Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
ZEISS Summer Savings - Experience unique moments of nature. Save up to £250 on selected ZEISS Binoculars - limited time only!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Best bird guides by region...Central and South America

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 3rd March 2019, 23:17   #101
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy View Post
I don't know whether this has come up here before, but after posting trip reports recently, it struck me again. BF - and many others - consider Mexico to be part of North America. But going through these "sticky threads", it seems clear that Mexico belongs to Central America in the opinion of those who discuss the topic of FGs.
Howell and Webb tell you that the major change in Avifauna happens at the isthmus of Tehuantepec. However, Andy Kratter here in BF has argued that the change in Avifauna at the Rio Grande (but going north of the sky-islands of SE Arizona) is a stronger change than the change in Avifauna at the isthmus of Tehuantepec. The areas of Yucatan certainly do not induce a strong change in Avifauna at the border of Mexico and it's southern neighbors. Therefore, areas East and South of the Isthmus are certainly Central America, and the rest of Mexico you can go with who you believe in

Niels

Just moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 4th March 2019, 06:55   #102
andyadcock

I've always thought of Mexico as being the Southern part of North America but in terms of the avifauna, there's obviously a crossover zone where birds species become increasingly tropical.

This argument exists in Europe too with what is or isn't in the Western Palearctic and I've said before that there should probably be a recognised zone of transition such as Wallacea where Asian species, become increasingly Australasian.

Last edited by andyadcock : Monday 4th March 2019 at 07:26.
Old Thursday 28th March 2019, 01:48   #103
Dan Miller

Haven't seen this mentioned yet- The second edition of Garrigues & Dean's The Birds of Costa Rica: A Field Guide has been printed in Spanish as Aves de Costa Rica: Guía de Campo.

It is bigger (and a little heavier) than the English version - 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 vs 5 x 7 3/4 (inches). Page count is almost the same: 429 to 425.

Within, layout is the same, except in español; common names are given in Spanish, with local CR names also included. English names are also given for each as part of the description. The quick index on the inside back cover is in Spanish. The added pages allow for a full index in English as well as the one in Spanish.

Because the layout of both is the same, it is easy for folks using either guide to refer to the same page while identifying birds in the field. A huge plus, in my opinion.

I bought my copy locally in Monteverde, not sure if it is available online yet.
Old Thursday 28th March 2019, 17:46   #104
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Miller View Post
Haven't seen this mentioned yet- The second edition of Garrigues & Dean's The Birds of Costa Rica: A Field Guide has been printed in Spanish as Aves de Costa Rica: Guía de Campo.

……………..
That's very good news. I think that every country should have at least one FG in its own language. Unless they have so many languages like in New Guinea, of course.
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: