• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aussie Gulls carry superbug (1 Viewer)

Interesting...wonder why in Australia? It's always amazing to me how there are countless deadly things that can kill you down there in OZ...deadliest snakes,spiders,crocodiles,jellyfish..now this bird's superbug! :t:

I still want to take a trip there before I die! :-O

While I was carrying out a urban breeding Yellow-legged Gull survey in the city of Lagos, Portugal in 2008, I was contacted by a Swedish team of ornithologists and doctors who wanted to know of good sites to collect gull pooh where I was working. They came down to Lagos and nearby Portimão fishing ports to collect samples - their aim was to detect antibiotics in the food chain via gulls. They drove down from Sweden in a van kitted out with a freezer to keep the samples below -40ºC, to be analysed in Sweden.

I never got any feedback regarding the results but I did get a thank-you.

So this problem has been studied for a while now.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back