• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Dortmund (1 Viewer)

Vivek Mam

Hello Everyone,

Apologies if I have not posted in the right forum.I will be staying in Dortmund for six months and am looking for birding and bird photography opportunities over the weekends. Request my new found friends in here to help me with necessary information about the same. Thank you in advance.
Cheers
Vivek

HI Vivek Man, and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. Being from the states I’m not sure where Dortmund is in England but we have a forum that might help try posting in the appropriate subforum HERE.

HI Vivek Man, and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. Being from the states I’m not sure where Dortmund is in England
Well that might just be because it's in Germany.

Vivek - Dortmund is quite an OK place for local birding. There's even a "Dortmundbirder" on the forum.

A must-visit website will be https://www.ornitho.de/index.php?m_id=1 (it is better if you subscribe and even better once you have entered some data yourself).

Go to that website, switch it to English if necessary, click "- Last seven days" on the left and then choose from the "sites" NW (the state, Northrhine-Westphalia) and then the district (DO, the abbreviation for Dortmund). You'll now get a list of all sightings, but as long as you are not logged in, you cannot see the exact locations (this is annoying if the sighting is given for a map reference, but most sightings in Dortmund are made for a named locality).

The only site I've visited in Dortmund is the Hochwasserrückhaltebecken Dortmund-Mengede (a high water retention basin), which can be good for water birds. Not too far away is the Kemnader Stausee. You may be more interested in the wood birds – unfortunately you'll miss out on many of the summer breeders, but all woodpeckers will be around.

You'll likely see a few thousand Common Cranes migrating over in late autumn (if they don't fly over when you're at work!)

There is not a lot of local internet activity, so better put your request in the Germany section here: https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=537

Hi Vivek and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hi Lisa, thank you for the warm welcome. I will search for the appropriate German sub forum for sure .

Hola Fritz73!Thank you for the shout out.i am excited to be here.

Xenospiza,I truly appreciate the time you have taken out for such a detailed response and thank you so much for the useful leads which I will bookmark right away.

Hi Delia, thank you for the wishes and the welcome too. I will try my best to ensure that I keep everyone updated about my new found European lifers.

Hello Kits, thank you for making me feel at home here along with everyone else . I am sure this forum is the perfect start to my birding journey in Germany.

Have a nice day everyone and happy birding!

Well that might just be because it's in Germany. . .

Ahh, that is why it was semi familiar! Well, wouldn’t have known where it was there either! Last time I was in Germany there was still an east and a west!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back