've checked cloudbirder?

Didn't manage to catch any Steller's on my trip late May/early June ish time 2011, but I think Milda's party did get 2 or so (on the shores of the island you get to from a nice tunnel and then leave for the famous Brunnich's island by boat trip (whose name escapes me at the mo)).

Last edited:
I also saw on my last trip in June, about three years ago. A cheap winter weekend to Estonia will however net you a whole bunch without much effort.

Three Steller's Eider present late June last year in Vasdo harbour, check the blog below for a brief trip report.

Didn't manage to catch any Steller's on my trip late May/early June ish time 2011, but I think Milda's party did get 2 or so (on the shores of the island you get to from a nice tunnel and then leave for the famous Brunnich's island by boat trip (whose name escapes me at the mo)).

We didn't see Steller's around the island, but we saw one or two female type birds in the other fjord, can't remember the exact place now. I'll dig my notes and post the name later.

The island was Hornoya. It was a boat trip from Vardo and one of the highlights of the whole trip. Short video could be seen here.

But if no success in Norway, the visit to Estonia in winter time is wise advice. Just don't do it too early, we were in December one year and there were no Steller's yet, but later in the season you could find great numbers of them.

Last edited:
We didn't see Steller's around the island, but we saw one or two female type birds in the other fjord, can't remember the exact place now. I'll dig my notes and post the name later.

Trying to remember where some one else has seen something is all very well when you can't even remember where you've been yourself ;) I certainly looked around Vardo then, don't necessarily feel quite so bad about dipping now ...

Any clue as to the rough date before/when you find your notes? Not got anything written down anywhere to hand ...

Any clue as to the rough date before/when you find your notes? Not got anything written down anywhere to hand ...

I saw one female Steller's Eider, among the Common Eiders, along the Vardo coast, the exact coordinates of the place are 70.381975,31.079099.

Our trip was in the period of 19 June - 1 July 2011.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back