• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Network connection help please. (1 Viewer)

Sue Wright

Hi everyone, I wonder if it's possible for someone to be able to help us please.

Our Computers are both linked via being networked, but when doing the job with both towers at the shop the chap put the main connection on my husband's computer, making it necessary for his to always be on for me to use the internet, even if he doesn't need it. It didn't worry us too much at the time, but as he barely uses it for anything other than photography, but does need an internet connection, it would make far more sense to have the parts (whatever they are) swapped round so that I don't need his on all the time to be able to go on-line.

I hope I've put that down correctly, but just in case; after putting the PCs on, my PC clicks into his so that the ISP connection on his comes on for both to be on-line.

At present we aren't on broadband as our ISP let us down so we're waiting a few more days to be connected to another. (I have mine on a dial up for now) So, is it possible for us to do the job ourselves - with guidance from Andrew or anyone else here who knows what I'm talking about? (Though I'm not sure I do!) Or do we need to take it back to the shop?

We both have Windows XP and the PCs are within 6 feet of each other.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Sue.

Last edited:
Umm - ICS (http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/) Sue?

Your husbands machine has the modem (needed to make the dial-up connection) - maybe it won't fit or work in your machine or they couldn't be bothered to ask which was the machine most used on the 'net (not being sexist or anything but in my experience, lots of techies assume the man's machine is mostly used on the 'net ... they can't be bothered to ask!).

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

Thanks so much for getting back to me, especially so quickly. I suspect your right with the assumption of the techies that the man's machine is the one most used. Ah well, worth asking I suppose.

One more query if I can Andy, it might sound daft, but we're having a new modem sent from the new ISP.....I don't suppose for a minute that makes any difference????

Thanks a lot,

Sue.

Sue am I right in reading that you said you are going over to Broadband in a few days? Why not wait till then and setup the broadband modem on your machine? Your Hubby could then use this as his connections by changing his internet connection options, the easiest way to do this would be to run the network setup making yours the main machine, ensuring you setup to share your resources, modem etc. then if you can run the same setup on hubby ensuring it runs to utilise your internet connection. Most broadband modems now are external and plug into a usb port by the way. You may actually find another way to do it would be to use a adsl router which usually have more than 1 connection you could then both connect independently to the net, this is how I currently do it and have 4 pcs wired plus mine also has wireless option so I can log on with the laptop.
Bit long winded but hope it is helpful.

Hi, just a couple thoughts...: Anytime you use Windows to share an internet connection, you are using Windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), this requires both PC's to be 'on' and connected, in order to 'share' the connection, logically.

An easier method is to connect a 'router' to the internet connection. Essentially, you then connect the broadband modem to the router, and put the ISPs connection information into the router. Then, either computer can connect to the internet through the router, and the other computer need not be turned on. ICS, internet connection sharing, in Windows has other problems, both PCs will get faster access via a router.

Routers are fairly straightforward and simple, and not very expensive. A decent router is easily less than $50, with wireless routers costing a bit more. A wireless router allows a PC to connect to the router, thus the internet connection, without being 'wired' to it physically. You'll need some extra hardware for that, but its not expensive either.

Routers have other benefits, they function as a 'hardware firewall.' In other words, the router has the IP address of the connection, each individual PC has its own IP address assigned by the router, making each individual PC somewhat "invisible" to the outside world. I recommend either Linksys or NetGear as a reliable brand, I've used both and they are excellent.

Good luck!

stuartlawrie said:
Sue am I right in reading that you said you are going over to Broadband in a few days? Why not wait till then and setup the broadband modem on your machine? You may actually find another way to do it would be to use a adsl router which usually have more than 1 connection you could then both connect independently to the net, this is how I currently do it and have 4 pcs wired plus mine also has wireless option so I can log on with the laptop.
Bit long winded but hope it is helpful.

Hi Stuart and thank you so much for all you've said. No worry about long winded, it needs to be for me in order that it sinks in, so in actual fact you've been extremely helpful.

You're right in your thoughts about going back onto broadband on Wednesday, so yes - it is best for the modem to be connected up to mine.

With what Ryan and yourself have said does it seem that you both agree that a router would be the best way for us to do it? We're not too computer minded, so would that still mean to take the PCs back to the shop for them to do, or is it perhaps possible for us to do it....so long as the instructions are long-winded!!!

Thanks so very much Stuart, just what we needed.

Sue.

ryanibis said:
Hi, just a couple thoughts...: Anytime you use Windows to share an internet connection, you are using Windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), this requires both PC's to be 'on' and connected, in order to 'share' the connection, logically.

An easier method is to connect a 'router' to the internet connection. Essentially, you then connect the broadband modem to the router, and put the ISPs connection information into the router. Then, either computer can connect to the internet through the router, and the other computer need not be turned on. ICS, internet connection sharing, in Windows has other problems, both PCs will get faster access via a router.

Routers are fairly straightforward and simple, and not very expensive. A decent router is easily less than $50, with wireless routers costing a bit more. A wireless router allows a PC to connect to the router, thus the internet connection, without being 'wired' to it physically. You'll need some extra hardware for that, but its not expensive either.

Routers have other benefits, they function as a 'hardware firewall.' In other words, the router has the IP address of the connection, each individual PC has its own IP address assigned by the router, making each individual PC somewhat "invisible" to the outside world. I recommend either Linksys or NetGear as a reliable brand, I've used both and they are excellent. Good luck!

Hi Ryan and many thanks to you also. More great help! So to you both I think I'd ask - if we used the router, which to your minds would be the very best (and easiest) way of doing it, wireless or ordinary?

We really do appreciate your very kind help as ICS didn't really mean a lot to us at all, not exactly IT minded in any way, but want to get it right.

Very many thanks to you also Ryan and any more advice would be very grateful for.

Sue.

Glad I helped Sue. If you intend to keep both your computers within 6 feet or 2m of each other, I'd go for the ordinary router with wired connections. They're cheaper and easier to setup, and unless you need to have one of the computers in another area its the best way to go.

Almost all broadband (high speed) service providers will offer a router as part of their package, either to rent or buy. I'd opt for the buy; however see what they cost, like I said they're not hard to setup. Your provider will likely tell you which models are compatible.

Hope it works out, cheers

Your most welcome Sue, as Ryan says given you are only 6 ft apart I would go for a wired router, you wont need the shop to do anything for you and they are relatively easy to setup. Not sure about the states but over here most providers dont usually give you a choice and normally just give a normal modem.
My personal preference for routers are those made by Linksys, they are very simple to setup, though you will have to tell them when purchasing whether you are on ADSL broadband or cable, your provider can help with stuff like that.

Just to clarify a few things that have been said.

You already have a modem, but most routers now-a-days come with a built in modem so you may not need it.

(in simple terms) Wired connections are more secure than Wireless connections. With a Wireless connection you need to worry about encryption and the likes and there is always the danger of a 'next door neighbour' or passer by using your wireless connection, this obvisouly isn't the case with a Wired connection as they would need to plug the connection into the router.

Most routers come with a 4 or 5 port 'switch' at the back, enabling you to plug each PC directly into the router, but be careful because not all of them do.

stuartlawrie, says he prefres Linksys routers. up until 6 months ago I would have 100% agreed with him, but for me they seem to have gone downhill a little, Netgear are an excellent alternative and ever so slightly cheaper. Of course it's your own personal choce.

BT used to have a nice diagram explaining what equipment you needed on their website, but I can't find it. i will keep looking though.

If you want to lookup more information on ADSl routers or terminology goto www.adslguide.org.uk, its an excellent site.

Hi Ryan, Stuart and Wally,

Thank you all so very much for the great advice. The PCs will be remaining the 6' apart so I think it seems as though the wired routed would be the best to go for. You're right Ryan, our new ISP did provide a free Modem, but as

We're definately on ADSL Stuart.....thankfully that was about all I could work out by myself! Thanks so much for the reassurance about not needing to take the towers back to the shop, as to be honest, if we get stuck our ISP has said they will help, but that was before we'd signed up (!!) so here's hoping!

Wally, it does seem as though you're right about the modem being built into the Routers as I've just come from looking on PC World's web site and couldn't see one without. I do know that IF we were to wish to leave our new ISP we shall need to send the free one back, so on reflection it does seem as though the 2 in 1 is our best option. Regarding which make, I've noted the differences between yours and Stuart's experiences.......and will let our ISP throw the dice! I've also noted about the 4 or 5 port 'switch' at the back, so thanks you very much. Thanks for the link Wally and IF you should find the diagram I'd be most grateful to have the link.

Very many thanks to you ALL Stuart, Ryan and Wally as you've all been so very helpful and given great advice and we both really appreciate it. I'll let you know if all goes well!!!

Sue.

Hi again Ryan, Stuart and Wally,

Thanks to you all for the great help you gave me with our PC connection problems. We DID go for the NetGear Router (4 port) and it's working brilliantly and enabling my husband to close his PC down when he's finished with it and us not wasting electricity whilst I'm still using mine.

The new ISP is working great....so far also, so fingers crossed!

Very many thanks again for all the help from you all. A very Merry Christmas to you all and your families as well as a very safe, healthy and Happy New Year. All best wishes,

Sue.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back