• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shetland autumn rarity thread (1 Viewer)

The Woodchat Shrike on Mainland today is not a new bird. Not sure about the Olive-backed Pipit on Fair Isle - anyone know? (Edit - I don't think I had the Woodchat in when first seen last week).

The Blue-winged Teal is the first on Shetland for over 20 years.

Last edited:
With just over a week to go, I'd like to say thank you for keeping this thread up to date and for bringing together a bit of competitive fun during the Autumn. How times have changed in around 40 years with Shetland firmly becoming the new "Sciĺlies". Both groups have a fantastic history of records and no doubt will continue to do so.
All the best Stephen.

With just over a week to go, I'd like to say thank you for keeping this thread up to date and for bringing together a bit of competitive fun during the Autumn. How times have changed in around 40 years with Shetland firmly becoming the new "Sciĺlies". Both groups have a fantastic history of records and no doubt will continue to do so.
All the best Stephen.

Thank you for the kind words Pyrtle.

23 October

Bressay

Treecreeper - national rarity?

Apparently photographed, so I am assuming that there is enough there to prove Northern Treecreeper which is BBRC but will amend if not.

24 October

Mainland

Siberian type Stonechat - National Rarity

Fair Isle

Mediiterranean Gull - Shetland Rarity

The Med Gull isn't from today, it was last week but because it didn't go on Shetland WhatsApp I forgot it is a description bird in the archipelago.

Today's Richard's Pipit on Mainland isn't a description bird in case anyone was wondering, I had to double check myself. The next few days see some easterlies so we may be in for an exciting finish.

Final Scores

Fair Isle 11, 7, 4
Mainland 9, 12, 13
Unst 9, 6, 2
Foula 4, 1, 3
Whalsay 3, 0, 1
Bressay 2, 1, 2
Yell 2, 0, 2
Fetlar 1, 0, 1
Skerries 1, 0, 0
Papa Stour 0, 0, 0

Whilst there will be some lesser rarities missing overall Fair Isle held on in terms of national rarities thanks to the influx of Arctic Warblers relatively early on.

Outside the big three in the 'local derby' Whalsay thumped Skerries. Somebody clearly went birding on Papa Stour as there was a published record, but I don't think anyone went there for very long. Given what gets found on west mainland these days I think Papa Stour could actually get quite a bit of stuff.

I think stopping at the end of October was justified by two White-billed Divers today - it's winter!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back